HybridZ

Just got my 280Z...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This situation is like mine when I bought me first Z.... 27 years ago. ( that hurts) I knew nothing...get ready to ride the learning curve.

You need to pop the head off in order to determine the exact problem.

And no...you dont go out and buy 1 valve...I guess you can ....but normal procedure is a head rebuild. If one valve is shot ...good chance other will go as well.

Oh geez, so my parents want the 280Z to be gone out of the house. I had no idea you can't park a non-op vehicle on the driveway. But I've been told that you need a proof of registration for anyone to take your car away for you. I don't have the pink slip from Kismet yet, but I do have the bill for the transfer. As long as he doesn't send me the pink slip until the Z is functional nobody can send it to the landfill/demolition center right? I hope that's the case. Kismet pick up your phone!!

Okay so I took off the head cover (whatever you call it) and it looks okay with a bit of rust. I guess I'm going to have to take that part off too, and then post more pics when I'm done with that.

I'm getting one of my friends and my brother to push the car into the garage soon. Hopefully it'll stay there until the engine starts up :-(

Yikes! Unless that pic just doesn't show it there apears to be NO oil in the head at all resilting in a rusted cam. Is there any oil in the engine? Will it turn over? Pull the plugs and try tuning it by hand. When was the last time the engine ran? Looks like you have some work to do to get that running at all. Good luck, I don't think its going to be a simple fix.

Uhh if I'm correct it hasn't run for 12 years... How many weekends will it take to fix this? And will regular wrenches be able to take out the head?

LOL, that depends on how good you are na d how much money you have. But it the cam is that rusted its a good bet the cylinders and crank won't look any better. Odds are you're looking at a complete engine rebuild. Yes you can pul the head with common tools but you should know what you're doing, just don't start unbolting things. At least pick up a shop manual fot that year Datsun. Maybe there is someone local on this board that can give you a hand.

I don't think that's what you parents want to hear. IMHO they should be happy you're willling to take on something like this and learn something about cars. Obviously your Dad is not a gearhead.

How much would another L28 cost? If it costs less in total I'd much rather try to fix up the original engine...
I don't really know the going cost for a running L28, but I really doubt you'd pay more than $400. FWIW, I managed to get a complete parts car for $200, and the engine runs fine, now that we've got it sorted out. The thing about getting a motor from the junkyard though is that you probably won't be able to see if it runs or not.

Check the for sale section and craigslist, alot of people get rid of their old motors for a swap, could find a good deal on something like that.

I suppose I'll take a look.

Does anyone know the legality of getting rid of a car without proof of ownership?