HybridZ

Racing Line vs. Ideal Line

johnc

Two videos showing the difference between the racing line and the idea line at WSIR. The red 240Z runs the racing line and the Supra with the in car video is running the ideal fast lap time line. Which one is faster? Doesn't matter. In a race the car that crosses the finish line first is the winner.

The second video also shows what happens when you overdrive your heated up and greasy tires towards the end of a race.

In the first video it looked like the Supra had better corner speed than the smokey red Z, he just needed a push to pass button or to give the Z a love tap or two. Plus, while that circuit looks fun to drive, there are not many obvious passing spots eg for an under and over, but then the Z driver was driving a good defensive line most of the time. Nice driving by both though, guess the Supra would be the heavier of the two?

In the second one, check out the Supra's attitude @ 1.00, 2.10 and 2.40. Drifter :)

That's just dumb. It looks like a pro driver is running in the beginner group at an open track day. He's not even trying hard and looks bored silly - doing things to add some excitement like upshifting in the corners, bobbing his head around, and then towards the end he purposely starts tossing the car around drifting it.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's doesn't appear to any kind of competitive event.

The Supra would be heavier although it would have better brakes and suspension. Horsepower would be about the same. The cars are very equal in lap times so passing is tough. Turn 1 is the traditional passing spot with turn 3 and 5 other places to get it done.

That's just dumb. It looks like a pro driver is running in the beginner group at an open track day. He's not even trying hard and looks bored silly - doing things to add some excitement like upshifting in the corners, bobbing his head around, and then towards the end he purposely starts tossing the car around drifting it.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's doesn't appear to any kind of competitive event.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The pro driver is like a danger to everyone else.....looks like stock Zs vs a HybridZ :flamedevi

That poor ITS Datsun needs a five speed but I bet they don't allow it. You know, as a school student, I bet ITS would be a wonderful place to race where the money isn't flying around with the harsh rules. I'd actually have to add a bunch of stuff to my Z... I know the Z in our CVAR group has a new supposedly 250hp motor and he keeps up with the Porsche's until he has to use 4th... I'm curious if he's allowed to run a 2000 Roadster 5 speed. For our BMW 2002 everyone runs a 320i 5 speed and rear end and I have heard nothing about the rules so I assume its legal or everyone breaks it so you might as well too. The entire 2002 group besides 1 of them actually follows the weight limit. You have to ADD weight to be in the limit, its like 2100 pounds! So we say screw that, we're going to break the weight limit and lose the points but we're going break the rule so much (300-400lbs) that we will profit with the higher placement. Seeing how the BMW's are allowed to interchange heads from 320i's and gearboxes and rear ends I'm curious why the Z's aren't running even a 280z 5 speed and if a P90 head is allowed in case you don't have an E31.

Just my thoughts! And yes, whoever crosses first wins so I guess if you're the slower car then take the line since the line is usually the defensive spot too unless they have enough umph to go outside. The fast line looks to have some gaps in it but if your car is faster then I guess that doesn't matter huh?

Edit:

:D! Get a 280z in the ITS class so you can run a 5 speed, weigh in at 2505lbss for "stock" but you have to run the L-Tronic EFI... :[ Is the weight and EFI set back worth it compared to a 240z which is 2430lbs and 2 Hitachis with a 2.4L motor? Hmmmmmm. Your video has intriqued my intuitive mind, good sir. ITS sounds rather boring though if you can't port, I like everything else.

http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club%20Rules/09%20GCR/ITCS.pdf

That poor ITS Datsun needs a five speed but I bet they don't allow it.

Not allowed per the rules but a 5 speed wouldn't help much at WSIR. 240Zs with a 4:11 gear are traction limited at the fastest part of the track (Turn 8). I've driven a 240Z prepped close to ITS specs with a 5 speed and there's no lap time difference compared to a 4 speed. By the time you would shift up into 5th (redline at 4th gear) you'll be shifting back down again is a few seconds.

280Zs have never been competitive in ITS, although with open ECUs they might do better.

ITS sounds rather boring though if you can't port, I like everything else.

Spoken as someone who's never turned a lap in a race.

Yes indeed. I'm sure its much more fun in the car. I've been stuck on the side lines for the past 2 years waiving flags being jealous and then making light of what the cars are actually doing. From a corner workers prospective after several hours out on the side of the track, it looks real boring. :P Its a given once you get into the car things are like a million times better. I checked out the other class rules that are more open and you can just tell that if you were on a tight budget you'd be spanked.

Mark Donohue's first rule of thumb:

Race what you can afford to win! :D

Also, if I were able to run a 5 speed I'd make the 5th gear overdrive usable by running an even smaller final drive like a 4.38. Atleast in Grand Prix Legends thats what I do, but thats a game. :/ Then again if you did that you can say goodbye to 1st and 2nd, and 1-2-3 are your acceleration gears so thats probably stinky idea anyways.

And yes, I use to race carts and those restrictions sucked. :[ Trying to fund the big boy toys now.