HybridZ

Fill new frame rails with foam?!

Just curious if anyone has any experience or seen the use of some medium expansion high density foam inside the frame rails?

I'm about to weld on my bad dog frame rails and I'm considering drilling small holes and filling it with foam. Strength and seal the inside's from moisture?

There are several different types of structural foam. You really need to make sure of the one your using. Ford has one they use in the replacement of the side aperture of the Expeditions and in some rails. Had a friend fill the rails and rockers on an old Hemi Cuda drag car. It really stiffened up things but the down side is , if you ever have to remove or repair it you will wind up throwing the car away. It has the density of a 6 to 8 bag mix of concrete when hardened.The good stuff is also expensive. Last time I looked at it a caulking tube size cartridge was around $75.00. The Cuda used more than 20 tubes.

This is probably not a good option for where your at with your car. Just clean the floor areas to bare metal , Use weld thru primer on the weld areas, install the rails and then spray an epoxy inside the new rails to seal and you should do well. Once this work is done the foam is a 5 minute install if you still want to go that way.

Thin stock sheet metal might benefit from the reinforcement. But again, with the Bad Dog rails (twice as thick = 8x as stiff in bending), I don't think the incremental benefit would be noticeable. They're not anything like as bendable/deformable as stock!

Just curious if anyone has any experience or seen the use of some medium expansion high density foam inside the frame rails?

I'm about to weld on my bad dog frame rails and I'm considering drilling small holes and filling it with foam. Strength and seal the inside's from moisture?

I did this to a race car we used years ago. It's a good option but you need to know two things. If you ever plan to weld on the car in the foamed areas you pretty much can't. And you better make damned sure you don't have any hidden rust, as repairs are very hard once foamed. In the end rust was in my car and this more or less sealed its fate. But before that became and issue the foam did make a noticeable difference.

Cary

There was an article in the Feb. '09 issue of Sport Compact Car.

http://www.modified.com/tech/sccp_0902_tein_suspension_upgrades_project_s13_tech/index.html

They also had an article on it for their 300ZX project car in 1999. I still have this issue around somewhere, haha.

http://www.modified.com/projectcars/0006scc_project_nissan_300zx_part_5/index.html