HybridZ

Losing interest in the Z...what would you do if you had the money?

zeeboost

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not paying a professional garage to work on my Z - never have, and never will. Well, mechanical work, anyways. Body work is a different story for me. If I want to do a 700hp build the right way, engine/tranny/supercharger alone is $15,000, add the rear end, seats/gauges, body work and good paint job, coilovers, illuminas, camber/caster plates, wide wheels/tires, wilwoods on all 4s, not to mention all the other little things that come up, I will hit $30k easy. Now, I can drop $10k if I want to try my luck with the stock LQ9 and T56...but I figure it's only a matter of time before it grenades, and I'll be looking more at 500rwhp unless I add heads/cam, which would be a couple grand.

The GTM looks like a perfect candidate for the type of kit car that I'd like to build once I'm out of college and have a house, but my current circumstances wouldn't allow that kind of build. I don't even have enough space for all the datsuns, they're scattered out around southern and central Texas :-). I have a couple of bodyshop guys lined up for the widebody if I decide to do it...I just need to decide if I wanna pull the trigger for the project or not.

I see the vette much more of a practical daily driver than my widebody...I'm not even planning on having wipers on it :mrgreen

Sell it and move on, once you start to have doubts you may lose motivation and the project will drag on.

you've got a good stable of cars that you can't possibly drive all at once. I would start to downsize and focus on getting your education figured out while driving something reliable, clean and quick. Personally I see Vettes and vipers al the time and they are boring to me because they are almost always stock... but if I see a cleanly modded RS4 or M3 or even a IS300 I pay more attention... that all boils down to a personal preference though so pay no mind to me babbling. I would really love to have a car I can get in and out of comfortably, take long trips in without being a ricer or cop magnet, park it downtown without fear of it getting pissed on or otherwise desecrated, parallel park it, and throw bikes on during a camping trip. I would imagine that I could get really annoying trying to go camping or the beach in a Viper or a Vette.

good luck.

Your mindset is where mine should be, but it isn't. I know while going through college, a car should be the least of my worries, but I still want something a bit different. I wouldn't mind opening my garage to see

hoody.jpg

looking back at me. I could just hop in and drive away.

...and like I mentioned earlier, I'm planning on downsizing quite a bit in the near future. Honestly, something that I wouldn't worry about parking anywhere, getting dirty, etc. would be the 350z, which in addition to its cheap price and my turbo kit, makes it more appealing to me. But, if I buy the 350z, I'd still end up building the widebody, so it wouldn't accomplish much...just make things more complicated with another car to add to the list.

I suppose if you go all out for a super nice build with all the best parts you could spend $30K. From my perspective as one who can't do that I would opt for a lesser build. I sincerely doubt I would put $30K into a Z even if I had tons of disposable income. Some of those kit cars are really nice for about the same price. You're going to lose money either way unless you just buy a very nice (whatever) that's already built. That way the original builder loses money, not you.

EDIT: After reading your last post it's become clear to me that your automotive life is overly complicated. Allow me to do you a favor. Just sign over a couple of your nicest cars and I'll take them off your hands.

30K USD? you could buy a HSV Holden Maloo Ute from Australia, have it factory converted to LHD with Pontiac GTO dash and parts and badged as a El Camino...

2009 LS2 El Camino do it for you? :D

Before the crash and bailout of GM, there were rumours of Holden Utes being made on the G8 production line as El Caminos...

Have a read of this thread were we discussed modern cars vs Z's vs spending tons of money to achieve what many modern cars already have. And as for spending big $$ on Datsun's. It is totally possible to spend more than buying a new car even if you do much of the work yourself even more so if you want to compete in more than just acceleration vs a vette/viper (insert extreme car of choice)

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116924&highlight=modern+sports+cars

Scott

I have read posts similar in thought to this one on other auto forums. A response was made by someone on the HAMB forum that says it all. I dont remember the exact link , so I will try to convey the thought and logic. The response was along the lines of " Get rid of it all !!! What your lacking is passion for the project or car. Think about it . It the most important factor in completing the car because if you have the passion all the other issues are resolved. "

The poster hit the nail right on the head for many people. After some soul searching on my behalf I found this applied to my projects as well. Why did I complete an expensive frame off restoration on my Facel and yet abandon an old sedan delivery project that was about 60% completed. The money spent to just purchase the Facel would have easily paid a professional to complete the sedan. I had to admit that the missing component in my situation was passion. I didnt have it for the sedan and so it was doomed from the start.

Lack of passion has compromised many car projects. When you think of it many blame the inability to finance a build as the main reason for delaying or not completing a car. If passion existed the money issue would be the first problem solved.

Whether you agree or disagree with this is not important . That you understand what role passion plays in the process is.

Funny thing to me is I rarely see someone speed up to see a corvette, there a dime a dozen, but I often find people speeding up to me, flag me down, stare or wave just to get a better glimpse of the car.

The lines of a Z are timeless. Vette's are nice don't get me wrong, but it is not a Z.

Why do you need so much HP? I'm shooting for 400 HP for my car. Not to much, but not too little either. More than this and I can't see the bennefit unless it is stricktly a drag car and that is not what I'm after.

