HybridZ

Bad Break up(Resets,Grounding,Noise Problems)

jeffer949

jeffer, i think you should go over the steps 1 to 23 of the power circuit installation. one of the components may have been super-heated with the soldering iron you used.

it will be like 15 bucks total to replace those small components.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jeffer, i think you should go over the steps 1 to 23 of the power circuit installation. one of the components may have been super-heated with the soldering iron you used.

it will be like 15 bucks total to replace those small components.

I was thinking along the same lines. The symptoms you're seeing are typical of a "walking wounded" semiconductor that was damaged either from ESD or over temp, but not damaged enough to fail completely.

Well guys i guess you can say that im giving up on this ecu and i ordered another one. Same one but im going to put it together and see what happens. Ill mess with this ecu when i turbo and megasquirt my 78 kz650. It should be here tomorrow. I have the day off so i should be able to get it together that day or maybe the next day.

Well It runs. Havent taken it out yet though. it idles alot smother now but thats probably because my old ms had all the injectors on one inj. driver My tps isnt working but i think its mechanical with the tps as i had it off yesterday. Well ill get it fixed and ill keep ya updated

Well the resets are back. and on top of that my injectors are leaking into the cylinders!!! great fun huh? well i will have new injectors here this week 72lb ones actually which will give me plenty of headroom with my current boost levels.

The resets started again after i rewired my engine bay. So im going to rewire it again and see what happens. I think its wierd that when my wiring was all messy and all over the place that it worked but then i loomed it all up and made it look nice and it started resetting. Also a weird thing is that the resets only happen in maybe the first 5 min of starting up the car. After that they go away and then there arent any more. Well i have the next 2 days off so ill be playing with this alot. Alright. Later.

Hi Jeff

Make sure your sensor wires are separated from any wires that may be causing noise. I used shielded wire and single point grounding on my setup. I was also very careful about the routing of everything. I've yet to log a single reset.

Derek

Injector wires and coil wires tend to have a lot of noise on them from what I have seen with the scope.

The injectors are very inductive, pull a lot of current and are constantly switching on and off. The coil wires are at very high voltage as well as constantly switching on and off. Hence both generate a lot of EMI.

FYI, when wiring, shielding is good, but it's also a good practice to avoid running wires that carry small signals (coolant, MAT, etc) in parallel with, and next to, "noisy" wires. For example, when you can, avoid running CLT sensor and Injector wires in the same bundle.

Hey mobythevan. I did some more research and i found more postings saying to put the caps on pins 31 32 not pins 30 and 31. You can edit my previous post to clearify that.

I changed my caps and i also redid my coolant and iat sensors wires with shielded wire and put the shield to ground. I also ran them out of the loom with the injector, tps, and tach wires. I drove it to steak and shake at like 4am for like 15 min and no resets but we will see if it lasts lol.

Not related but i got bored and wired in my boost control circuit and im going to play with that today.

Hi Jeff, if you don't mind, tell us about the boost control circuit you mentioned. I'm in the process of planning for turbo conversion and have been exploring the best way to control boost without spending a lot of $$$. If it's not a short answer, no need to hijack your own thread :)

Well i had a fun day. First of all that moving those wires and changing the to shielded wire def. helped. But there is still a few resets every now and again. Im going to switch my tps over to shielded wire also. Then im going to see what happens when i wrap my injector wires in foil and then ground it out.

Oh yeah the fun part. I went and washed my car today and when i went to leave i started my car and reved it up a bit and then it died. Long story short and a mile hike back home i apparently fried my processor in my megasquirt. I cant get it to load firmware or connect to my laptop. I threw in my old processer from my other MS and it started right up. So now i have a dead processor and ill have to order another one. I think water got somewhere and shorted it out but i couldnt find any water anywehre. So ya its running great right now even though my tps isnt working so my AE isnt working but its made it real nice for tuning. Ive never turned it off before and it makes tuninig alot easier. Im getting vref into the tps and voltage back out of the tps and into the relay board but its not regestering so im not sure whats up.

Oh the boost controler obvously doesnt work since its tps based. But honestly its been fun driving around at 7psi. I can drive the piss out of it and im not doing over 100mph lol

that's weird that the processor would fry. has to do with the power circuit and some wires that you've re-used with the new MS, I'd say.

is anything rubbing on the firewall hole that you made? did you put a grommet there?