HybridZ

Losing interest in the Z...what would you do if you had the money?

zeeboost

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I keep telling him "Enjoy it for a while".

...The car is drivable so enjoy it. Drive it around the block as an escape to get away from the stress of life...

Keep the car as drivable as you can for as long as you can so you can remember WHY you are doing the project. If the project sits on jack stand for 3 months or more, you're losing the battle and you will be much more easily sidetracked. It's that simple.

Mike Kelly

Good advice. Something I learned (still learning actually) the hard way.

This thread really hits home. I bought my z-car project a few months ago, and have literaly taken the car cover off of it three times to look at it. Frankly, it kind of scares me, but I bought it as a long term project, something to keep me out of trouble on the weekends. I agree that you need to take a car project one piece at a time. But not all the pieces are directly related to the car. I have had to build a shed for storage, knock down a wall in the garage and re-model the garage just to fit the z in there to work on it. Maybe this weekend the car will be indoors for the first time I've owned it. I have doubts every day if its worth it, and I havent even started. But I got this project car as just that, a project. I know it will take time to finish. Basically, if it doesn't make you happy, why do it? If you got a Viper, what would your hobby be? Stamp collecting?

I have never had my Z out of action for very long. In the past, when it was sitting too long during our short summers, I would get frustrated and think about just getting rid of it and buying one already fully built so I could enjoy it.

The longest time it was out of action, was almost 1 year, and I lost the summer season. I knew I would be in trouble with this before the project began, so I bought another Z to enjoy during the project. It made the project more enjoyable and not so tense to "finish it"

I have bought several project Z's in my day, and many of them from owners who had their Z for many years, and had never driven it! Too many people pick up one of these cars, and want it all RIGHT NOW! If so be prepared to spend big $$$$$$ Just enjoy it, and do a bit each year. No point spending 10 years to build a track car only to find out you don't enjoy it, or can no longer afford the time or money or both to do it.

I spent many years turning my z into a "racer", only to never drive it due to comfort, and spending just as many years making the car more streetable/comfortable. I learned the hard way..

Scott.

Im somewhat in this same boat. The Z has been sitting for 8 months now and although I have been working on it. It makes me depressed to see it sit and yet I find it hard to make the time to work on it. Now the deal is Im a full time auto tech and do alot of side work at the sametime. To the point of being burnt out on just working on cars in all.

But I have a plan and that is the key! When I bought the car in late May, I was going to do everything at once. Now I have decided to Repair the rust in the firewall and batt tray(That has been done), and get the VQ swap running. Then drive it for awhile! I plan on doing brakes and suspention and body work but not now. I found its easier to work on something that is driveable for a week or two than to stare at a car in the corner.

Id say get a nice DD and make small projects on the Z and enjoy it!

It's not the time that I'm concerned with. Until school starts, I have plenty of time on my hands to do the widebody project. It's the money. That's why I'm debating on which car to spend the 30k on. I can drop that money into the widebody, and although it will be very quick (most likely quicker than the vette) after everything is said and done, I'm still left with a rustbucket that's noiser than hell going down the highway, I'm sure it will have water leaking issues, where I can only drive in nice weather, I'll have to yell at the top of my lungs to hold a conversation with someone, or crank the radio to 7/8 max volume so I can make out symbols and drum beats to recognize what song is playing, and I'll still smell like crap anywhere I go. Another downer is always having to take the girl's Neon when we go out of town because of this.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE these cars, and I've been dreaming about building this widebody for years. Now that I'm finally adding up the expenses, I'm trying to look at what exactly I'm putting the money into. I agree 100% about if the passion is there, then there shouldn't be an issue. That's a different perspective that I never noticed, and it's true once I think about it. The other cars I've built I had a lot of passion into it, and didn't care what kind of money I put into them. Maybe I've lost that passion...I don't know.

