HybridZ

LS1 alternator clearence

Guest Grenade300

Guest Grenade300

I noticed recently that my JCI engine mounts have complessed enough over time to allow the alternator and crank pulley to start strking the steering rack. Is anybody else having this issue?

Those of you who are not having this issue, how muck clearence do you have between the bottom of your alternator and the steering rack?

Thanks,

Scott

From what I remember last time I was going over my car before the track, I notice how close the alt was to the drivers side mount. I plan to grind it down a bit to get more clearance. Is there anyway for you to get us some pics of what you are talking about?

Clive

My Alternator was damn close when I first got everything installed into the car. Thanks for the reminder to go make sure its not going to make contact! I think I slipped some rubber in there between the Hot post on the side of the alternator just in case it decided to short out on me. I've been alright so far.

My Alternator was damn close when I first got everything installed into the car. Thanks for the reminder to go make sure its not going to make contact! I think I slipped some rubber in there between the Hot post on the side of the alternator just in case it decided to short out on me. I've been alright so far.

Close to the drivers side mount? If so, I had the same feeling you had! I was amazed it was so damn close...I thought I was the only one.

Clive

Guest Grenade300

To begin with I was very uncomfortable with how close the alt sat to the mount. My crank pulley is also starting to strike. I will be swapping to a 25% underdrive pulley to solve that issue. a 25% underdrive pulley is about 1.5 inches smaller in diameter.

I am working feverishly with a CNC shop to come up with a cost effective solution for relocating the alternator. Should have my prototype done in about a week.

If it works out then I will happily start producing more for the rest of us.

I refuse to pay $500 for a relocation bracket.

If this works out, would any of you be interested in a bracket that is CNC plasma cut and welded PROPERLY for about $200?

hi have mounted my alternator in std gto position but like you not overly happy with the clearance i believe it would be ok but if you can make something for $200 that fixes issue id sure be interested in buying one

where exactly are you gonna mount alternator

mick

Guest Grenade300

Zed240au: I am trying to mount the alt on the pass side head. My test fit works and clears the hood. I am waiting for the machinest to get my stuff drawn up on the CAD program and cut my metal.

M1Noel: Would you mind posting a link to the thread you are refering to.

• 2 weeks later...

hey you guys think ill have clerance issues with my alternator hitting my hood if its mounted up on top? my engine came out of a 08 corvette and all the accesories are mounted in the stock location.

Guest Grenade300

There is another guy on here running Corvette accessories. If I remember correctly, he had to relocate his alt because it would not clear the driver's side strut tower.

• 4 months later...

Figured this might be a good place to put this... I have a 280Z and a GTO LS1 with the JCI kit, I have just installed the engine and the alternator stud looks like it has about 1/2-3/4" of interference with the engine mount. Even if I cut 3/4 inch off the stud I would still hit. I know the clearence is very tight here, but my case seem very extreme. I have a GTO alternator, any chance that it is longer then the Cammaro alternator. Any other ideas here?

Thanks

i got the gto mount alternator to work but did it by using the standard front mounts cutting the output supply post on alternator as short as i could and making a new rear mount out of 5/16 steel shaped to fit around cross member engine mount

mick

• 2 months later...

A quick question about alternator placement issues.

I have a 2004 C5 Vette LS1, complete with all accessories, going into a 1971 240Z.

I know that people say to swap the Camaro alternator and bracket over to the Vette block. However, the belt runs about 3/4" closer to the block on the Vette.

I am wondering if I can just swap the crank pulley, and tensioner pulley over from a Camaro LS1, and run the Camaro alternator...this should essentially make everything line up?

It looks like the water pump sits out the same distance as the Camaro one, so the belt should still line up with the Vette oil pump.

Anyone have any comments, or have done this and had enough clearance?

Thanks!

Jay