HybridZ

Rust - Is it too far gone

Jer260Z

Well if that really is the only rust then, it would be worth saving.

The best plan of attack, looking at the three pictures, would likely be to cut out the floors and the frame railes, and weld in new parts. I believe Bad Dog fab has all the parts needed to replace these. While you're at it, weld in some sub frame connectors.

were my friend.... were....

"were" is right.. I could have paid $8,000 for another... but where's the fun in that? If I was buying it for my wife or daughter that would be different. I got it to restore which was the idea from the beginning. "buying" a finished z... What's the point?

I will post progress pics...

Thats not "that" bad IMO. Mine, the WHOLE floor was pretty much gone, along with half the firewall.

All you need to do is get some 1"x2.5" sqr tubing and replace the SFC, then replace the strip of floor with sheet metal. Never cut TOO MUCH :P. thats what I did :P

I think its cool to own a car that you "saved", be proud of have and have a sense of accomplishment after you have restoring it.

These cars are getting rarer and rarer as time goes by and I am always touched when someone wants to learn how to weld, buy a decent welder to practice and then restore his car.

Go for it, you have our backing and support. Any more pics of the overall car you can share?

Regards - Yasin

It is funny how people answers...California and arizona resident would never even look at that kind of project, people in the North East would think it is not too bad. For a canuck like me, it is normal...I say do it! It is not that bad of a Job if it isn't your daily driver. Just don't get into the while I am at it syndrome,

Dayz

I think its cool to own a car that you "saved", be proud of have and have a sense of accomplishment after you have restoring it.

These cars are getting rarer and rarer as time goes by and I am always touched when someone wants to learn how to weld, buy a decent welder to practice and then restore his car.

Go for it, you have our backing and support. Any more pics of the overall car you can share?

Regards - Yasin

Amen... I hate seeing people cut up perfectly good Z cars, not to mention ones that could be fixed with a reasonable amount of work.

Where in Jersey are you? Bring it up and lets put the welder to it! :)

Thanks for the responses.. Rags...Thanks for the offer, I just may take you up on it!! If not, what do you guys think would be a fair price to have these replaced?

Rusty.. The front ones are in actually good shape. I am going to apply POR 15 to them and a few other spots but I think they will be ok. Thanks for the offer.

Best part about this is my wife is all for it! We met when I owned my first (76 280Z) so it's got sentimental value to her... Which is nice:)

Took a closer look at the rust tonight. Looks like the front frame rails are ok. Gonna order some new support rails from zeddfindings and get them replaced. POR 15 everything after that and move on from there!

My wife cleaned the tires and bought a new stereo for my birthday! She's got her priorities!