HybridZ

There is a reason I do all the work myself on my car.. wow

proxlamus©

My friend bought a 350z.

Supposed to be clean.

Was washing it maybe a day after he got home, noticed some paint on the rubber stripping around the window. He kept looking closer and finding more things, like over spray on the headlight, and slightly orange peeled paint, nothing like this guys though.

He checked the carfax report and sure enough, it was in an accident. He called the kid back, and was pretty pissed. The kid said that it must have been the previous owner, because he had no idea.

Yeah, this is the worst I've seen though. But, it's never as good as new. Unless you're paying BIG for it.

Fiberglass mesh screening as a 'foundation for the bondo to stick to' over newspapers stuffed up into the A-Pillar through the large rust hole at the base 'to keep the fiberglass mesh from buckling when you apply the bondo'.....

It was at that moment, being 'given instruction' by a self-taught auto body whiz (all the while never letting on at 2 years instruction I had undergone back in Michigan before joining the service...), that I decided anybody doing the body work on my vehicle will be watched very very carefully...and as for amatuers? No thanks, unless I've seen their work and know how they work, I don't even consider it.

The post is actually funny in a sad sort of way. He's a bit uninitiated in thinking he would have gotten any kind of decent install on that kind of a kit for the price he ended up paying. I got a laugh out of his 'rust rant'---you can tell he's from SoCal...LOL

There is an old adage (which he says is ignorant to point out) that "You get what you pay for." I doubt he would have gotten much better for that price. And with all his expectations of the installer, personally I would have turned the job down. There are some people who expect the sky and don't want to pay for that kind of quality. I suspect from the post content he is one of these sorts of customers.

Workmanlike job aside, I wouldn't have quoted even $750 for a full skirt install on rigid fiberglas parts much less urethane. That's less (or at most) 10 hours of work. No WAY that kind of install can be done in 'a day' including painting.

A week, maybe. But then, that would have cost too much.

"If you can't afford to do it right the first time, how will you get the money to do it over?"

• 1 month later...