HybridZ

the devil inZide (the longest z story worth reading)

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've come to a few conclusions in the last year. Here's some short form points.

Firstly, the thing runs on my blood, not gasoline. I've had cars that I've loved, and I've had cars that loved me back but...

Never have I had a car that I've loved that hated me back. I don't mean it's tired, unsafe, unconcerned, or just soulless, but I can FEEL that it hates me. I can tell it's just waiting to drop off the jacks onto me. And consequently I won't go under it unless it's on something it literally can't fall off of (say, a ramp)

The thing electrocuted me at one point, by having the rubber on the spark plug boot simply fall off COMPLETELY INTACTand WHILE HOOKED UP not a break in it I can't even fathom how it's possible for it to happen. I mean, come on, what the hell?

I found a spot where the bondo was THREE INCHES deep to cover the worst welding I've ever seen. So the fender flares at the back are a completely different design than I originally expected.

Found evidence of well concealed accident damage (and the engine doesn't quite sit square to everything else hmm).

The PO did some clever rewiring, so nothing works right, and my wiring diagrams are useless.

My rust free guaranteed car has plenty of holes in the fender under all that bondo.

Every nut and screw I've worked with has snapped off. Including four connected to the front struts (not driving the thing right now, that's for sure)

But sometimes, just sometimes I put everything back together, hook up the battery, and I start it up, and god damn it sounds beautiful. Its voice is full of scorn.

The PO made this car hate it's owner I think. The fact that he had it parked over 4 miles from where he lived... I dunno, I need to figure out how many people were killed by this thing.

As far as actual progress goes, basically none. One step forward, two steps back. Some parts are very shiny, balanced, refreshed, restored, etc. and some I've only found to be in worse shape than expected.

The wall in my garage is covered in big sheets of paper with notes, and thoughts scrawled on it. I'm going to collect those at some point and then I'll have to write a books worth of updates.

Sea Foam Deep Creep

31CGBGKG7AL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Makes PB B'Laster

1256660855-68968_full.jpg

Look like watered down Tab

lg_tab.jpg

Its about $8 US a can, but it is WORTH EVERY PENNY (or whatever Queenly copper coins you canooks use ;) ) and it lasts longer than PB or WD-40 because you use very little of it at a time.

Keep it up, man!!! It can't rain all the time, right??

I think I have to buy a better torch for this task

Torch is Always Excellent.... but never underestimate the power of the Deep Creep. I've only seen this stuff on the market for a bit more than a year now, so it hasn't had a chance to gain a reputation. I HATE hawking a product unless I swear by it.

Six point box wrenches are of paramount importance, and Beware Easy-Outs!!!!!!

The six pointers are less likely to round off a fastener head than a twelve point. Flare nut wrenches are also a must.

Just going over a couple points to make sure you've heard them at least once. Some advice merits being passed on even if it is redundant conversation.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Reviving this old thread because I can't leave this without saying something. The book is still unfinished! I feel like a game of thrones fan yelling at George Martin. KEEP WRITING and don't kill anyone else off! Lol.

As others have said, had I known, I would have totally offered to help.

please update this thread, I wanna see some pics of this car you went through so much trouble to get!

- Kyle