HybridZ

Honda pulling out of F1

bschiltz

I was reading a couple things related. A couple days before they pulled out I read that Ecclestone wanted to get rid of the points, and only give a gold, silver, and bronze medal for the first three finishers. That would mean that Honda would be throwing money at F1 for a couple years with maybe not even a single medal. The other thing was quite a bit contradictory, that they were going to try and limit the spending in order to level the playing field.

One thing is for sure, Honda was getting their ass handed to them.

I truly miss the good old days (Senna, Prost, Mansel...), Ecclestone wanted to get rid of the points, and give medals a la Olympics, pure silly... And yes, Honda being such a reputable company may be a good idea to pull from F1 for now and perhaps invest some of those F1 millions in more research and develop, since they were getting their ass handed to then, like Jmortensen said.

Alex

I really hope that the cost cutting reforms that are being thrown around don't damage F1. Seeing a Toro Rosso driver do so well at Monza and Renault's comeback in the last few races showed that it isn't just a two horse race. A few judicious cost restrictions at a time to keep an eye on things would be good, but NEVER a spec race or homogulated like Nascar.

And yes, Honda being such a reputable company may be a good idea to pull from F1 for now and perhaps invest some of those F1 millions in more research and develop, since they were getting their ass handed to then, like Jmortensen said

If you follow F1 you'll know the Honda decided to take it in the pants for 2008. They were one of the most well funded teams last year and completely shifted focus to 2009. They made that decision after Ross Brawn arrived and saw the performance of their car in 07 winter tests.

The question now is can a home be found for this team. They have some of the most up to date resources of any F1 team and poached considerable to help them out.

Cary

If you follow F1 you'll know the Honda decided to take it in the pants for 2008. They were one of the most well funded teams last year and completely shifted focus to 2009. They made that decision after Ross Brawn arrived and saw the performance of their car in 07 winter tests.

The question now is can a home be found for this team. They have some of the most up to date resources of any F1 team and poached considerable to help them out.

Cary

True statement!

Alex

From Autoblog.com

cosworth_f1_450op.jpg

Honda's departure from Formula One came down to a singular factor: cost. The amount of cash required to campaign a team (or two) in the top tier of open-wheel motorsports has been on an upwards trajectory for as long as we can remember, and combined with the current economic downturn, it was just a matter of time before a manufacturer questioned whether or not it was worth the expense. That's a tough pill for enthusiasts to swallow considering all the knowledge gleaned from F1 -- not to mention WRC.

However, in an attempt to get costs in check, the FIA announced earlier this year that it would pursue a tender to supply an engine and transmission package to teams for the 2010 season and beyond. F1's governing body announced today that Cosworth has been tapped to provide the new "low-cost" drivetrain, that requires an up-front payment of 1.97 million Euros and then an additional 6.42 million Euros each season during the three-year contract. While 20+ million Euros might not seem like a bargain, it's a pittance compared to what automakers invest developing their own engine. If they opt out of the unbadged Cosworth engine, teams can use their own de-tuned version of the current 2.4-liter V8. Transmission choices are still up in the air, as Cosworth negotiates with Xtrac and Ricardo.

From Autoblog.com

cosworth_f1_450op.jpg

Honda's departure from Formula One came down to a singular factor: cost. The amount of cash required to campaign a team (or two) in the top tier of open-wheel motorsports has been on an upwards trajectory for as long as we can remember, and combined with the current economic downturn, it was just a matter of time before a manufacturer questioned whether or not it was worth the expense. That's a tough pill for enthusiasts to swallow considering all the knowledge gleaned from F1 -- not to mention WRC.

However, in an attempt to get costs in check, the FIA announced earlier this year that it would pursue a tender to supply an engine and transmission package to teams for the 2010 season and beyond. F1's governing body announced today that Cosworth has been tapped to provide the new "low-cost" drivetrain, that requires an up-front payment of 1.97 million Euros and then an additional 6.42 million Euros each season during the three-year contract. While 20+ million Euros might not seem like a bargain, it's a pittance compared to what automakers invest developing their own engine. If they opt out of the unbadged Cosworth engine, teams can use their own de-tuned version of the current 2.4-liter V8. Transmission choices are still up in the air, as Cosworth negotiates with Xtrac and Ricardo.

There will be most certainly more defections from F1. I don't believe Ferrari could stomach racing with another engine not their own. Rumors are flying around the F1 forums that Ferrari, Renault, Mercedes and Toyota are looking at possibly starting their own series or (unbelievably) trying to buy into IRL. I do know that the teams are already unhappy about no North American races, losing Monza, and Silverstone, all the addes races in the Middle East and Asia with non-descript, boring tracks.

There will be most certainly more defections from F1. I don't believe Ferrari could stomach racing with another engine not their own.

What I've read is you can build your motor it just won't be allowed to have more performance than the cossie. And the tranny is the same for everyone, which probably also means the KERS unit.

I do know that the teams are already unhappy about no North American races, losing Monza, and Silverstone, all the added races in the Middle East and Asia with non-descript, boring tracks.

I'd love to see F1 in America at some place like Laguna Seca. I agree, many of the new tracks seem pretty much the same. I think the only Tilke circuit I like is Turkey. Singapore was kind of neat but I don't really want more night races.

Oh well, it will all go where ever Bernie gets the most money. Or where Max can find cheap labor :-)

Cary

What I've read is you can build your motor it just won't be allowed to have more performance than the cossie. And the tranny is the same for everyone, which probably also means the KERS unit.

I'd love to see F1 in America at some place like Laguna Seca. I agree, many of the new tracks seem pretty much the same. I think the only Tilke circuit I like is Turkey. Singapore was kind of neat but I don't really want more night races.

Oh well, it will all go where ever Bernie gets the most money. Or where Max can find cheap labor :-)

Cary

Don't get me started about Bernie and Max!!:fmad: Singapore was cool....But Las Vegas at night would be WAY cooler. Those weenies have no problem with city courses, maybe Long Beach? Definitely NOT Indy!!