HybridZ

Recent Race Car Woes....

z-ya

For most of the season, the race car performed really well. 5-6 events at NHMS in Loudon NH, 1 at Mid Ohio, and 1 at Nelson Ledges. I has been a great season, until this past week.

Last Friday at a BMW event at Loudon, we blew the head gasket (it has been detonating on and off all season, so I'm not surprised). As we were taking it off the trailer to swap a new head gasket in, it died. Wouldn't start. Had to use the starter to get it off the trailer. So we swaped a new gasket, and try to start it. No spark. ZX distributor module died. Ok, so I rig up a 280Z distributor with an HEI module. OK, now we have spark, but no signal to the Megasquirt. Pulled the cover off the Megasquirt to find a burnt circuit board and input circuit. OK, the ignition failure took the Megasquirt with it. So I replaced the damaged components and bypassed the damaged parts of the circuit board. OK, so now it starts. Sounds good, but as it starts warming up, the radiator springs a leak. OK, so I put in a spare 4 core I have kicking around. Now it starts, and doesn't leak any fluids. Today when I start it to move it out of the garage, it starts running rough, and I look in through the cowl induction hood, and I see flames. The engine is on fire! I grab the extinguisher and put it out. The high pressure line at the fuel rail sprung a leak on the altenator which must have sparked the fire.

Last and this coming Sunday I was planning on doing time trials. I am NOT doing any more track days this year. This car does not want to go to the track. I am going to leave it alone for at least a month so it can think about what it has done to me :mrgreen:

So to recap:

- Blew a head gasket

- Fried an ignition module

- Toasted a Megasquirt

- Breeched a radiator

- Had an engine fire

All in less than 5 days.

Had better weeks....

Pete

Be grateful those items were not spread out over successive track events.

Exactly. Except for swapping the R190 out at Mid Ohio because of a pinion seal leak, it has not failed us at an event (oh yea, blew the head gasket late in the day).

It is officially hibernating for the winter...

Pete