I remember reading that thread a while back, thanks for bringing it to my attention again. I think the main point that everyone agreed on is for the price, a hybrid Z is a good bang for the buck...most dollar figures were in the single-digit thousands. To me, 30k still seems like way too much to throw at an old Datsun in a few months...especially for a mild (to me) 700hp build. In that thread, Mikelly confirms the driving experience I'd expect to hear: the P-car and vette were both extremely quick around the track while enjoying the creature comforts, more predictable/controllable, and were able to hold their own. I don't think I could drive a few hundred miles in the widebody...the vette, I would make excuses to do it. Yes, I've always wanted something different - it's one of the things I enjoyed most about the Z, but even though C6 vettes are common, I still don't see them all the time, just every once in a while, and they have a stock exterior.

20k sounds more reasonable for the widebody...I may try my luck with the stock drivetrain and see how long they last. I'll do some more research on the LQ9, and re-work my build costs on my excel spreadsheet to see if I can convince myself to go for it again.

My opinion as I've told you before: unload your vehicles until you're down to three at most (including the R6) and then use the time, space, money, and new-found passion you will definitely have to fuel the remaining projects.

Just pick three, or at least only have three vehicles total. You might sell the Ranger and get a replacement beater of some type.

You should sell off quick, before the economy really takes a dump.

Speaking from experience !

I love my C5, and would love to jump into a C6 ZO6, my Z (this is my second Z) is my escape from work, stress and all that is going on in the world. I have been upset because it has been cold and I have been working long hours, so I do not get over to my dad's garage to work on my car. If you get a vette as a daily driver, I advise you not modify it. The more you do, the more you will be concern were you park, going into drive ways and on.....

My C5 is a garage queen, it gets driven on the weekend and occasional track days. If I ever finish the Z, the vette may not see the light of day, unless my wife drives it.

• Administrators
What your lacking is passion for the project or car. Think about it . It the most important factor in completing the car because if you have the passion all the other issues are resolved.

There is a great deal of reality in this logic... in any of life's pursuits.

Yeah, I think it's a question of passion. My project Z will probably roll under its own power sometime this year, for the first time in ten years. It has been that shop class I couldn't get into in high school. Stripped the old girl bare butt nikked, pounded on the metal, found and destroyed more bondo than I thought possible to hang on sheet metal. Sometimes, no work on her for 3 or 4 months. Shopped every JY for 30 miles around and made a number of good friends: owners, cheap bastards, poor folks, professionals, and those who were maintaining some "old friend" they had had for years. You meet them all in junk yards. If they are looking for the same Z part as you; then, you have a competitor for a dwindling supply of parts and, maybe, a potential friend. After all, don't all great men think alike.

If the thrill is gone, move on to other things. Over the years, I've dallied with '71 Ranchero, a R100 Mazda (with a 13B bridge ported Rotary... what a hot fervid and short love affair that was) that I still dream over, and a number of other new modern comfortable cars: all forgettable. Like life itself, taking on a project is both a quest and journey. In the end, it is more about you than it is the car.

Cull your flock. Make some other Z lover's day and follow your passion, where ever it might lead you.

z

I personally love both vettes and vipers, but I like the personal satisfaction of looking at the guy with the nice new vette and telling him that I built mine with my own hands and it will smoke his (not that it can at the moment but that's my motivation). Just gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. Especially when its true and you have to prove it. :wink: But $30k is a lot of money. Really is a tuff decision.

I've owned my S130 for 2 years now and probably only driven it for 3 hours. I love the Zcar and don't even think about the money that I've dumped into it in the past. I know the day that I take it out and take that 100mph road trip back to cali will make every penny more than worth it.

I also have the support of my fathers family, every one of them a Z fanatic. It's where I got my love of the Z from and they have helped me out with more parts than I can imagine.

If you have lost the passion, maybe it's time to either move on, or put your Z on the back burner until that love affair rekindles itself.

Your mindset is where mine should be, but it isn't.

It took me a long time to get here. At one point in time I had four project cars in various states of completion. It wasn't until I made some poor decisions on great opportunities that I realized that my possessions were possessing me and I sold everything but the one Z and bought a used Honda Accord. While I had a craving for fast and fun cars over that 5 year span that reliable go anywhere utility machine made life much easier and it's low maintenance / low modification appeal allowed me to focus on my life, personality, and education. Now I have the one Z that I love, but am terrified to drive for fear of theft of vandalism or collision. It sits patiently in my garage for those perfect days and while It would be nice to drive all the time I'm moderately satisfied with the outcome.

Everyone is different though... take a step back and inventory your goals and survey your life. happy? satisfied? anything you want to do that might be difficult with things all around?

good luck.

What has worked well for me is to have 3 cars. All different, one daily driver, one drag car, one street rod. I then work on the one that I have a passion for at the time, and as time goes on I move back and forth between the 3. I have invested well under 30K in all three cars so it isn't like I have a ton of money and can afford three projects. I view it as one project, just a different car as my liking takes it each couple months.

You know what, seeing that black corvette made me remember a gem I saw the other week.

