HybridZ

Am I crazy? Kicking around the idea of a trade.....

ktm

The past few weeks a little thought that was in the back of my head has been nudging itself forward. The more I work on my car, the more modifications I do, the more persistent the thought.

Basically, I've deviated away from my original plans for the car.....deviated quite significantly I might add. I originally wanted to do a stroker setup but convinced myself that price per horsepower was important, so I opted to go turbo. I love my setup, but I really am feeling that I should have gone the stroker route.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to arrange a trade.....my car for a well-sorted, 1972 or earlier 240z stroker with triple mikuni's or ITBs.

Am I nuts?

Ur Nutz.

Your car is reallly clean and you have a nice l28et setup. I think you would be bored (haha , I kill myself) of the stroker in about a week. What makes you want to make the switch, are you wanting to track the car? Also do you already have another car lined up or why trade whole cars....your motor is worth more then a stroker, why not sell you motor and buy one if thats really what you want. I got around 5500 for my l28 setup, which got me a really nice start on my vq swap.

I can't really explain it, maybe its's just a moment of weakness brought on by my constant tinkering. :lol: I have myself convinced that a stroker, while less powerful, would yield more enjoyment because I would stop tinkering with the damn thing and just drive it!

This is probably just one of those self-pity pleas that you need to air out every once in a while and have a buddy that will usually slap some sense into you.

I can't really explain it, maybe its's just a moment of weakness brought on by my constant tinkering. :lol: I have myself convinced that a stroker, while less powerful, would yield more enjoyment because I would stop tinkering with the damn thing and just drive it!

This is probably just one of those self-pity pleas that you need to air out every once in a while and have a buddy that will usually slap some sense into you.

First, I sort of know where you're coming from. I've always wanted to build a Z with just basic suspension mods, and an NA motor with moderate HP.

Second, why trade your entire car? Just trade motor for motor. It would probably be a lot easier, and you already have a clean shell.

This is and can be a real problem for some people. Sometimes I think the same thing (sometimes I miss my triple weber setup). Stop tinkering and enjoy the damn thing for a while. In my case, I will probably just buy another stockish N/A, because there is no way in hell I will give up my Z after all of the blood sweat and $$$$$$ I've put into it.

Morale to the story. Don't get caught up in modding for moddings sake. Develop a plan, stick to it, and enjoy the car for a while, then decide on the success of your plan. Adjust if needed. (In the northern climates, we only have so many summers in our life to enjoy, don't waste too many with the Z out of action)

Gets off of soapbox....

Scott.

Good luck.

Phil, oh how I wish I could have another car. The wife's agreed, but only after we move to a bigger house.

Z8Red, I hear you about modding for modding sakes. I've tried to adhere to my plan the best I could. I realize that I would have modified the stroker as well to a degree.

I just need to drive the damn thing more. I've been cursed with a spate of new parts breaking which sidelines me, and then I get the "while I'm at it" bug. :)

I felt the same way you did to a certain extent. I did a lot of work to my l28 and I constantly had issues that I just started to get fed up with. The last straw was when my turbo went out after a fresh rebuild.

I made a plan to change the motor for a stock NA vq35 and enjoy it while finishing up the little details on my car. I am very happy with what I have done...but looking back I still miss my L28 and the power, I probably would not have done my swap again, smarter thing I think for me would have been to just detune the l28 a bit, focus on drivability and enjoy it at around 300-350 hp and be done with it.

For some people it's just a "grass is always greener" thing. I know I have that problem sometimes. My 240 has a stroker with triple 44s that makes WELL over 300hp and almost 290 tq. It absolutely rips and runs flawlessly but sometimes the turbo bug creeps in and makes me reconsider everything (damn it's annoying). You're not crazy for considering a trade if that's what you really want. The hard part is deciding. My car spends most of it's time at the track or auto x where I believe my setup is better suited (my opinion only). If I began using the car for more street/trips and just ran an occasional track day then I would definitely build a stroker turbo.

I'm not sure why you think you'd do less tinkering with the NA engine. You'll just be thinking about different cams, ignition and cam timing, porting and polishing, exhaust, intake manifolds, headers, etc. There's no shortage of crap to mess with on the NA stroker.

I'd keep what you have and enjoy the fact that you have more power potential with a less high strung engine.

I would like to thank everyone for their insight. In the end I will just stick with the car after what Austin, Jon and others have said.

I was just buttoning up the engine tonight after replacing a methanol injector controller (car has been down 2 weeks) and a damn t-bolt clamp that connects the IC hose to the TB broke. :cry: I had hoped to drive it tomorrow. Ah well, time to find one locally if I can so that I can drive it on the weekend.