HybridZ

tow hooks

it should be obvious that a trailer should be used rather than a tow strap when towing your car, if thats an option, but even on a trailer the car needs to be secured in place to prevent the weight shifting,

most cars don,t have a easy access location to hook up a tow strap ...or firmly lock the car in place on a trailer and randomly hooking straps or hooks to suspension components is asking for damaged parts,

yet another excellent reason to own a welder

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_371258_371258

14161_lg.gif

11236_02.jpg

http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/cPath/51_995/products_id/24689?osCsid=887efdc6ab2c4c8f67f8921794f30119

buy at least two (fours going to be much better) and bolt and weld them to the frame for easy access and security on a trailer transport, and emergency towing

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/Extreme_4x4/Keeper_towhooks.htm

Nice find. Thanks!

I've looking for something like that. On my 70 240Z, I came across these when I bought the car. One tucked under each rear bumper mounting bracket. But yet, I don't see them on the 71.

Whew, pains me to see chains/straps wrapped around suspension parts too.

100808_11221.jpg

In my quest for reducing weight in my early years of Z ownership, I removed all of the tow eyes from the car. That was fine until I needed them to move the car on a flatbed...towtruck..from time to time...yeeeshh. It was even more frustrating once I added the lower air dam strip, and the front and rear belly pans.

I have since added 1 to the front, and I plan on at least 1 more in the rear. The fronts are pretty easy, as there are two nice mount points on the front. At least on my 280. The bumper shock mounts have nice heavy reinforced mounting points that accept a 14mm bolt if I recall correctly. I'm not concerned about the extra pound or two to have them back.

Here is a shot of my front hook. It has saved my butt a couple of times now.

DSC01061.jpg

my 73 HAD those.

Nice find. Thanks!

I've looking for something like that. On my 70 240Z, I came across these when I bought the car. One tucked under each rear bumper mounting bracket. But yet, I don't see them on the 71.

Whew, pains me to see chains/straps wrapped around suspension parts too.

100808_11221.jpg

When I added the Class III receiver to the back of the 75, I incorporated oval holes in the brackets that let a 5/16" chain threaded link fit in there...made it EASY to tie down, tow, or LIFT the car! Having that receiver on the back makes for a convienient jacking point as well...

On some of the new rental cars (I checked out my VW Jetta Diesel I had in Spain...) they have a nice forged tow-eye in the spare tire tool kit. Screws into a place on the car. I have a couple of forged eyes that screw into the bumper holes I use to lift cars to the upper berth in the shipping containers when containerizing them...if you aren't running a rear bumper, those forged eyes screw in really nicely!

And even on the front, you can screw em into some of the chassis mounting points on the frame rail to accomplish similar tie-down/light towing duties.

• 3 weeks later...

if you can try and get the front tow hooks from an early jeep liberty my sister put one into the wall head on at about 50 and the hooks where strong enough to not even get scratched and ended up BREAKING the frame about just in front of the firewall.

*Off topic.*

You know, I noticed that the first post in this thread did not have even one bit of punctuation or capitalization at all (not to mention that nobody even thought to correct him and the post is 3 weeks old). Kinda funny. I got chewed up by all the admins when I would forgot to punctuation every once and a while and my posts never even looked half as bad as that first post (the admins also seemed to notice MY POSTS quite quickly). I guess when your an admin it makes it ok huh?

:roll:

That being said, this does look like a great product that would extremely helpful when towing a vehicle.

(By the way this isn't an attack on the poster, just a reminder that the rules should apply to everyone!)