HybridZ

Picture request Jegs roll cage

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys should really have a look at 74 5.0l 's spec sheet on his main hoop design...just buy the tube, take it to a local exhuast shop and walla! main hoop done...no fuss no muss!!! and you dont have alot of useless parts you have to modify to make work (IE- your not paying for stuff you dont use!!) buy the rest of the tube and fab it up yourself! as for the $200 notcher...i vote for MULL's way of notching...measure are to cut out...draw line and hand notch with a $20 pawn shop grinder!!! every penny counts right! I'll probably be doing the exact same cage after she comes back from being blasted!

7833tubeDimensions_thumb.jpg

7833PICT0006_thumb.jpg

7833PICT0017_thumb.jpg

7833PICT0046_thumb.jpg

cage builders in this area (ATL) are extremely prideful in their work...IE i got one quote for a 5k STARTING bid on a 10-12 pt cage from a reputable builder down the road...he would probably charge 500 to bend some pipe...but i do agree with you about not wasting money to end up with a bent piece of metal worth its weight! If you have a good and reasonably priced build in your area then that would be the way to go...if not shop around some exhaust shops (they bend pipe all day too)

This is for the guys looking to do their own coping on tubing.

This is a neat little program I've found a while back, it allows you to type in a few things, and then it will generate a wavy line, which when you print it out, and roll it on to the end of the tube you're cutting, it will give you a pattern where to cut.

http://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

450_copingcalk.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ivan280zt,

Sorry it took so long to take these for you but I have been busy and pulled in many ways. I hope it is not to late, but maybe you will get some ideas. The cage has been certified to 8.50 1/4 mile.

John

PS: the rear back bar behind the seats where the harnes bolts to was custom made, not jegs. Also the rear bars were custom made, only the hoop and window / dash bars were jegs.

DSCF0207_thumb.JPG

DSCF0208_thumb.JPG

DSCF0209_thumb.JPG

DSCF0210_thumb.JPG

DSCF0211_thumb.JPG

you guys should really have a look at 74 5.0l 's spec sheet on his main hoop design...just buy the tube, take it to a local exhuast shop and walla! main hoop done...no fuss no muss!!! and you dont have alot of useless parts you have to modify to make work (IE- your not paying for stuff you dont use!!) buy the rest of the tube and fab it up yourself! as for the $200 notcher...i vote for MULL's way of notching...measure are to cut out...draw line and hand notch with a $20 pawn shop grinder!!! every penny counts right! I'll probably be doing the exact same cage after she comes back from being blasted!

This is what I did. I sent Dan's jpeg to a local cage builder and went and picked up the bent main hoop. Worked great, the hoop was TIGHT (the way it should be) to the sides of the car. I left the length long and trimmed to fit.

As for the tubing notches, I just used the program the other day for the first time. It is WAAAAAY easier. Sometimes you have tubes coming together in weird angles and can't do that, but if you can by all means go for it. I measured by using tape to simulate the tube and a digital protractor to get the angle. Worked great.

If someone does use Dan's tube specs, be aware that paper towel rolls are 1 5/8" ID so they'll plug right onto the tube. If you have a weird junction to figure out where the program doesn't work, it's useful to be able to figure out the notch on a piece of cardboard then slide it over the tube and have it right.

+1 on the metal geek program. made life so much easier for 90 degree cuts. once it started to get off of 90, i just went slower. after a buch of tubes being notched, i have not used it much because i have figured out the notches in my head. as for tube coming into each other at really wierd angles, paper towel tubes are your best friend. way cheaper than messing up a tube and having to go get more.

jimbo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I finally finished my cage.

[ATTACH]9791[/ATTACH]

That looks great!!!!!

Sorry, I didn't read through the fine details, but what cage kit is that? Jegs?

I've put a Jegs cage in a 71 Nova before, but I haven't worked on Z-cars..yet..still looking for a good 240 that's not a total dog or a beauty queen. :P

Have any troubles to speak of?