HybridZ

Replacing glass with Lexan, Question

When you guys replace the back hatch, or any of the other glass for that matter with Lexan do you try to match the curvature of the glass or just put it in as it comes? Of course the door windows would have to be curved I guess, but how close is close enough?

If you try to match the stock glass, how do you go about it?

Thanks for any replys,

John

Lexan is a race car only mod. It is very maintenence intensive and will scratch if you look at it wrong. For a race car, I would reccomend a tear off on the windshield to extend the life of the lexan. I've had a lexan windshield on the track car this year and will be going back to glass. Less work is better. I'll be gaining 15 lbs according to my scale. I'll gladly take the weight for a more durable part. The best way for me to drop weight would be to give up the ice cream.

For a street car, It would be out of the question for me. One sweep of the wipers and the lexan would be badly scratched.

Very shallow curves can be duplicated just in the mounting. Larger or sharper curves (like the windshield) must be set with heat and either a mold or a vacuum form.

I agree with Mark regarding the appropriateness of polycarbonate windows on a street car.

You should use straps on the hatch, that will pull the Lexan into shape a bit. Quarter glass shouldn't matter, don't do the door glass unless you never want to roll the window down. Just like the windshield wipers, if you roll the window down and back up it's going to be scratched up pretty badly.

You can buy lexan with a anti scratch coating (I believe its called MR10). I bought some to do my quarter windows and rear hatch glass. It's good stuff and doesn't scratch easily (I tested a leftover piece with some sandpaper).

There is a company (don't remember the name) that makes preformed windshields (for race use only) and they have the coating as an option.

Some info on MR10 Lexan:

http://www.modernplastics.com/june05/wdlexan.html

Was it very expensive jtl?

Also, I don't know that I see why you couldn't just use Contact or some other clear plastic covering? Like an untinted version of window tinting stuff.

Dave

It wasn't that bad...I got enough to do my rear hatch and quarters for less than $150.00

I'm glad that somebody brought this up cause I was thinkin about replacing all side and rear glass with lexan. But if it will scratch that easily, then it's no go. Is there any other lightweight replacements for glass that will not scratch easily??

Read my earlier post about the scratch resistance.

You will definitely be gaining a maintenance issue using Lexan on a streetcar. If you're OK with that, Lexan is great. I cut 10 lbs from an already light rear hatch using carbon fiber hatch only that weighs 2.5 lbs! You can also do a flush mounted quarter window that helps with aero. I used special GE Glue from the polycarbonate store to glue mine in. No problems.

Things to consider for rear hatch.

1. I think it's important to follow hatch contour for aero reasons. I bought plastic washer of the appropriate depth to achieve this from McMaster-Carr. I also used aluminum bolts and nuts for attachment approx every 8 inches or so.

2. For the glass not to try and lay flat once you have it all attached at the perimeter, you will need metal straps on the inside and outside. I use two equally spaced AND the inner one has to have a contour built into it.

Greg Ira

I had a car in Japan what had the 1/4 window broken out several times as lowlives on base decided they needed some belongings of mine visible in the interior more than I did.

After the third time, I put a Lexan window in there, figuring the next time they would break the large glass (guess not, it attracts too much attention)...

someone heard the guy whack-whack whacking feverishly on my new lexan 1/4 window (smoked daaaark black!) with his stubby ball-pein hammer and called the SP's. They caught his butt and hauled him to the brig.

Stops a bullet, heck, stops thieves. For an occasional user car, with some cockpit canopy polish polycarbonate sticks around opticallin in stationary windows for quite a long while. You just don't go cleaning it with water and newspaper!

I'm just not sure how it will work with what I want to do with mine. I want to weld my hatch shut and make the window open. Also thinking about putting the quarters on hinges and having them open at the rear like some trucks do. Just not sure how I'm gonna work those out yet. Maybe actuators like my wife's van has for the rear windows, and hinges and latch out of an older gmc jimmy.............oooh, I think I can do that.

• 3 months later...
The windsheild is a structual part of the unibody right? Would the Lexan be able to handle that kind of stress or do you pretty much need to have a full roll cage to take up the stress?

Since the windshield sits in rubber trim instead of being bonded in, like more modern cars, it's not too structural.

Steve