HybridZ

280z LSD confusion

bianski

I have a build and i will be drifting my car and i am confuzed. my Z is a 77 manuall but it has a 4sp tranny but i assume the tranny was just switched out at some point, assuming it wasnt an automatic at one time i should have an 2 pinon open Longnose R200. But what the real questions are:

Is their cost effictive way in your opinion to convert it to LSD?

Is a 300zx turbo clsd a direct swap?

Is the difference between 240sx shortnose lsd's and my longnose lsd just the housing and if so could i put a 240sx LSD in it?(example -> http://www.frsport.com/KAAZ-SAN2655-2-WAY-LSD-LIMITED-SLIP-DIFFERENTIAL-S13-240SX-91-94_p_8780.html

thanks for clearing this up for me, i really appreciate it

I was serious when I said all your questions can be answered in that thread....

Cost effective... hum... you're looking at $500-$700 minimum unless you magically find a Z31T LSD in the junk yard (not gunna happen).

The 87-89 Z31T R200 clutch LSD is the easiest swap...

ok.... i have read that thread and it does not state whether they are a direct swap sure it says that they are the same diff except the open diff and clutch lsd but not if they bolt to the car the same or not.

As for the 240sx lsd internals it said that the spline count might be different MIGHT as in it was never answered so i was asking again in hopes that someone wouldnt just give the cure all answer of search but nvm...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=131008&highlight=240sx+lsd

240sx LSD = 29 spline count. It's also pretty rare to find a 240sx w/ LSD.

that tells me the differences between the R200 and R230 not the shortnose vs the longnose

i never said OEM lsd i said LSD that you put in a shortnose R200 from a 240sx

well i found this:

240sx short nose R-200 open- 29 spline

280z & zx long nose r-200 open- 29 spline

so i assume that it will fit? but is the only difference the carrier?

you may have opened the sticky, but did you read past the first page? if you did it has answered all of your questions, also you are asking some questions that where answered in like the 90's.

could you pretty please send a link me what page it answers them on. and i got here in 2007 so i don't know about what happened in the 90's sorry?

The most cost effective way to to get both tires to spin is to weld up the spider gears. No spline speculation, and an lsd for next to nothing.

That isn't an LSD (Limited Slip Differential), that's fully locked all the time, no slipping whatsoever.

As far as if the Z31 R200 housing will physically bolt right into place, the answer is yes. I've got an N/A Z31 R200 in my '72 right now. The part that will take some modification will be the CV halfshafts if you go with the full Z31T CLSD diff package. The information is out there bianski. BTW, if you're looking for the cheapest LSD option out there I would read through the OBX vs. Quaife sticky in this sub-forum (as well as the others that have been pointed out to you).

Also, it is entirely plausible that your car came from the factory with a 4-speed manual trans. 5-speeds were an option.

That isn't an LSD (Limited Slip Differential), that's fully locked all the time.

As far as if the Z31 R200 housing will physically bolt right into place, the answer is yes. I've got an N/A Z31 R200 in my '72 right now. The part that will take some modification will be the CV halfshafts if you go with the full Z31T CLSD diff package. The information is out there.

thanks but im now wondering if a 240sx aftermarket LSD if it will fit in the R200 longnose 2 pinion open diff carrier out of a 77 manuall 280z ( one like this http://www.frsport.com/KAAZ-SAN2655-2-WAY-LSD-LIMITED-SLIP-DIFFERENTIAL-S13-240SX-91-94_p_8780.html

because my bro has one in his 240sx and i love it plus im not sure if the Z31 clsd can hold up to drifting or if it can be consistent enought

thanks but im now wondering if a 240sx aftermarket LSD if it will fit in the R200 longnose 2 pinion open diff carrier out of a 77 manual 280z

Like the others have said, that's already been answered here as well. I'm not going to spend the time doing the research for you, but start looking for discussions surrounding 10mm bolt carriers and 12mm bolt carriers.

Ok in that picture it is used to launch a car it is not being used for more than lets say idk if its locked all the way down the track 10 seconds . also wich R200 is that car using?? The diff im gonna use will be able to not only withstand 10 seconds but literal minutes of being fully locked. It also has to be consistent i cannot have it unlocking and locking randomly on me. Now assuming he is using the 300xz diff ive heard from 240sx owners that Vlsd's arent good for drifting they are inconsistent. i want to use my longnose R200 So i go back to my question will a 240sx lsd fit in the carrier i have?

Ok in that picture it is used to launch a car it is not being used for more than lets say idk if its locked all the way down the track 10 seconds . also wich R200 is that car using?? The diff im gonna use will be able to not only withstand 10 seconds but literal minutes of being fully locked. It also has to be consistent i cannot have it unlocking and locking randomly on me. Now assuming he is using the 300xz diff ive heard from 240sx owners that Vlsd's arent good for drifting they are inconsistent. i want to use my longnose R200 So i go back to my question will a 240sx lsd fit in the carrier i have?

Are you kidding me?!?!?! The initial shock of that launch is far more wear than you car will probably ever see! And as far as the consistancy.....

You will find there is a reason you dont see many, if any at all, Zs drifting. They are not consistant going sideways. Grip is where they shine. You can find a running z for hald the price of a running silvia around here. Plus tha parts are like a thousand times more plentiful for the SX than the Z.

Are you kidding me?!?!?! The initial shock of that launch is far more wear than you car will probably ever see! And as far as the consistancy.....

Yes look up JNJ's videos and you'll change your opinions about the 'stock R200'

You will find there is a reason you dont see many, if any at all, Zs drifting. They are not consistant going sideways.

I agree, it took me a while [and quite a few suspension modifications] for me to feel comfortable with my S30's rear coming out.

My Z31? I could drive that thing sideways all around town :mrgreen: