HybridZ

E85, GT42R dyno results...

TimZ

Congrats Tim. I calculate 762bhp. Simply amazing... I sure would like to see what your car would do at Milan.:D.

Er....how close are you from Milan, BTW?

When I went to Export PA for training last time, I ended up blazing the trail back to the cottage, and pass by Milan Dragway coming and going...

Maybe with that setup you can best my time from 1982 there at Milan: 15.50 flat in my 1962 Turbo Microbus!!!:D

As far as I know, that's the 'official HybridZ track record at Milan'!:twisted:

Very nice numbers Tim. Why not try it on that great Sunoco "84 Octane Sub-Regular" as well? For us terminally cheap lawnmower gas in the car types... LOL

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Er....how close are you from Milan, BTW?

When I went to Export PA for training last time, I ended up blazing the trail back to the cottage, and pass by Milan Dragway coming and going...

Maybe with that setup you can best my time from 1982 there at Milan: 15.50 flat in my 1962 Turbo Microbus!!!:D

As far as I know, that's the 'official HybridZ track record at Milan'!:twisted:

Very nice numbers Tim. Why not try it on that great Sunoco "84 Octane Sub-Regular" as well? For us terminally cheap lawnmower gas in the car types... LOL

Thanks, Tony. I'm about 45 minutes from Milan. I've got the right tires now, so one of these days I'll make it over there.

Sunoco 84? I'll get right on that... :P

1 fast Z - 607hp was my best on Sunoco 94

Is 94 what you guys in the lucky states consider pump?? :)

93 is available pretty much everywhere, and pretty much all of the sunocos here carry the 94 variant.

...AND I now have 4 stations with E85 within about 5 miles

My Bro is living someplace in Novi now...I think. Maight be over by Aburn Tech Center. Not quite sure, was running late last time and didn't get a chance to stop by and reconniter...

Then again, my Cottage in Tawas isn't going anywhere.

You got it, US23 rocketing up and back!

You got me all inspired, so today I hit 20 PSi in the twin cam setup, to where I have been at 16. It felt pretty dang good in third. I might have to hit the dyno sooner than I thought to see exactly what she is doing. I dont have the injection on it yet though. So it looks like its you for the highest dyno number on a L series this century stateside. Then Jeff next.

Well I am glad to say I was sure it could be done! I don't think I am going to go for anymore hp that the GT35R will deliver the engine. I am very happy with the spool @ 3K or so and don't want the turbo to spool any later. I did consider the GT40 for a specific application due to altitude concerns, but that is in the future.

I am pleased to see that Tim you have gotten so much power from the engine.

I have had fuel management related problems for some time and I think I just may have a good viable solution for about 400.00 or so for all of the system. I am still working on that.

I ended up detonating the ring lands on my engine, Tony can tell you about it, but to make a long story short. I have decided to take this opportunity to run a stock bottom end and make a comparison of the stock engine to the stroked and increased compression engine.

So I am working on it right now to get the car back together here in a few weeks. Then I will have complete data as to what modification did what and if it was an improvement.

I am also looking into upgrading the fuel delivery as the current setup is taxing the system more then I would like it to so that is also another matter to contend with.

Anyway, good job Tim, I was sure it was possible provided some of the trouble areas you addressed were taken care of not only for your car but everyone, if they want to do it LOL.

Tim,

Just curious, how's the Clutch Specialties sintered-iron clutch holding up? Mine has held well except for a few anomalies.

Also, what head gasket did you go with since you had your head off? I'm assuming you are still using the Nissan sealing rings.

Tim,

Just curious, how's the Clutch Specialties sintered-iron clutch holding up? Mine has held well except for a few anomalies.

Also, what head gasket did you go with since you had your head off? I'm assuming you are still using the Nissan sealing rings.

So far so good on the clutch, although I was surprised at how much torque its holding now - as I recall it was only rated at 500lb-ft

The headgasket is still the Nissan Comp (or whatever they are called now) gasket with seperate fire rings.

I did consider the GT40 for a specific application due to altitude concerns, but that is in the future.

So now, I'm thinking GT42... at least. Given that torque peak and spreads on the tranny....I think it will work fine Jeff!:twisted:

"My my my, what are those boys cooking up in the shed out back?" she said, quizzically, wiping her hands on the chicken-embroidered dishcloth as the smoke and racous noise rose ever higher...scaring the livestock and making the chickens in their coop all atwitter.:D

With GOOD tires and good suspension, 600+ RWTQ, can be kept to the ground. How it comes on, also is a big effect.

Hey Tim, What is the most boost you can make in FIRST gear and at what RPM?

I can only get about 14 LBS in first at 8 Thousand RPM, just sorta curiuos how your turbo acts compared to that.

Nice work Tim. I read something recently in a car mag about Viton degrading with E85 over time, but haven't found anything else to back that up. I presume you did some research on this?

FWIW, if i remember correctly (been a while) my setup (stock L28ET) makes 19psi by 4600rpm in 1st with the GT35R and a 3.54:1 diff.

I'm also curious how/when the boost comes on with your setup Tim.

Got a boost curve for lower gears?

Dave

Nice work Tim. I read something recently in a car mag about Viton degrading with E85 over time, but haven't found anything else to back that up. I presume you did some research on this?

FWIW, if i remember correctly (been a while) my setup (stock L28ET) makes 19psi by 4600rpm in 1st with the GT35R and a 3.54:1 diff.

I'm also curious how/when the boost comes on with your setup Tim.

Got a boost curve for lower gears?

Dave

The research that I did seemed to indicate that viton would be fine - in fact I switched to viton from the originals just to be sure. Time will tell, I guess.

I'd have to look around a bit to find boost response for the lower gears - the 4th gear pulls above are about as early as I can expect boost to hit, just from the inertia of the wheel vs. rpm rate of change in 1st and 2nd to some extent. 3rd gear looks pretty much like what you see above.

1st gear gets to roughly 20psi, 2nd gets to ~24, and then full boost in the rest of the gears

I just switched over to Mickey Thompson E/T streets (275/40-17) this summer and was amazed at how big a difference they made over the Kumho V700s I was using before. When the ambient temps are above 75 or 80, it gets almost full traction in 1st gear, and it's all there in 2nd.

Today it's more like 50 degF, so I was back to breaking the tires loose in 2nd.

I think that there is more to be had from the suspension setup - I think that I now have too much camber for the MTs in the rear, and probably too much toe-in as well. I've been thinking that my winter project this year will be to figure out how to adjust that without spending a fortune...