HybridZ

Anybody sell FB whole doors?

AK-Z

Just interested before I spend a sh*t load in trying to maKe my own.

I don't want to make them if I don't have to.

And I have a trick little door hinge setup that I want to try, but the weight of the metal door concerns me.

For those that have done FB molds before, what are the procedures you used and the "Oh, I should of thought of that happening" I might come across?

I've messed with FB before when I helped fix a huge hole in my dad's boat, but thats about it and was a while ago.

Won't be able to try untill I get back from korea (working) and that won't be for another 2 months O_O

EDIT: maybe this should go in the fab area. admins/mods please move if you think it should. :D

I have searched and found all the threads talking about how heavy the doors are, but haven't found anything about anyone selling GRP or Carbon fiber doors. I didnt turn up much Google searching either :-(

I have two sets of doors for my car, so will leave one set stock with wind up glass, and was planning on going nuts with the 2nd set, cutting out the inner skin and crash beam and hole sawing all the way around the front where the hindes mount and also the bottom of the door as well, fitting lexan windows off course as well. - However if i can buy nice lightweight quality composite doors that might be a better way to head.

Someone must make and sell them!

Is the japanese aftermarket parts market for Z's comparable to that of the Mustang here in the U.S.?

You can buy all sorts of crap for the mustangs for dirt cheap but you can hardley find any substantial parts for the Datsuns, and the custom parts are very expensive.

You can buy all sorts of crap for the mustangs for dirt cheap but you can hardley find any substantial parts for the Datsuns, and the custom parts are very expensive.

that's because the fox body mustangs are the most often modified sports cars.

How heavy are the stock 240z doors? I thought they were pretty light... Are you planning on just running a skin basically and using a cage as a form of crash protection? Or are you going to engineer the doors to be strong enough with fiberglass? Just wondering.

Full race car, with full cage and decent side intrusion protection, doors are for looks only and too stop air ramming into the car :wink:

Nice! Can anyone read Japanese? I would like to know what it says about the doors, what they weigh etc and if they are finished ready to bolt on with window frames etc or semi finished and dont have the mounting points etc??

Anyone in Japan that could help me buy these and help ship to me? Come in Stony???

Parts for old cars are becomming rare in Japan, thanks to the Recycle nazi's most of the old stock are gone.

As for parts in Japan, I have a yahoo Japan account and I can have most parts shipped to my wifes house there and then sent here.

As for the FRP parts, most of them are made by some guy that just gets the idea to make that type of stuff and sell on auctions.

Nice! Can anyone read Japanese? I would like to know what it says about the doors, what they weigh etc and if they are finished ready to bolt on with window frames etc or semi finished and dont have the mounting points etc??

Anyone in Japan that could help me buy these and help ship to me? Come in Stony???

Doors are brand new. Never mounted. There are 2 prices in the auction. Auction winning price pays tax. The buy it now price has tax included. The seller sells these at his store and usually in stock. If stock is out 4-5 days for new ones.

Seems like he sells these as a middle man. Doors look finished but need to cut-out / drill mounting areas for hinges, handles and window frame.

I have never tried to move something this size 3rd party. However blackcat and DHL use each other as sub contractors when crossing between Japan and the West. Shipping would be relatively easy going that route but would be far more expensive than the US post office on a military base in Japan.

Guest 302 ZED

I’m buying some doors from these guys in Japan. It should be in Australia in about a month’s time.

This is a beta translation of the original Japanese so don’t laugh too much at some of the Engrish.

I can’t comment on the finish or the weight as I don’t have my hands on them yet.

fibreglass Z doors from Japan

fibreglass body panels from the same source

The company also look like they make some decent ZG noses as well so I may be getting one as well while the Aussie dollar to Jap yen ratio is good. I’d love to be able to afford to go all fiberglass (hood, hatch, doors, bonnet, guards, etc)

I’m buying some doors from these guys in Japan. It should be in Australia in about a month’s time.

This is a beta translation of the original Japanese so don’t laugh too much at some of the Engrish.

I can’t comment on the finish or the weight as I don’t have my hands on them yet.

fibreglass Z doors from Japan

fibreglass body panels from the same source

The company also look like they make some decent ZG noses as well so I may be getting one as well while the Aussie dollar to Jap yen ratio is good. I’d love to be able to afford to go all fiberglass (hood, hatch, doors, bonnet, guards, etc)

These do look like a really high quality part, even have carbon Fiber reinforcements for the hinge mounting points etc.

door_30k_photo0002_thumb.jpg

door_30p_photo001_thumb.jpg

I'm going to be making the whole door.. Waiting for materials to be shipped for now.

I don't know if I'd sell any, because the door I started with wasn't perfect, so in the end the door skin wouldn't be perfect. For what I'm planning to make, (a lot of parts) out of CF, it would take me longer than I really want to work on each part for that long.

Anyway. The door has the key hole shaved, and all the holes for trim.

The inside will be flat, maybe a latch to get out. I will use a lexan window with a vent, and maybe a little area that slides open.

not sure what his plans for them are, whether he is just doing skins for himself, or whole doors, or selling anything, or what, but monkeyt88 has been working on a pair of doors for fiberglass molds for a little while now....

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=124523

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone now where I can get the aftermarket stuff for 280zx (body parts), from Japan- like front air dams or carbon fiber pieces? Maybe like the hood vents for '83 turbo or door handle peices, door panels, dash trim,

maybe even a cowl hood? Also, there is a set of ground effects from back in the 80's that was available in the J.C. Whittney when I was a kid that

just looked great on the ZX coupe that left the fact. bumpers alone-and just defined the body so nicely. A member on this site has the set that I loose sleep over, and was wondering if anyone knew of another set anywhere for sale or to lend to get molds of? Check out 280zedex (a member here), and you will see his black ZX and you will see the set I speak of.

Please help.

• 2 weeks later...
These do look like a really high quality part, even have carbon Fiber reinforcements for the hinge mounting points etc.

They do look like high quality doors but 110,000 yen is over 1,000 USD plus you have to ship them overseas = $$$.

There is a guy out of Canada making fiberglass doors for $349.00 (US) each + shipping. www.showcars-bodyparts.com/