HybridZ

i need some opinions on what to do to my 240z!!

i have a 72 240 i picked up 3-4 month ago...i drove 9 hours to pick it up and drove it all the way back...

im wanting to swap a more reliable motor into the car and maybe get some better gas milage..i have 2 choices:

1. rb20det(im on a budget so this is the only rb series i can afford)

2. my mail man has 2 280zx's he's trying to talk me into buying for $250 but i have to buy both so $500...they both run both are 5 spds and have title's but 1 has a considerable amount of cancer...but the other 1 is fine...i was thinking of using everything i can from the 1 with cancer(what all can i use i.e. can i use the disc brakes ect.) then scrap the body....then take the other 1 and drive it or sell it.....

im on a small budget and the cheaper the better my goal is to have a reliable car with 180-200 hp...which is easly done with the rb stock but what do ya'll think whats more with it?

they both have been sitting for 7 years but i cleaned the fuel out and refreshed it and put new plugs on it and it started up with no problems ran really smooth and quiet with no ticking of any kind and when i took it out for a spin it was perfect didnt sputter or anything...the tranny didnt grind or even slip for that matter....the car that has almost no cancer still has yet to be started but he swears that it will start like the other....and i believe him considering how the other started right up without starting fluid...but will a l28e be a good motor to get 180-200hp out of n/a with a low budget?

If you use the L28 from the cancerous 280zx, you can turbo it for cheap...should be much less than an RB swap. Just go megasquirt for power, ease of operation, and gas mileage. Then you'd still have a good foundation to work with should you want future upgrades.

If none of that interests you, the next cheapest upgrade to get you to your power levels is nitrous...

Hey your in my neighborhood. I just moved here but If you need help with the zeds let me know. Honestly if you want 200hp the cheapest way is probably going to be a turbo swap. And as for reliability, it doesnt get much more reliable than the L6 engine. Yes you can get 200hp N/A but it will take some head work and your going to need a flat top piston motor to start with.

Write me a pm and we can talk maybe even get together sometime

the reason i want to do a swap is because the timing chain is stretched to and the adjuster wont tighten anymore....the timing is off....it needs a whole gasket kit...it needs a considerable amount of head components, b/c half of them arent in specs...ect. ect. pretty much needs a rebuild and i want a 5 spd tranny so i figured i just go ahead and do a full swap...

does anyone know if u can use a n/a dizzy and dizzy shaft on a l28et...and what year is the best to use?

and can u use a n/a flywheel on a l28et?

Dude you drove it for 9 hours after just getting it. How much more reliable do you want?

it spit and sputtered all the way back and i had to stop 5 times cause the fuel pump couldnt keep up with the carbs...and it had junky gas in it but that was the only good time ive really had with it...now its a paper weight with a lot more little problems that have added up since

• 2 weeks later...

I'd grab the two 280zxs, but I'd offer between $350 to $400, since he wants both gone, if not offer the $250 for the cancerous one.

Or you could be a real dink about it and give him $250 and say that's all that you are giving, but "since you want both gone...". ;)

Anyway, from what you've described, a running 150HP car is better than a non-running car. So the 280ZX swap would be on my list right now.

I have an L28 in my 240, that I also turbocharged and am having a LOT of fun with, other than one of my 90* couplers splitting yesterday. :(

I used an N/A dizzy in my conversion, but I'm also using a GM ECM to run the works, so my needs are a bit different than most people's. Mega Squirt can be configured to use the N/A or turbo dizzy.

so i got 90% of a turbo motor in pieces this past weekend...all i really like in putting it together is: distributor, dist. gear, flywheel, oil pan, ignition box...i can get a distributor the gear and the box out of a 76 or 77 280z out of the junk yard but cant find out if it will work or not....i have the oil pan and flywheel out of my 240z but dont know if its a smart choice on using them (other than tapping the oil pan for the return)

I just came across an extra Turbo Distributor drive spindle in my garage recently. I also might have the turbo ignition module as well. I'll have to double check on that. $40 for both or $25 each.

If your goals are only around 200hp or so I wouldn't worry about sourcing a 240mm flywheel immediately. Your 225mm one will work fine with a decent clutch. I've been running one for years now. It's only when you get up to 250-300 ft-lbs of torque that it really starts to slip.

I have a bunch of other various L28ET electrical stuff left over from my Megasquirt swap as well if you need anything else.