HybridZ

300whp 3.1L N/A possible?

sorealsosurreal

is it possible to have 300whp on a 3.1L N/A carburated z engine without going to robello or another engine builder. im going to be building the engine at saddle back college and so i will ahve a machine shop at my finger tips so thats not a problem. ive heard of a lot of estimated numbers for 3.1L's but no true dynoed numbers. has anyone on here done it? and what parts are needed (rods, pistons, head) i was thinking of the pauter T-beam rod http://www.atomicspeedware.com/rodnispaut.htm and im not sure what compression KA24 piston. and yes not to be a smart a$$, i have been looking for info.

i know turbo is a good option and was planning on a 3.1l turbo but i dont have the funds.

thanks Matt

300 whp Turbo would be cheaper than 300whp NA. I can build a 300hp Turbo for around 2k.

1. Unopened turbo long block $500

2. Holset turbo $350

3. intercooler. and piping and bov. $300

4. Megasquirt $400ish

5. 440cc injectors depending on where you get them $300

There ya go a decent recipe that can get you more than 300whp

Its possible but not on 91 octane fuel. The power in a NA L6 engine comes from the machining and assembly so you're going to have to be very good at those two to hit the power number.

EDIT:

ive heard of a lot of estimated numbers for 3.1L's but no true dynoed numbers. has anyone on here done it? and what parts are needed (rods, pistons, head) i

I had a 3L built by Sunbelt that made 320 SAE certified horsepower using a lot of expensive stuff. JE Pistons, Carillo rods, Motec M48, custom intake, 65mm TWM TB, N42 block and head, and more.

It would need to be about 14-1 + for a compressoin ratio. You will need to have a very well ported head. You will probably need to run it on 50mm mikunis if you wanna stay with tripples. I have a 12-1 motor, that is 275 RWHP on pump fuel, and injection, and it took alot of work to get it there. Is it possible, yes, is it practical for a street motor, no.

As far as 310 RWHP on a motor, like you are stating jc052685, Do you have ANY specs on that build, thats an awful HIGH number.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116573&highlight=individual+carbs

Post 7

When I talked to him last year he said it was 320whp, all though I don't remember if that was an estimate or dyno proven. I believe he said it was a 3.2 liter, running on 93 octane pump gas. 13:1 compression if I remember right, I was extremely suprised to hear that. The car is a sight to see in real life.

'is it possible to have 300whp on a 3.1L N/A carburated z engine without going to robello or another engine builder.'

Andy Flagg built and assembled his 0.040" oversized L28 in his garage in Clairmont putting out specific power like you mention.

Twice...once on a 2.8, and then a 2.0 L6 that made 205RWHP.

No Rebello, no engine builder except Andy...in his 'garage', behind the rental house in Clairmont.

As John C said, the trick is in attention to details.

I don't know about needing any special rods unless you have some really lightweight piece that you just gotta have. The stock rods adequately prepped are more than adequate for that kind of power level.

300 whp Turbo would be cheaper than 300whp NA. I can build a 300hp Turbo for around 2k.

1. Unopened turbo long block $500

2. Holset turbo $350

3. intercooler. and piping and bov. $300

4. Megasquirt $400ish

5. 440cc injectors depending on where you get them $300

There ya go a decent recipe that can get you more than 300whp

I would agree, I think 300whp would be less complicated and cheaper on a turbo L28. By less complicated I mean stock crank, rods etc. You would be surprised how much you will get ripped on just the LD28 crank alone. I think the strokers are very impressive however. Just my oppinion though.

You would be surprised how much you will get ripped on just the LD28 crank alone.

How so? I just bought a complete LD28 engine for $170 plus a $40 core charge (for which a Rusted lump of L26 was returned)...

Heck, the Four Speed Autobox that was on the back was another whole $90 (plus $20 Core, for which a Seized Lump of L26 Jatco 3N71 was returned...)

:confused:

(A million thanks to JeffP for sacrificing his 'find' for my daily driver fuel savings!)

Yep, and plan on making a big deal of it as I go to the Referee and get my BAR smog-check exemption sticker in the door jamb as well!

40mpg is 40mpg...

It's a 280Z anyway. Meh. If I had a ZX to sacrifice, I'd do it instead with PS and A/C since the Maxima had all that crap. It makes it nice in a commuter car. Donor only had 250K on it, should be good for a couple of more miles. Pretty clean too. I just hope the I-Pump is good, they had a boat primer bulb where the filter/purge should have been on the fenderwell...

i say ld28t

Find one in the USA! I missed the option to bid on three LD28T's as well as LD20T's which I wanted for the 510 and the Z. I would much prefer to use the LD-T's from the start, but finding one is nigh near impossible.

And the guy selling LD's over in Southgate is catering to forklift replacement market, with pricing at $2000 for a USED engine. I can pay for the shipping container and fly to Japan/Europe/Australia and load it for that kind of iffy pricing.

I mean, I don't know if they guy actually sells any of them, given the fact you can get LD28's from JY's at the most for $450, complete. Just insane pricing...I was born recently, but not yesterday!:shock:

That is a fluke and you won't find that often.

How is six times in the past two years (with someone else finding similar finds on equal basis) a fluke?

Last weekend JeffP bought the crankshaft from an LD for under $40, as it happened to be 'half price day' at the JY. Last time I bought just the crank, it was $39 with the harmonic balancer and flywheel attached.

You can buy the whole Maxima on the street for under $2000. There's one in Craigslist right now I see for $1200 asking.

That's an average of one crank a month...but two guys who don't have time to 'scour' the JY like they did in their youth.

$170 for the engine, with a $40 core. Last one I bought complete for $275 no core, outright.

There is a reason the cranks only sell for $250 on E-Bay (or thereabouts)---they're not all that rare!

Same for the complete engine. Maybe SoCal is a geographic anomaly---but the vendors selling in SoCal are apparently preying on those who don't want to spend a day walking through a junkyard to find something they want/need.

I think $2000 for a used Maxima engine is outrageous when the car can be bought whole for less than that.