HybridZ

Results from Backhalving my Z

zthis

Last year i ran a best of 10.93 at 121mph with a 1.58 60 ft but after destroying more half shafts and u joints last summer i installed a 4 link with a Dana 60 28 13.5 ET streets. First day at the track without any adjustments I was running 11.13 at 120 with a 1.55 60 ft. Car leaves very smooth and straight with no tire spin I just need more power

to get the 60fts down. Next weekend NOS stay tuned for results

dsc0088el1.jpg

Sweet.

Any pictures of the conversion?

I'm having trouble deciding where to place the main hoop for the cage, and that will effect rear end placement.

I almost think I should of bought a 2+2, just so that main hoop placement wouldn't be an issue. :lol:

i'll see if i can find some pics. I already had a hoop in the car that was basically touching the stock wheel wells at the bottom when i installed the

2x3 cross member I put it centered at the bolt hole for the seat belt to maximize room for longer 4 link bars this may have been a mistake as it cut down on seat position. I then welded another piece of behind the 2x3 to weld to the existing roll bar hoop.

• 2 weeks later...

MAJOR UPDATE ....

today I tried by NOS ran 210 shot of NOS it stumbled of the line a bit but I ran a personal best of 10.004 at 135.01 with a 1.433 60 ft. The car has a 9 it it for sure heres a picture of the launch....

dsc0453kt9.jpg

Looks like you need to stiffen the right rear shock in compression and limit the front end travel. It needs to pick up both wheels the same and not very much to be as quick as it can be.

We run 5 clicks harder on the right rear shock QA1's and have limited the travel to ride height sitting still.

That is awesome. Near 9 second run is mind boggling. Our best (240ZV8) is 13.3 but we are working on it this winter and hope to get it down to the 11's with nitrous and slicks. We built the 240Z to run top end races,(Silverstate Nevada race) so it will need a major overhaul to be fast in the 1/4 mile. Our other car is a 1960 Falcon with 428scj engine and nitrous. We just spent $3,000 worth of go fast goodies for next year and hope to be in the 9's with it. As you know, the money never stops flowing into a project. I really do not want to know how much I will need to spend.

Great job... I to would like to see how you installed the 9inch Ford rear end.

:2thumbs:

Looks like you need to stiffen the right rear shock in compression and limit the front end travel. It needs to pick up both wheels the same and not very much to be as quick as it can be.

We run 5 clicks harder on the right rear shock QA1's and have limited the travel to ride height sitting still.

Thanks for the advice ...i forgot I had the shocks on the softest settings damn street car. Front is limited with chain maybe time to try a link tigher.

I am still playing with the front end travel somewhat. Any rise in the front at launch due to uncompressing suspension is supposedly not desireable if your trying to tame wheelies. Eventually you have to tune the rear suspension once you get the front figured out as to what seems to be best. One thing at a time or you never know what worked.

What you drag guys might try is run a lot of rebound in the front shocks to pick up the wheel/tire and limit the rise (you'll still get the weight transfer). This also lets the front suspension droop over a short time period so that when the car comes down there's some suspension travel left.

You'll have to experiment with the rebound valving and front spring rate to control the rate of droop. Ideally the front tires are just touching the pavement from launch through the very first part of the run.

If you're really good with the shock tuning, you'll adjust the front compression damping and spring rate to let the front of the car drop as far as possible by mid track to improve the aerodynamics (air over the top of the car is better then air under the car).

• 2 weeks later...

wow...

drag racing, v8s in Zs, solid rear axles, wheelies, all this is stuff that has no appeal to me TBH.. if anything, the opposite... im a twisties kinda guy, I love my stock datsun motor, etc etc blah blah blah.....

but still. WOW. I am seriously impressed. Mind == boggled. :2thumbs:

I upped the NOS to 180 of the line and 250 as soon as it rolled out witnesses stated the front of the car was 2ft of ground and even could see it go higher when the second stage was applied. Unforunately the timing sensor went down on my 9 second? pass so NO TIME SLIP and no NOS left to run again.

Dr. Hunt thanks for the shock adjustment tip it really helped

Wizard heres your pic

zbackcy9.jpg