HybridZ

Good Cheap way to lower?

Hey, I havent touched the suspension on my sbc 240z yet. Whats a cheap way to lower my car? I'm looking to spend less than 1000, the less the better. I want the tires to be under the fender or just touching the lip. Not literally touching, but you know. Also, these parts have to be avaliable.

Thanks for the help

Uh, cut the springs about 2 turns?

And ride stiff as a board! hahaha

katman, you crack me up!

He'll be pogo-ing down the street, assuming he didn't put some seriously damped shocks on it too! - even if he did, then he'd be airborne a lot in bumpy curves!

For a track only car I guess you could, but I'd be it would still be too stiff.

No, the cheapest way out is a set of springs front and rear and decent shocks for 'em. (without adequate shocks, the springs would cause control problems over bumps because they overpower the damping ability of the stock shocks).

But of course, katman knows all this, which is why he cracked me up....

i went with grould control coilovers and mr2 front struts...sectioned the strut tubes, and also have TTT (technotoytuning.com) camber plates up top. all together it's about a grand. ~400 for kit, ~200 for mr2 struts, ~400 for front and rear camber plates....but i can weld. i can now drop the car as low as i want...get the floor supports a couple inches off the ground literally.

P7111701.jpg it sits pretty low.

And ride stiff as a board! hahaha

katman, you crack me up!

He'll be pogo-ing down the street, assuming he didn't put some seriously damped shocks on it too! - even if he did, then he'd be airborne a lot in bumpy curves!

For a track only car I guess you could, but I'd be it would still be too stiff.

No, the cheapest way out is a set of springs front and rear and decent shocks for 'em. (without adequate shocks, the springs would cause control problems over bumps because they overpower the damping ability of the stock shocks).

But of course, katman knows all this, which is why he cracked me up....

Cheap was the only design requirement he mentioned. :)

Actually 2 coils off stock 240 springs only takes you to about 107F/130R. Now hack about 2.5 turns off a 280Z 2+2 rear and you're up to 180. Yee haa.

You can get Illumina struts for about $400+shipping on the web... (JDMwerks on ebay is who I got mine from)

Then about $350 for the coilover parts (Jason's garage style...not good for super low ride heights though)

Then your welding price on top of that which was free for me. TIG welding is the best for coilovers but MIG will do fine too.

• 3 weeks later...

If you really want to do it cheap, just pour eight or nine hundred pounds of concrete on the floorboards. If you visit a construction site doing concrete work, they're happy to give away the leftovers that have passed their prime for foundational useage.

Of course, you might have to raise your seat position and pedals a little bit... ;)