HybridZ

my 350Z seat installation

wigenOut-S30

Well So far I only have the passenger side done. It was pretty straight forward. I cut the stock 350Z mounting tabs off the rails, cut off some other bracketry , Welded crossmembers on, took my stock seat rails off and apart, Mounted them in there stock location. Then I set the 350Z seat in place measured everything to make sure I had enough space for movement forward and backward. I tacked everything in place then took it all out and welded everything together. Then applied a couple of quick coats of black.Nex interior change will be a new black carpet kit! Heh I figured heck while the car is down I will go ahead and tackle this little project.

DSC005281.JPG

DSC005331.JPG

DSC005341.JPG

DSC00536.JPG

DSC00538.JPG

The more I see these seats, the closer I am to buying a pair. They fit the car so nicely. I am just so reluctant because I am tall and with miata seats my head is pretty much at the roof. Lots of head room?

Looks great.

Kevin

I have been thinking the same thing. But I am 6'4" and need all the room I can get. Plus I have a 350 sitting next to me 280 to steal them from. Give me an excuse to get new ones for the 350Z.

Gabe mounted them the same way as i did i believe. Here is a few pictures of how i did it.

DSC01100.jpg

DSC01094.jpg

I absolutely love these seats they are way more comfortable then the stock ones. Im 6'1" and i sit with my seat back pretty straight up. And with the seat tilted all the way up I Fit with my helmet on and still have about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch clearance. If I tilt the seat down i have about an 1" 1/2 -2" clearance.

If you mounted them to the floor of the car they would be WAY to low. I wouldnt even be able to see over the steering wheel. lol

Those look great. I heard it's not good to weld on the sliders of the 350z seats because that steel doesn't take a weld very good (that's why everything is riveted)? I don't know how true this is, but I just wanted to get opinions from you guys that have actually welded on it. I am planning on doing this in my z31 and this is what my welder told me.

Those look great. I heard it's not good to weld on the sliders of the 350z seats because that steel doesn't take a weld very good (that's why everything is riveted)? I don't know how true this is, but I just wanted to get opinions from you guys that have actually welded on it. I am planning on doing this in my z31 and this is what my welder told me.

Grind the old powdercoat off and they weld great.

Evan

I had no problems at all. Like Evan said, just make sure you grind all the powder coating off and they weld fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Folks, Thoes that want to put 350Z seats in a 280Z are going to run into problems on the drivers side. I have been at it most of the day. Not sure about the 240Z but the 280Z's tranny tunnel comes out a good bit blocking the rails when trying to install the seats. I scratched my head for a while and think I have found a way around it. I am going to space the seat up alittle using round tubing. I tried it out making the spacers kinda tall, 1.5" in the rear 1" in the front. This makes the seat fit but you sit up way too high this way. I am going to try cutting the rear spacers down to 1" and the front down to 1/2", With the adjustability of the drivers seat this should and I sure HOPE this works. I am taking pics and will update this thread when Im done.

Finding seats that fit the 280 is a pain. The 240 has 20" of width in the rear of the seat well, the 280 has only 17.5". Eary Miata seats fit well, popular choice, but not much else. I was wondering when someone was going to try the 350 seats in a 280 and run into problems. Sucks...my wife doesn't like my Miata seats, says they're too hard, I was hoping the 350 seats would do the trick.

Have you considering bashing in the cat bump with a hammer?

Well Folks, Thoes that want to put 350Z seats in a 280Z are going to run into problems on the drivers side. I have been at it most of the day. Not sure about the 240Z but the 280Z's tranny tunnel comes out a good bit blocking the rails when trying to install the seats. I scratched my head for a while and think I have found a way around it. I am going to space the seat up alittle using round tubing. I tried it out making the spacers kinda tall, 1.5" in the rear 1" in the front. This makes the seat fit but you sit up way too high this way. I am going to try cutting the rear spacers down to 1" and the front down to 1/2", With the adjustability of the drivers seat this should and I sure HOPE this works. I am taking pics and will update this thread when Im done.

Gabe, stop..........hammer time! mc-hammer.gif

I tried using spacers to solve this exact same problem in my 77 (78 had no issue, strangely enough.) If your rear spacer is taller than your front spacer, you'll feel like you're being tipped out of the seat (even by just 1/2"). Adding 3/4" spacers made me feel way too high in comparison with stock, too.

I solved the problem by buying a 78, using the racing seats in that, and putting the stock seats from it in the 77.

Billy just used a hammer on his transmission tunnel. :o