HybridZ

my seat broke, what are my options?

Niku-Sama

so of course my seat broke, the back of the driver seat wont stay clicked in at any normal up and down spot, it'll click in at almost lying down and completely flat, nothing higher than that.

i was going to head to the junkyard and get the red bucket seats that were there the last time i was there (not pretty but functional seats)

i was wondering what other options, preferably junkyard, are open to use.

i already know about the CRX seats, any thing else?

a little bit of modification to the seat is ok but i am not drilling into the car and i have 3 seat rails, the 2 in the car already and a seccond driver seat rail. i have a wire welder too, its ok for this sort of thing, i tried fabing up some subaru seats and i got the rails on it nodified but i forgot one rail was lower than another so that was the end of that.

You have a welder, why not take the seat reclining device apart and weld the teeth back on it? You can shape them with a simple hand file and they'll probably be harder when you're done than when they were originally. Don't EVER be afraid to be creative.

Just and idea...it'll only take you some time, a bit of wire and some electricity.

Ok, I had the same problem, I'm kind of a big guy. My solution, pull the little cover off the door side of the seat, there will be a black bolt right in front of you and it will be broken(it was on mine). Pull this bolt and replace it with new bolt(I used a 375 grade a). Now my seat worky again. I can't remember the exact size of the bolt but it was a fat sucker. If you want a good replacement I know that Autozone has a thread checker panel in every store. Other than that I don't know what to tell ya.

Oh and put a nut on the backside and tighten it fairly snug, it'll make the seat movement stiffer, but will lessen the chances of it breaking again.

Or you can just wedge a 4x4 behind the seat to your desired position and cope with it(I did this for about 6 months until I pulled my seats out to remove my moldy carpet. Stupid leaky window seals.

If you're trashing the seat anyway, what's the harm in trying?

i'm not going to trash them but i dont want to light them on fire trying to weld it, i have had it happen already.

theyre going up on craigslist or theyre going to be traded off to some one who wants them for parts or for them to fix at the local club if they want em. either way they need reupholstering, the fuzzy is all worn off and the fabric is shot to ♥♥♥♥. typical 30 year old seats

Ok, I had the same problem, I'm kind of a big guy. My solution, pull the little cover off the door side of the seat, there will be a black bolt right in front of you and it will be broken(it was on mine). Pull this bolt and replace it with new bolt(I used a 375 grade a). Now my seat worky again. I can't remember the exact size of the bolt but it was a fat sucker. If you want a good replacement I know that Autozone has a thread checker panel in every store. Other than that I don't know what to tell ya.

Oh and put a nut on the backside and tighten it fairly snug, it'll make the seat movement stiffer, but will lessen the chances of it breaking again.

Or you can just wedge a 4x4 behind the seat to your desired position and cope with it(I did this for about 6 months until I pulled my seats out to remove my moldy carpet. Stupid leaky window seals.

i'll check into this bolt, i dont have a autozone here to check the threads but i'll manage.

i went to the junkyard and thankfully the seats out of the 81 were still there, were once read buckets seats, horribly faded but no tears and one of the side bolsters were gone and flappy so i brought em home, and cleaned them and then got into the seat it self to fix the bolster the best i could with out taking the cover off, the guts of this seat were hella rusty, EVEN INSIDE THE THING.

but while i was there i noticed no one had taken the heated pt cruiser seats so i got to thinkin, i took the funky stuff off the bottom of the sear and theres a nice wide metal plate to mount rails on and the stock placment of the rails was about 15" from bolt hole to bolt hole, pretty close to a z, so i took it over and popped it ino the yard car and it fits barely, the headrest comes awfully close to the roof, i am worried about sitting in it if i'll hit the roof (i'm 6'6" tall) and i am worried about the width, it looks like i might have a problem with the trim peices rubbing on the sills and/or the cushons preventing me from moving the seat at all.

the seat was power up and down but i would remove that but it was manual front to back.

mmm seat heater, well if i have some money later on this month i am gonna pick em up $20 a pair for seats, any pair they dont care they say.

so of course my seat broke, the back of the driver seat wont stay clicked in at any normal up and down spot, it'll click in at almost lying down and completely flat, nothing higher than that.

i was going to head to the junkyard and get the red bucket seats that were there the last time i was there (not pretty but functional seats)

i was wondering what other options, preferably junkyard, are open to use.

i already know about the CRX seats, any thing else?

a little bit of modification to the seat is ok but i am not drilling into the car and i have 3 seat rails, the 2 in the car already and a seccond driver seat rail. i have a wire welder too, its ok for this sort of thing, i tried fabing up some subaru seats and i got the rails on it nodified but i forgot one rail was lower than another so that was the end of that.

Do you want racing seats or do you want something somewhat practical? I Put momo Start 2007's in my s130