HybridZ

Carbon Fiber Cowl

Bartman

It looks like Raceonusa is creating carbon fiber cowl panels for 240Z's. It appears like they are actually made from fiberglass and covered with carbon fiber, but it still looks like a decent piece without the stock vent slits.

A little pricey at $360, but they have the "best offer" feature turned on...I wonder how low you can buy one for???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbon-Fiber-OEM-Cowl-Datsun-240Z-70-73-3Dr_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem350102818440QQitemZ350102818440

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why this cowl panel is so expensive. I got my carbon fiber hood from the same place for $300 - how can the cowl cost more? Maybe they are expensive now since they just came out and the price will come down in the future.

Bartman, are you please with their Cf hood I am the market for one, although I am a bit skeptical about what some folk said about their quality. I personally have not seen one yet.

Alex

Hmmm,

Joel, I think your right on with your offer, at 259$ I would seriously consider this piece. I'm installing an aftermarket AC unit in my car so the fresh air intake is not really needed anymore and it would be nice to seal it up to help prevent leaves and road swarf from getting back in the cowl area and trickling down to the lower fender area.

I wonder what the shipping cost on this is?

I know some poeple question the quality of Raceonusa's hoods, but I got exactly what I expected. It's a fiberlass hood with a layer of carbon fiber on top. You can get higher quality hoods, but not for $300. Looking at eBay it looks like the prices are higher now than they were when I bought mine. I also saved money by picking it up locally for free.

Shipping for the cowl on eBay is only $40

I know some poeple question the quality of Raceonusa's hoods, but I got exactly what I expected. It's a fiberlass hood with a layer of carbon fiber on top. You can get higher quality hoods, but not for $300. Looking at eBay it looks like the prices are higher now than they were when I bought mine. I also saved money by picking it up locally for free.

Shipping for the cowl on eBay is only $40

Thanks and agree with the statement, for $300.00 back then, you can only get so much.

Thanks again,

Alex

The CF hood I have put up looks great too. I would be concerned though, if I were to put both these parts next to each other on the car, if the CF pattern/color would match up exact.

The hood I have was purchased a few years ago from them off eBay (for $320.00 delivered BTW). I would hope they use the same material to make all their CF pieces...

With the grill openings in the cowl hood the mold is a fairly complex part and making it takes more time to make sure the glass and CF is packed down and there are no bubbles. The hood uses more materials but I bet the cowl panel takes more time to make.

With the grill openings in the cowl hood the mold is a fairly complex part and making it takes more time to make sure the glass and CF is packed down and there are no bubbles. The hood uses more materials but I bet the cowl panel takes more time to make.

This piece is just a plain cowl without the vent slits.

cowl_thumb.jpg

I'm definitely interested in the purpose of those vent slits because if they aren't needed I may go with a similar solution. I installed an aftermarket HVAC system, so is there any other reason to maintain cowl panel venting?

Guest 280ZForce

I agree the price is ridiculous, but for the simplicity of production, it's not hard to cut your own slits into it if it was a flat production piece like theirs is if you have to have them.