HybridZ

The Strut thread - Koni / Illumina / Tokico / Carrera / Bilstein / Ground Control

hts have been out in japan over 10 years, they are very popular with the drift guys.

I went with some revalved kyb real sports dampers, those will surely come out soon in the states also, they are very simular to agx. i had casings made and valved for my harsh spring rates and to be a 1 3/4 short stroke. i am very pleased with my real sports, and cant say enuff good things about hts.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest KApwr'd510

Hi,

I'm new here hope this thread isn't dead. I have a 510 wagon that I'm going to install some 280ZX struts on for greater breaking power. I have been around older Datsuns for a while but when I took the struts apart I found the strut inserts weren't quite what I am used to. Are these stock struts for a 280ZX or does anyone know what strut insert these are (see pics)? They float in oil in the strut tube as compared to a strut insert in the tube.

One more question while I'm here, what is the proper front wheel bearing adjustment procedure for a 1982 280ZX? I have many books on older Datsuns but none of them go up to 1982.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.:)

Joe (KAppwr'd510)

DSCN0332_thumb.JPG

DSCN0333_thumb.JPG

Those are the originals. You can use those with pretty aggressive springs by changing the weight of the oil in the tube. I read recently where some race team was using the stockers on their famous Z, but I can't recall which one it was.

If you want to switch to inserts you just drain the oil out of the tube, throw the piston part away and slide an insert right in.

Guest KApwr'd510

Thanks for the info. Since they have been in the strut housings fo quite some time i think I'll go with some new inserts (little concerned about the seals). But I may decide to use them as is. If I do any suggestions for oil (weight / type)?

One more question while I'm here, what is the proper front wheel bearing adjustment procedure for a 1982 280ZX? I have many books on older Datsuns but none of them go up to 1982.

Joe

Thanks for the info. Since they have been in the strut housings fo quite some time i think I'll go with some new inserts (little concerned about the seals). But I may decide to use them as is. If I do any suggestions for oil (weight / type)?

If I could remember where I was reading about those things I could probably help you out. Unfortunately it's not coming too me. Basically the heavier the springs the heavier the oil should be. I'd use motorcycle fork oil since it does pretty much the exact same thing, and I seem to remember race cars using 40 wt, but I've got old motorcycle and moutain bike memories meandering around that same quadrant of my brain so don't quote me. The nice thing about it is if you want to change it again you can. Just get one of those suction pumps from Harbor Freight and you can keep changing it until you find what you like for the springs you're running.

Guest KApwr'd510

Thank you all for the good information. If you happen to remember where you read the info on the stock shocks please post it. I still have a few days of cleaning parts before I mount them.

Joe

From Dennis Hale on another site (although he is a member here too):

We still play with shock oil in 510 cheap land. 20w

fork oil is the poorboy's Koni. Works well with 175#/"

springs. 30w may work with 300#/" springs that are now

rather common. A strut takes about 300cc, more or less

a half pint.

Guest KApwr'd510

Thanks again for the info. I might just try the 30w but I might have to get new o-rings and the strut nut. It wasn't leaking but I dont want to do this too many times.

Joe

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

8610 has a standard body length of 13.07". Get the Koni Motorsports catalog here:

http://www.koni-na.com/pdfcatalogs/KONIMotosportCatalog.pdf

Regarding the 80-2065: Don't know but the shock body diameter needs to be 1.70" or less and the shock body length needs to be 12" to 14.5". Ideally it should also have a 6" stroke.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got a little more info on the Bilsteins. Apparently the part number we're using is valved 256/72 in stock form. This looks to me like a very good setup for springs in the 2-300 in lb range right out of the box. I wish I had known about them when I was using my car as a dual purpose vehicle for street and track.