As I mentioned earlier, I have college coming up this fall. I'll be going to school full time and I'm not planning on working, as I've saved up enough to be able to survive on my own for the remainder of school. I will be going into a med field, and in order for me to achieve my goals, a 4.0 is a must. I really don't want to have to worry about a project car when I have exams coming up...plus it would be an easy excuse for myself to put off homework. Although I would be "finished" with the project by this fall (if I start very quickly), as history has taught me, there's always work to be done with these. Plus, if I finish the widebody project, I'd need to take my Ranger with me to have as a daily driver and a parts hauler. The more I think about it, the more it seems more logical to abandon the project. I only want to take one car with me to college, and probably my R6 as well. Although a 350z would be much more practical for me, since I wouldn't worry about parking it anywhere or what weather conditions it sees, I'm still going to see if I can test drive a C6 this weekend. I have a buddy that's a sales manager at a GM dealership, so I'm hoping he can set something up with me, if not this weekend, then soon. Maybe once I drive it, I won't really make a connection with it and end up sticking with the widebody project...who knows.

Thank you all for your advice and different views on the situation - it really helps put things into perspective. Just to clarify, again, it's not a time thing. I don't mind putting the labor into the car. I love building these cars...it may just need to wait a decade or so before I should get back into them.

BTW, I'm planning on selling the '77 2+2, '83 turbo, '76 280z, and MAYBE my '72 240zt. If I buy the C6, then I'd also sell the '75 widebody project. The remaining Z and a few parts would go into storage if I bought the vette. I'm going to be doing some research on the vette forums to make sure it's something I want to get into.

Knowing Lance (zeeboost), my vote is video games. :)

I may play Call of Duty when my friends get online every once in a while, but for the most part the time would be directed towards studying and homework.

There is one other variable in here...my '82 280zxt. It's been in the most unmotivated bodyshop I've ever seen for the last 1.5 years. This was designated to be the DD. I have over $1000 in brand new Nissan/MSA weatherstripping, all rust repair is being done, dynomat, a/c, it will look exotic (not as good as the vette, but close), and I'm planning on replacing the carbed v8 with a megasquirted LT1 with an EDIS to eliminate the opti (which I already have all of this stuff in the garage). I've lost motivation on that one, too, since I haven't driven it in so long. If I can convince myself to stick with that as my DD, then I'll probably give the widebody a green light...but not before test driving a C6 first :mrgreen:

While I'm at it, and since I can always use a different point of view - any cons to the C6, other than it's more common than a widebody? I'm confident I could do any type of engine repair to it, but I've never messed with a transmission/transaxle like they have, so if something goes wrong I'd be in unfamiliar territory. I've modified Zs for the past few years, and nothing else. I'm also not sure about how much corvette parts are marked up, if something was to break. That's another pro for the Z - junkyards :-).

If your wanting to make a z more of an exotic luxury type car... get LOTS of sound deadener and insulation. If you do that and replace the weather stripping you should get tomb like silence in the cabin area and no leaks or fumes. It'll ride like a caddy or BMW.

Sound deadener and luxury insulation isnt cheap though and adds weight. But if your looking for something more streetable comfortable and exotic, go for it. Try it out.

You can do ANYTHING if money permits.

You want a z exterior with a luxury interior? Look into deadener.

Want to quiet your car down? Get a silencer or muffler.

I posted a thread awhile back about deadener. Second skin makes some good products. I have their damplifier pro but havent installed it yet.

Yeah, I'm planning on adding that on the '82 280zx, as well as a high-flow cat (to help with the fumes) to make it more daily-driver friendly. If the LT1 can't make up for the added weight, I'll add a procharger to it :-).

With 30K dollars I would buy a e46 m3 and put a turbo kit on it and call it a day, 500-700hp, smooth, reliable, drivable, and sleeper. As much as I love my Z Honestly if I could have my money back that what I would probably do just because I could drive it and enjoy it everyday. My Z is slowly getting there though another couple months and she will be a good DD I hope.

Trouble is one accident and kiss your 5 years of work good bye, cant replace 30 year old sheet metal, blood, sweat, and tears like you can a vette, viper, or bimmer.

I'll sell the OP my 355 HP DINAN E46 M3 convertible (38K miles) for less than $30K :) I never drive it. It's pretty damn fast for a "fat" car, even without the turbo job.

