HybridZ

E-Brake Strength..

Just wondering how many people can move the car with the ebrake all the way on. I just mounted mine yesterday and now Ill put it on when I have the car sitting outside and when I go to move it with the engine, I forget to disengage it but I can still move the car easily. Is this normal? Should I adjust the linkage, or could it be the acutal brake mechanism?

Well the linkage will only determine at what point it engages/disengages. Not the strength really, I can adjust it where I can pull on it more but that makes it drag slightly. So If its not the linkage what can I look at doing?

Ill be going through all the brakes and suspension in a few weeks so If it is in the brake itself Ill fix it.

• 1 month later...

you adjust the drums in one of two ways.

1. Using a star tool or a small flat tip screwdriver to turn the star wheel inside the drums to tighten up the pads against the drums.

2. You can put you car into reverse and get up to about 15 mph and pull the ebrake. Do not use your brake pedal allowing the ebrake to stop you should adjust it somewhat. It might take a few runs to get it right.

It should be noted that if you drive you car backwards please do it somewhere safe and that the 1st method is much more accurate.

I personally would go for the first method. Just pull the wheels, remove the aluminum drums, and adjust the star nut. That way you can try reinstalling the drum. Repeat until the shoes are almost dragging on the drums, but not quite. You never know if one of the little arms that turns the star nut isn't contacting on one side. It's pretty difficult to determine much from inside the vehicle.

On the 280Z I am almost positive that they will adjust just by pumping the hand brake lever up and down several times. This only works if the shoe linkage and star adjusters are clean and well lubed. I remember a finger that acted as a lever to tweak the star wheel everytime the lever was pulled up. If the shoes are already tight to the drum, the finger just ratchets over the teeth of the star instead of turning it. Can anyone confirm this?

Some cars use the reverse method but I think the 280Z uses the lever action.