An all black Lingenfelter Corvette C6

I wasn't sure what it was at first, except that it was the most bad ass corvette I've seen around here, so I took a good look and found out what it really was.

freaking crazy to see such a nice high dollar car in this area (though, there are a lot of nice muscle cars that run up and down the roads from time to time)

Take a stroll down memory lane and remember what happened when I started losing interest...

First it was Mike's hipdeep in making control arms for the masses... Three years later and I buy a Corvette and start modifying and then tracking it... 2.5 years later and the Z finally has a rollcage, but not much more... And we move to the new house, and start the business up... and then I make the (on this board) sacreligious mistake of buying my dreamcar and posting about my run of good luck and mixed blessings... :roll:

Guys see a "Zcar" project that someone else has suffered thru and they don't see the countless hours spent away from family and friends, the broken marriages, and lost friendships, the mounting credit card debt or many other failures along the way. They just see something they want and "think" they have the skill, time, space and tools required to build the project out.

I have another guy on here who I've been helping with his build. I've sold him stuff cheap, given him a bunch of stuff, and want to see him succeed with his project. But I keep telling him "Enjoy it for a while". He has some coilovers he wants to have put on and I just keep putting him off... The car was on jackstands for a year or more, and I know this has strained his marriage already and he's a newlywedd. Now with children *(just had twins) I know time is even shorter. So for him to bring his car down to me for a weekend or more is a real challenge. The car is drivable so enjoy it. Drive it around the block as an escape to get away from the stress of life...

Take projects one bite at a time. Look at your Zcar as a Pizza. It's not smart to sit down with a large pie and pitcher of beer and think you're going to knock it out in one sitting... Take each piece of the project one piece (or slice of pizza) at a time. Don't try to do to much. Keep the car as drivable as you can for as long as you can so you can remember WHY you are doing the project. If the project sits on jack stand for 3 months or more, you're losing the battle and you will be much more easily sidetracked. It's that simple.

Buy a nice daily driver and let that suffice while you finish your Zcar Zeeboost. If you dive into another Make of car, trust me, it will draw you away further from finishing that car. Had I stuck with a plan, my Zcar would have been finished in 2004, not 2009. Do I regret the cars I've been fortunate enough to experience? Hell no. But I absolutely kick myself for "pushing" this pile of Datsun, Chevy, and aftermarket parts around for so long while I spent valuable time and money enjoying other cars. I should have finished one project before starting the next... You should too!

Mike Kelly

Alright, really starting to get second thoughts about my widebody 280z build. Over the last couple of years I've been accumulating parts for this, and the time to build it is getting closer and closer. Its features are: rear IMSA flares, speeder's old front clip (1-piece fiberglass bonnet with IMSA flares molded in), speeder's old sideskirts, and a 3-piece rear spoiler for the body. The engine I'm planning on a supercharged LSx engine pushing close to 700rwhp...most likely 670, through a T-56 and already acquired R-230 rear end. Coilovers, wilwood brakes, the works. Completely gutted interior, 3" dual exhaust with custom long tubes, you get the picture. So anyways, after looking at all of this, I'll be spending close to $30k, if not a little more, after the drivetrain/body/paint/chassis are complete.

With that kind of money, I could get a c6 vette, in which the magnacharger that I already have in my garage would bolt right onto (just need to add a different hood). Even more crazy is there's a 1997 Viper GTS (blue/white stripes) for sale locally in the same price range. I've looked up insurance on both, and they were much cheaper than I expected...easily affordable for me. So, going through my head, spend $30k on a Datsun, vette, or Viper. Seriously, it's starting to sound ridiculous to me to spend that much money on a Datsun. But, it's what I've been planning on building for the last couple of years. If I bought a newer car, I could get rid of all the Datsun parts cluttering up both of my garages. Then, the technology and aerodynamics are no comparison...just looking at a vette and 280z side by side, you don't need to compare drag coefficient numbers...it's night and day. Did I mention the targa top on a vette is a huge plus? Yeah, the Z may be lighter, but probably not by much. Then I wouldn't have the same wind noises, creaks, squeaks, pops, etc. I don't know, but I'm seriously considering dropping the project... :-(

Another thing for me to consider is that this next fall I'll be returning to school for another 3-4 years to finish my degree. I'm 3 years into it right now, but after trying to balance work and school, I ended up choosing work because it demanded too much of my time, and well, can't argue with the money, so I've been out of school for coming up on two years now. If I keep the widebody project, it will be going to school with me, along with my R6 and '97 Ranger (so I can haul parts around). On the other hand, if I bought the vette , it would be just that car going with me (and probably the bike). The Viper...I may buy another beater, because I wouldn't trust leaving that one in the school parking lot. The viper doesn't seem as practical to me as the vette, but damn it's just so beautiful.

So, if you had the money, and given the circumstances, what would you do? Another thing I've been toying around with is buying an '03-'04 350z, since I have a turbonetics turbo kit for one in my garage just collecting dust...but I still think I'd be happier with the vette...I don't know. I realize this is a Z forum, therefore you will be biased. Maybe those are the kind of opinions I need right now :-)