HybridZ

Is this a good birthday purchase?

josh817

My best friend, Mackenzie, is having her 18th birthday on Valentines Day. No, she won't be my Valentine however we haven't celebrated either of our birthdays before so I thought it should be now before we part ways for college. She likes strange out of this world sort of books, guitar stuff, ambient music, you get the type of person I mean right? I plan on getting her a book of some sort too rather than my guitar because my guitar is some cheap off brand thing that never sounds good. Don't want to be like "Here, take this thing I hate because it sucks. Its your present by the way." :weird:

So instead I opted for this watch set for him/her. Make it some sort of best friend watch type thing. Didn't get too crazy on it, just platinum I do believe but no diamonds or anything like that. I've worn the male watch and people think its a females because of the small links.:icon13: Now my main problem is getting a jeweler to replace the batteries. No one can do the job saying "We don't carry those watches so if it breaks we can't replace it for you" errrrrrrr! This is the first time with jewelery and women, I don't know what they like, you experienced men do. They seem kind of bland to me but I didn't mean for them to be flashy. After all, I am a bland boy. I like my world in black and white.

20gftpe.jpg

28vyixf.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the description you gave of her I do not think these watches suit the profile. That set looks more appropriate for husband and wife kind of deal, you know "his and hers". The watch is very classy and she looks like a classy girl. You should get her a funky watch.

You should ask her out, she is very beautyfull and if you end up marrying her that set would be a nice 5 year marriage anniversary gift. :)

Good luck.

I see nothing wrong with your idea. If it's a friendship thing then just say that in the card. She'll think about you everytime she wears it.

Fair warning though... don't be hurt if she stops wearing it if/when she starts dating other guys. It's difficult explaining to your significant other why you're still wearing jewelry given to you by someone else... even if it is just a friendship thing.

Trouble is the only time she will be wearing it is when she is on a date with another guy! I dunno what kind of relationship you have with her but I agree with Dat260, definitly a couple or husband/wife type thing. Ive been with my girlfriend for 5 years and I dont think I would get that lol...of course I bought her hella e code headlights for her big xmas present so I might be a little different.

Shes definitly cute as well.

This is my experience, itt is never about the gift itself or the cost, it is about the quality of the gift you give.

Make something by hand that will mean the most to her and you. Certain gifts I gave over the years have been so meaningful because they meant just as much to me, as it did giving it to her.

Making something by hand would completely fit the crazy type description she likes. Give it some thought and your answer should appear.

Yah I'm starting to wonder myself too. I don't know if she's a watch type of girl. All I know is I'm horrible at gifts and typically just do like gift cards but thats for family, not for attractive best friends. >_>

I can still see her watch ending up in the dresser collecting dust until the next time we hang out... Last time I made someone a braclet and thats what happened. The watch set was like $250 but I bought it a long time ago but never had anyone to give it to, never wore a watch either. I don't think I'd spend that much on jewelery anymore (thats why I pulled the little black tab out with the price), not until I'm out of college and have a job that is. I don't really even know if Geneva is a good brand. :/ I can't find a company webstie and it doesn't help that Geneva is a place in Switzerland I do believe so you get all sorts of search results.

well if she's your best friend, I assume you guys have known each other for a while, and probably have some good memories/pictures tied up in all that.

How about making a photo album, or something like that she can take with her to college? Earns points too:icon14:

Brilliant! Or make a mix CD of tunes that remind you both of events.

I agree with the guys here who say that the watch doesn't fit her personality - it's a nice watch set - don't get me wrong - but seems like she's the kind who'd appreciate a hand made, well-thought out gift (like a photo album). I think there are several sites out there (shutterfly.com) that offer album services - you just upload your pics and design the book - then they ship it to you. My wife did that a couple years ago and it meant a lot. If you have a lot of photos of you two, or just her and you separately, consider this an option.

Also, are you seeking her romantically? If so, that changes everything in your gift, IMHO. If not, you're cool :)

If she likes crazy books, get her "Wicked" (Wizard of Oz prequel series). It's written very differently than other books - takes a lot of attention to read it (my wife tells me...I haven't tried - but the musical is AWESOME).

GL - let us know what happens and what she thinks!

The best gift are the ones that the recipient wouldn't buy for themselves, it needs to be emotional not practical.

Women aren't like us, you would get me welding rods and a hammer and I would love ya. Women aren't like that, what does she like? Music, theater, spa, massage....Give her something where she will feel pretty and taken care of, where ir shows that you have put some thoughts. Perhaps a special book, whatever.

That is my 2 cents! I guess my Marketing experience are helping me in that department!!

Dayz

I can't really describe her, thats probably why we stayed best friends since she lives 30-45 minutes from me. She's a rather mysterious girl. The type that loves like national geographic, deep space, animals, etc. Her myspace DID have a list of all her books and bands but she stopped getting on a long time ago. Talking to her sister and she said she isn't really a jewelery type of girl, she likes shoes, purses, and dresses but she is really picky. We went through the store once and I tried finding something she would like and she said ew to everything.... >_>

I'll just get her some books. That Wicked book sounds like something she would read. She also likes old fashion genres like The Great Gatsby. I absolutely hate that book... :/

ALSO, you men are an invaluable resource to my lifestyle which would be my Z and girls. Thank you.

From what you describe, if you want a watch, one of those chunky SWATCH ones made out of a crushed Ali can would be more her thing.

Thats a classy, prim power-suited woman type of watch, the kind of woman to wear that would be drinking chateau lafitte and reading old classics like tolstoy IMHO.

Yeah I agree with dayz, give her a gift certificate to go to a massage therapist. Figure out what kinda massage she likes/whats most sensitive on her, then get the choose the type of massage that you think would best suit her. And then maybe take her out to dinner at a really nice resturant and pay.

Make sure it serves alcohol and reserve a room in a hotel, nicer one if possible with only one bed.

Yeah I agree with dayz, give her a gift certificate to go to a massage therapist. Figure out what kinda massage she likes/whats most sensitive on her, then get the choose the type of massage that you think would best suit her. And then maybe take her out to dinner at a really nice resturant and pay.

Make sure it serves alcohol and reserve a room in a hotel, nicer one if possible with only one bed.

So is she your best friend, or best friend?