HybridZ

how much boost

MaTTSuN

ok i got my car back on the road this week and was wondering how much boost i can run. Here are my mods:

- big azz front mount intercooler

- Mega squirt

- BOV

- 60mm 240sx throttle body

- 3inch exaust

- ARP head studs

the turbo is stock and im running the 81 stock turbo motor with stock turbo injectors its hitting about 7psi right now just wondering what i can safely run with the stock fuel system i was thinking about 10psi maybe 12 anyone do higher with the stock stuff?

ok thats ok just wanted to be safe but want to get the most of what i got for now. i think my fuel pressure is about 40psi stock 10 psi would be nice since i only have about 6-7 right now

prob put a good tune on it tomorrow and go from there

if i wanted to go any higher with the stock injectors what would i need the fuel pressure to be @?

Do you have a wiedband O2 sensor? if so you can go higher than 10psi. Just keep watching your afr's under boost. I think i ran mine up to 13-14psi on the stock injectors and stock fuel pressure. That was on a megasquirted stock engine with the stock t3 and injectors and a front mount.

Do you have a wiedband O2 sensor? if so you can go higher than 10psi. Just keep watching your afr's under boost. I think i ran mine up to 13-14psi on the stock injectors and stock fuel pressure. That was on a megasquirted stock engine with the stock t3 and injectors and a front mount.

It didnt lean out on you?

ok i got my car back on the road this week and was wondering how much boost i can run. Here are my mods:

- big azz front mount intercooler

- Mega squirt

- BOV

- 60mm 240sx throttle body

- 3inch exaust

- ARP head studs

the turbo is stock and im running the 81 stock turbo motor with stock turbo injectors its hitting about 7psi right now just wondering what i can safely run with the stock fuel system i was thinking about 10psi maybe 12 anyone do higher with the stock stuff?

Not to be an ass.. but I dont know what your BOV, 3 in exhaust and throttle body have anything to do with how much boost you want to run.

In order for your engine to perform and run without blowing up you need 3 things.. fuel and air and proper spark.

You can run 25psi on your stock bottom end with proper tuning.. enough fuel and if your turbo can produce enough boost.

If your going to be running the stock fuel injectors.. your very limited to how much boost you can safely run.

The turbocharger you have will also vary how much boost you have available.

• 3 weeks later...

thats just my set-up just so yah know...

im getting some 340cc injectors soon so i think ill leave the boost intill i get those.

Drove it in the first rain and wow as soon as its out of vacume in 1-3rd gear she just spins. my tires are not 2 bad either... bfg radial T/A's %80

i also have a big holset hx40 to go on in the spring 2 much rain to even bother with that here for the winter but then again it could be fun

ill prob end up turning the boost up to 12 and go from there if my wideband reads ok ill keep going . can always just drive around in vacume intill im in 4th or 5th haha

sorry CLIFTON i do have a wideband and i have been data logging and tuning with the afrs. im pretty sure i mentioned i have a wideband at the end of my last post :wink: if you posted an hour ago its earlier then me and im at 645 am on the west coast hehe side scan sonar is not up to temp yet here also

Matt

Sorry, I didn't see the wideband post. It was even earlier here. As long as you don't run out of duty cycle and the afr is good and it isn't knocking bump it up. I wouldn't go above 15-16 psi, not to say you can't but I wouldn't on the stock turbo.

FWIW, when I had 550's my DC was well past 100% towards redline but my afr was still in the 12's so I ran it until I could got larger inj. I also ran 440's at maxed at 96% DC at redline for a few years on the stock ecu.

With stock injectors, and stock ECU I needed to run 65psi of fuel at 14psi boost. With stock fuel pressure and MS, you might be able to go over 10psi but watch out at the higher rev's when the fuel supply starts dwindling. My suggestion is to Datalog he AFRs at 10-11-12psi and keep it where you can rev to 5500rpm without leaning until you get larger injectors. Set your rev limiter before it gets lean by using the timing method.

• 2 months later...
Sorry, I didn't see the wideband post. It was even earlier here. As long as you don't run out of duty cycle and the afr is good and it isn't knocking bump it up. I wouldn't go above 15-16 psi, not to say you can't but I wouldn't on the stock turbo.

FWIW, when I had 550's my DC was well past 100% towards redline but my afr was still in the 12's so I ran it until I could got larger inj. I also ran 440's at maxed at 96% DC at redline for a few years on the stock ecu.

How can you have over 100% duty cycle?