HybridZ

jacking up a 280zx

madkaw

What is the best method you guys have found to jack up this car. With the front crossmember so far under there I am trying to figure out the best type jack to buy. My frame rails are already beat up from jacking the car( I assume). The rear of the car is almost worse. Can you use the radiator support to lift the car, it looks much beffier then a hs30.

i jacked mine up by the front bumper before, it wasnt fun, but it worked for what i was doing... also same thing for the rear just used the diff. (haven't tried the rear bumper yet lol)

you can use the frame rails just get a 2x4 or something strong and wide that wont crack...

i have tried the pinch welds before... lets just say ill never try that again... :icon55:

Those "frame rails" don't take any weight from what I've heard on here.

For the front I just use the front x-member, and position the jack stands where the control arms meet the subframe.

For the rear I place the jack under the where the subframe bolts up to the unibody. There' a perfect little cup shape that the jack fits in. If I'm putting it on stands than I jack it up by the diff and put the stands under the x-member.

On 280zx, I always use the front crossmember and the rear diff.........unless I have a flat tire on the side of the road.

Since the 50 buck jack that most people buy doesn't fit under the front, I usually drive the car onto two small 2x4 blocks.

If I have to jack on the pinch welds (stock points) I am careful to use a wooden block turned 45 degrees and don't lift it high enough to cause the jack to try to pull which will could cause the dreaded fold over of the jack points.

I worked at the Z shop of miami so long ago that my bay had no lift.

I had to jack up every car and put it on jack stands to work on it.

After that experience, everything now is a cakewalk.

On 280zx, I always use the front crossmember and the rear diff.........unless I have a flat tire on the side of the road.

Since the 50 buck jack that most people buy doesn't fit under the front, I usually drive the car onto two small 2x4 blocks.

If I have to jack on the pinch welds (stock points) I am careful to use a wooden block turned 45 degrees and don't lift it high enough to cause the jack to try to pull which will could cause the dreaded fold over of the jack points.

I worked at the Z shop of miami so long ago that my bay had no lift.

I had to jack up every car and put it on jack stands to work on it.

After that experience, everything now is a cakewalk.

Same here - use the diff for the rear and the susp crossmember for the front. My rails are beat to hell too - don't know why - but that's where I put my jack stands.

I have a 2 1/4 ton craftman jack - it's low enough for my ZX, but for me BMWs I had to use wood "ramps" to drive up on to get the extra inch or two of clearance for the jack :)