HybridZ

Hyundai Genesis Coupe...

Mikelly

I know someone else started a thread several weeks back, but at the time I had nothing to offer...That was then...

Friend of mine showed me the brochure for the New Genesis Coupe... I was floored at how good this car looks... So I went and saw one at the local dealer who just so happened to have a 3.8L. track option example in "Silverstone"...

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/GenesisCoupe/exterior/feature.aspx

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/GenesisCoupe/interior/interior.aspx

Now I drive a higher end european automobile and love it because it is so heavily modded and does everything so well, but also because of the fit and finish of the car. I'm a big stickler for quality of materials, fit of body panels, seams and gaps, paint finish, and interior design and layout... I was FLOORED when I sat in this new "Hyundai". The interior is well thought out and the materials used are easily on par with my interior. Granted, I'm comparing an 8 year old car's interior, but that car cost $135K when new. This "Hyundai" retails for LESS THAN $30K with all options ($31750 with the ZF6speed auto). The exterior, with the rear wing, and the rear cowl/difuser styling looks very nice and the angles of the car are very pleasing, to me at least... I can't get over the look of this particular car. Brembos stuffed behind 19 inch alloys, and an aggressive look that screams LOOK AT ME!

Only complaint was the ride height. One of these lowered about an inch and with tinted windows would make an excellent daily driver and would surely be a hoot to drive. But, a HYUNDAI? YES, a Hyundai... Check one out if you haven't already, and do NOT go by the website or pics in magazines... They simply don't do it justice. See one in person and you'll know what I'm talking about...

I may go back for a test drive in this thing... Donna's BMW is getting a little long in the tooth, and we could turn it into "Mike's DD". If I can get her to seriously consider this car, we may well end up with one in the garage, for a more "extensive" long term review...

Still can't get over how nice this thing looks ...

Mike

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been following this car for a while. I went to the site when it first went on sale. I was o_O when I saw everything that came standard.

I just might consider buying one when the time comes, but I think I'll wait until the 2010 model comes out, unless my impatience get the better of me :P. I would be satisfied with just getting the 4 pot turbo (base model) :P

I think Hyundai should stick to doing what they do best and make cheap economy cars. On paper the Genesis looks good and even in person it's not so bad. Here is what's wrong with the car, it's a Hyundai. IMO people are not going to spend $30K on a Hyundai. Even if the car is a steal new (which it seems it is), most of the buying public is still going to view it as a Korean knock-off. They sort of tried this before with the XG350 and they did not exactly move a lot of them.

• Administrators
I think Datsun should stick to doing what they do best and make cheap economy cars. On paper the Z looks good and even in person it's not so bad. Here is what's wrong with the car, it's a Datsun. IMO people are not going to spend $3K on a Datsun. Even if the car is a steal new (which it seems it is), most of the buying public is still going to view it as a Japanese knock-off.

I had a little fun with your quote... hope you don't mind. Your thought pattern fit Datsun nearly 40 years ago.

i dont care what anybody says my wife has been driving Hyundai's sense see bought a 92 w/8000(they were powered by a 4g64 mitsubishi engine) miles for 3000$ and that thing lasted until 2004 w/254000+ miles on it and we only put about 1000$ in maintenacnce to it and now she drives a 2005 (Bought new w 5/miles on it for under 10,000$) and I'd put this up against any other car out their at the time.

and i'm really considering getting one of these after we pay her car off(less than a year)

instead of a 350Z.

• Administrators

I may go back for a test drive in this thing... Donna's BMW is getting a little long in the tooth, and we could turn it into "Mike's DD". If I can get her to seriously consider this car, we may well end up with one in the garage, for a more "extensive" long term review...

Still can't get over how nice this thing looks ...

Mike

I have to agree. The Koreans have definitely stepped up their game in the automotive industry and kept plugging along, undeterred during their not so glamorous, not so well received start up here in the states. Kudos to Hyundai.

Back to your BMW....

I know that you have an affinity for the LSx power-plant. I also know you appreciate German automobiles. To me any how, a BMW getting long in the tooth is really another way of saying it is getting ready for its second lease on life with an LSx under hood. :wink:

I'm really excited for this car. I've read a lot of people talking about how its Hyundai and that should be reason enough not to get it. IMHO I think its a pretty impressive car, and should be a good value for the money from what I've seen.

But regardless of what it will actually bring, I am even more excited for the pressure it's putting on the other auto makers to revamp their cheap sports coupe cars. I've already been hearing hush-hush talk from some friends at the local Nissan about possibly the new S16 coming out in the next couple years. I think that's where the genesis' value really is. Pushing others to come up with a response.

I had a little fun with your quote... hope you don't mind. Your thought pattern fit Datsun nearly 40 years ago.

No I don't mind at all. In fact I agree it probably would have been something I would have said about Datsun 40 years ago. It never occurred to me when I was writing about Hyundai that I was forgetting automotive history.

I kept tellin ya Mike! Im waiting for the R spec to hit later this year and might pick one up. I really think people that have the Cheap/Econo car outlook on Hyundai. Should really go drive a Hyundai, The company has come leaps and bounds in terms of quality. Look at the JD power reports or any quality reports, Hyundai has been #3 behind Lexus and Porsche.

Once the "hybdridZ" in my shop is done, my motor transplant projects are over with (with the possible exception of a ZX12R in my ZRX1100). I'll sit on the LS6 motor I have to replace the 383 stroker with when it dies, but I have ZERO desire to dive into another motorswap platform. This is a younger man's game and my time is better served with my company and my family. But hey, they're cheap Paul, have at it! :2thumbs:

Mike

Back to your BMW....

I know that you have an affinity for the LSx power-plant. I also know you appreciate German automobiles. To me any how, a BMW getting long in the tooth is really another way of saying it is getting ready for its second lease on life with an LSx under hood. :wink:

I know, I know... But hey at least I finally went and LOOKED at one! :lmao:

I gotta get you and Jeff back down here for some R&R... AND you still owe me a cookout! :2thumbs:

And a motorcycle get together...

And...

I'll think of something...

Mike :wink:

I kept tellin ya Mike! Im waiting for the R spec to hit later this year and might pick one up. I really think people that have the Cheap/Econo car outlook on Hyundai. Should really go drive a Hyundai, The company has come leaps and bounds in terms of quality. Look at the JD power reports or any quality reports, Hyundai has been #3 behind Lexus and Porsche.

Back to your BMW....

I hear that! I like my BMW 540i 6-speed car with all the upgrades, but I've often thought that if the engine died or blew, I'd like to go the LS6 route.....which would give me M5 power (100-150 HP more than the 300 I have now) and better mileage. :) Hmmm! Would sound good, too!

If they offer the 2.0T with the Track performance parts, but without the extra 3 grand in luxury items, that could become a very good performance bargain.

Will be interesting to see how the transmission and rear end take serious power. Doubt that many enthusiasts will keep much stock on the turbo cars.