HybridZ

Losing interest in the Z...what would you do if you had the money?

zeeboost

Alright, really starting to get second thoughts about my widebody 280z build. Over the last couple of years I've been accumulating parts for this, and the time to build it is getting closer and closer. Its features are: rear IMSA flares, speeder's old front clip (1-piece fiberglass bonnet with IMSA flares molded in), speeder's old sideskirts, and a 3-piece rear spoiler for the body. The engine I'm planning on a supercharged LSx engine pushing close to 700rwhp...most likely 670, through a T-56 and already acquired R-230 rear end. Coilovers, wilwood brakes, the works. Completely gutted interior, 3" dual exhaust with custom long tubes, you get the picture. So anyways, after looking at all of this, I'll be spending close to $30k, if not a little more, after the drivetrain/body/paint/chassis are complete.

With that kind of money, I could get a c6 vette, in which the magnacharger that I already have in my garage would bolt right onto (just need to add a different hood). Even more crazy is there's a 1997 Viper GTS (blue/white stripes) for sale locally in the same price range. I've looked up insurance on both, and they were much cheaper than I expected...easily affordable for me. So, going through my head, spend $30k on a Datsun, vette, or Viper. Seriously, it's starting to sound ridiculous to me to spend that much money on a Datsun. But, it's what I've been planning on building for the last couple of years. If I bought a newer car, I could get rid of all the Datsun parts cluttering up both of my garages. Then, the technology and aerodynamics are no comparison...just looking at a vette and 280z side by side, you don't need to compare drag coefficient numbers...it's night and day. Did I mention the targa top on a vette is a huge plus? Yeah, the Z may be lighter, but probably not by much. Then I wouldn't have the same wind noises, creaks, squeaks, pops, etc. I don't know, but I'm seriously considering dropping the project... :-(

Another thing for me to consider is that this next fall I'll be returning to school for another 3-4 years to finish my degree. I'm 3 years into it right now, but after trying to balance work and school, I ended up choosing work because it demanded too much of my time, and well, can't argue with the money, so I've been out of school for coming up on two years now. If I keep the widebody project, it will be going to school with me, along with my R6 and '97 Ranger (so I can haul parts around). On the other hand, if I bought the vette , it would be just that car going with me (and probably the bike). The Viper...I may buy another beater, because I wouldn't trust leaving that one in the school parking lot. The viper doesn't seem as practical to me as the vette, but damn it's just so beautiful.

So, if you had the money, and given the circumstances, what would you do? Another thing I've been toying around with is buying an '03-'04 350z, since I have a turbonetics turbo kit for one in my garage just collecting dust...but I still think I'd be happier with the vette...I don't know. I realize this is a Z forum, therefore you will be biased. Maybe those are the kind of opinions I need right now :-)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it really depends on what kind of guy you are. Are you a vette guy or not. I could go from my Z to a 350Z, but I am not a vette guy. Maybe an RX-7 or even 8 but not a vette. I have friends that are vette guys and there is nothing wrong with it. I even have a friend with a Z-06 with 1300+ hp and torque. Same build as a ricer except with the fully built LS-2? and a real T-88. It is a daily driver and seems like a regular vette until it boosts.

I have been feeling the same way off and on for several years. My Z car is sporadically worked on when time and money allows but mostly it just sits in the garage. I've contemplated many different types of cars that I could be driving right now if I sold what I had and financed what I'm planning on spending down the road. Currently leading my short list of cars to buy is an NSX.

I really like my Datsun but most of the time I wonder if I'm really going to get around to doing all big and little things that need to be done to get it where I want it or do I want something that I can just get in and drive today. I appeased myself somewhat by buying a '93 Miata to use as a daily driver but I still have to walk by the Z in the garage everyday and look at the piles of parts all around it that need to be installed and get depressed. The only thing that makes me keep the Datsun is the encouragement of my friends and the pictures of completed cars that I have hung up around the house. You're not crazy, I think we all feel like this sometime.

With 30K dollars I would buy a e46 m3 and put a turbo kit on it and call it a day, 500-700hp, smooth, reliable, drivable, and sleeper. As much as I love my Z Honestly if I could have my money back that what I would probably do just because I could drive it and enjoy it everyday. My Z is slowly getting there though another couple months and she will be a good DD I hope.

Trouble is one accident and kiss your 5 years of work good bye, cant replace 30 year old sheet metal, blood, sweat, and tears like you can a vette, viper, or bimmer.

Looking at your sig, looks like you already have a nice garage full of Z's.

I know that I don't plan to spend near as much as 30K$ on my project. Personally, as cool as those LS2 Z's are, just seems a bit much to me. I'd sure drive one, and if I were full of more money than sense (not saying you LS2 Z guys are,) I wouldn't mind building one.

Don't know if that helps any. Like Lewis said, depends on the type of guy you are.

It seems to me that the Corvette or Viper would hold value more than a modified Datsun. I know that this isn't the point with most of us but my car probably is worth less than half of what I have put into it, where the Vettes and other Higher end sports cars keep their value.

I've always been a big Corvette fan and loved driving the C6 so I'm a little biased :)

Personally I've never driven a vette, so I couldn't tell you if I'm a "vette guy" or not. I just know that they are one heck of a bargain as far as chassis/suspension design, and they start you out with an excellent platform. I love the looks of the C6, but again, I haven't driven one...I guess that should be phase one, but I can't picture it too different than my v8 280zx. I did think about an rx7 ls1 combo, but then I figure I should just keep the Z as it's the same concept - big engine in a little car, and I know a lot more about the S30 than the FD. They are beautiful cars, though, I just wouldn't want to keep the rotary.

I'm not really a bimmer guy. I have driven them, and like you said, the power was smooth (M3, can't remember the year), ride was quiet, sound system was great, I loved the way it looked...but for whatever reason, it just didn't do it for me. Even drove an Audi quattro for a while, and although it was fun and zippy, it wasn't something I'd be interested in owning. Maybe it's the sound of american muscle that gets me? I know it's a huge plus, anyways :-) Like you, if I could go back, I wouldn't have bought all the Zs in my sig...maybe one of them.

At least half of the Zs in my sig will be for sale, hopefully soon. I've been building them for the 9 years now...maybe I'm just getting burned out. It's hard to overcome their timeless bodylines, light weight, and room for just about anything under the hood, though.

You guys are starting to bring back my second thoughts I've had over the years.... now 25k deep I look back like most of you others have.

But I look at it like this... Ive already started it... so why not finished it.

You guys need to stop talking like this... your even discouraging me.

I wouldnt go for a vette though... I would probably go for a MK IV supra or a nsx..

25k??? Howd you manage that?

I think Im right over 10k over 7 years. Paint, suspension, wheels, interior is done, motor is in my daily driver. Just need tires and to swap motors. Maybe another $1500 or so and then I have to be done. Have to pay for college. :(

I like driving something one seldom sees. Vettes are common, Vipers are fairly common, stock early Z's are less common, and nicely done customized widebody early Z's are rare. Personally, I like the 250 GTO's because they're very distinctive and most people have never seen one. Nice widebody Z's are nearly this rare too. I don't know why but I just like getting a rise out of people. Vette's and Vipers do that too but, IMHO, they're comparitively blas'e.

I think you should be able to build it for way less than $30K though... unless you're paying a professional garage to do all the work and you're expecting perfection.

I like driving something one seldom sees. Vettes are common, Vipers are fairly common, stock early Z's are less common, and nicely done customized widebody early Z's are rare. Personally, I like the 250 GTO's because they're very distinctive and most people have never seen one. Nice widebody Z's are nearly this rare too. I don't know why but I just like getting a rise out of people. Vette's and Vipers do that too but, IMHO, they're comparitively blas'e.

Vipers get more of a rise out of me than vettes... But accually I pay more attention to a heavily modified import than I do a stocker american. Not saying all vettes and vipers are stock... but most of them are just status symbols.

I know I personally have a lot of respect for someone who builds there own car over someone who goes out and buys something thats already fast and handles well. I also prefer the lines of older sports cars over the new ones. I say finish the project, you've had it this long, dont quit the race. You can always start a new project after the Datsun.

My next project : Early 70's Skyline GT-R with an RB26DETT swap (+ a whole lot of suspension and brakes)

Sell it and move on, once you start to have doubts you may lose motivation and the project will drag on.

you've got a good stable of cars that you can't possibly drive all at once. I would start to downsize and focus on getting your education figured out while driving something reliable, clean and quick. Personally I see Vettes and vipers al the time and they are boring to me because they are almost always stock... but if I see a cleanly modded RS4 or M3 or even a IS300 I pay more attention... that all boils down to a personal preference though so pay no mind to me babbling. I would really love to have a car I can get in and out of comfortably, take long trips in without being a ricer or cop magnet, park it downtown without fear of it getting pissed on or otherwise desecrated, parallel park it, and throw bikes on during a camping trip. I would imagine that I could get really annoying trying to go camping or the beach in a Viper or a Vette.

good luck.