HybridZ

rear spoiler aero add on

1 tuff z

early last year, after spending much time reading and [trying to] digesting the wind tunnel results i came up with this idea. purchased some aluminum [scrap], laid out a pattern, transferred it and voila`! used a jig saw to cut it, hand filed the major irregularities, measured [at least twice] drilled/countersunk holes and finally mounted it. sanded it with 1500 to give it a brushed finish [easier to maintain than polished]. my thoughts were to extend the spoiler to clean up the rear of the car a bit, plus i was thinking it would add a few visual hp's:-D. overhead shot added. i determined that for the first 2 attachments [beginning from the outer edges] i'd drill through and use some sort of keeper, the others screw directly into the urethane. i would up using a #10 ss phillips screw, 1" for the drill thru's and 3/4" for the others. countersunk the holes and seemed to work ok. pics...

DSC06463.JPG

DSC06466.JPG

DSC06469.JPG

That looks great. Very nice mod.

It was unclear if a slightly taller lip really helped all that much. We went right to the Whale-Tail which added a great deal more area and height. I am all for the more is better approach. But the best by far with the lowest drag penalty was the Wing Type spoiler. We had to set the rear edge of the wing as low as it would go. This was due to the airflow moving DOWN the hatch instead of level with the ground.

If you really wanted to try something that might payoff with lower drag than the lip spoilers. Extend the upper rear lip of the car. Imagine something more like the California wing that MSA sells. look at the rear spoilers on Land Speed Record Camaros. They extend them rearward more than upward.

The rear lip of the hatch is curved in every dimension. It is very hard to get aluminum bent to properly fit the rear-edge of the hatch. It might be easier to try this with a Land-Speed-Record style extension.

I do think it looks neat and I do have a spoiler on my car. But I did see an article about a 911 normally aspirated in a car magazine a few years back. It was faster around a road race course without the spoiler. What it made up in corner speed was more than lost in straight away speed. Now it could be different on a Z, and I do prefer the look with a spoiler. Aerodynamics is real touchy what you gain somewhere you could loose somewhere else.

Looks good David - now you need to make a matching splitter and you'll be set.

the splitter, so i am sure that i understand correctly-like a duckbill that attaches to my air dam-at the bottom?

if so, that will be my next project. more alum, and make a piece that acts like an undertray. from the air dam back to the crossmember...

thanks to everyone for the compliments! i always feel comfortable posting here on hbz, as it's a forum where [little or] no bashing goes on. more of acceptance and constructive feedback.