I guess I'm not a corvette guy :-( . I just sat in a C5, and 6'5" guys don't fit too well in there. On top of my knees nearly hitting the steering wheel, I could feel my hair grazing the roof. Unless a C6 is any different on the inside (which I doubt) looks like I'll be stuck.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's one of the "big questions" of life.... whether to continue an effort with a 35-year-old car, attempting to build it to be both fast and comfortable, or to relent and to purchase a much newer vehicle for all-around attributes.

A friend at work is shopping for Corvettes, to ship to his father, back in Europe. The budget is around $18K, which is good for a stock C5, 1998-2002 or so. This afternoon we test-drove a 1998 C5 automatic. I've driven Vettes before, but this was the first opportunity for a thorough evaluation. Suprisingly, it is a comfortable car, with decent interior and good build quality. It is not noisy, or drafty, or rattly, or otherwise saddled with manufacturing defects. Underhood, things are logically arranged, and even the spark plugs are within reach. Pedal feel and placement are comfortable, the steering effort is just about right for a daily driver, and even the exterior visibility is quite good. All in all I was pleasantly surprised.

But here's the problem... it's just NOT a sports car! It lacks the ferocity of acceleration, and the nimbleness of handling. It is a GT cruiser, not a car to take to the strip. Since it was an automatic, I can't be blamed for my lackadaisical clutch/shifting techniques. Dropping the hammer, acceleration is just OK... it is faster than a modern V6 family sedan, but only just faster... it is NOT night and day! As a true daily driver it is a reasonable alternative to a BMW/Benz/Cadillac for the fellow who does not need a back seat. But it should not be regarded as an alternative to a well-built V8 Z.

Now here is an even more surprising alternative... the Porsche Cayman. Another guy at work bought one a couple of years ago, and recently I got the chance to drive it. That car just begs to be driven hard, and winding out the gears for this lazy dour dweeb (your truly) was oddly very easy and very natural. Yes, the car felt a bit silly, with a trunk in the front and a trunk in the back, and the engine ensconced somewhere in the middle. But somehow the Porsche felt nimble, built for both aggressive driving and gentle puttering. It made highway lane changes at 100 mph the most natural thing... and this was the baseline model, not even the "S". It was down some 70 hp vs. the Vette. But it definitely FELT like the faster car, even though on paper the Vette probably achieved better numbers, at least in a straight line.

So... wait until Caymans depreciate down to below $30K.

I guess I'll post a little follow-up. My life has changed in several ways since March, which is undoubtedly a culprit for the shift in priorities, but I am selling several Zs. I never drove a C5 because basically, I couldn't comfortably fit into them. I did, however, wedge myself into and drive a relatively new C6, and even though it was an auto, I was impressed with the effortless acceleration. So impressed that I nearly bought a magnacharged C6 Z06 replica (widebody, z51 suspension, etc). I think really the only thing that stopped me was that it was an '05, and still had the weak rear-end. I read about other smaller reliability issues with the '05s that made me question the purchase, but in the end, I figured I'd be better off saving that money for school.

I plan to keep my widebody project, definitely, and my v8 280zx as a daily. The 280zx is still in the body shop, but after it's released I plan on installing an LT1, and if I'm not satisfied with the daily driveability of it, then I'll sell it, too, and buy a used Infiniti/Lexus/Acura as a comfortable daily. I feel like my heart isn't with these cars anymore...I put too much time into them, and now that I look back on it, see it as wasted time that I could've been doing something else with my life, even if it was visiting family for a weekend instead of working on these damn cars. So anyways, yes, I've decided to try to mix the best of both worlds with my 280zx - I'll be installing dynomat, a/c, EFI LT1, along with all new weatherstripping, etc, in order to make it a comfortable daily. If I can't achieve that, then I'll buy something modern. Simple.

Pretty sure I'm on my way out of it :wink:

It's more like an obsession that came with unwanted consequences as part of the package...and now that I look back, I see all the time I wasted with these cars, instead of making use of valuable, irreversible time. It's amazing how hindsight is always 20/20, and sad that it took this much for me to "snap" out of my little obsession.