HybridZ

Am I the only one that hates NASCAR, but...

David K

...love NASCAR at Infineon and Watkins Glen? I would become a huge fan of NASCAR if they ran at least 10 road courses a year, or had a whole separate road racing program with the same drivers that race on the oval tracks. I guess i don't really hate NASCAR, i just hate the poor choices of "tracks" in the program.

Here's to hoping, :cheers:

I liked NASCAR when I was little and Richard Petty was racing, and when they still used a "stock" car as the basis of their race cars instead of building a tube frame thing that just looks like a stock car.

Greg

Have you ever heard the saying about flushing the toilet after taking a turd, and you have an instant NASCAR race?

:lmao:

Cant do much about racing a real stock car nowadays, unless you wanna see FWD Malibus and Camrys running around an oval. I think its so ignorant and hilarious when John P. Idiot chooses to drive a Taurus because they build race cars with them.

But lets whine about the lack of road courses some more :mrgreen:

BTW... One of my 350Z parts customers is the head R&D fabricator for Joe Gibbs racing and they are building some pretty trick stuff within the rule limits. The stuff he builds is 2 to 3 years out from what's on the track today.

I have to mirror what Jon said, Im currently working at Penske Racing as an engineering intern and what they do to get max performance within the rules is pretty dern cool.

Im looking forward to the road course race this weekend as well, they are moving pretty good.

I agree with David. I live in east TN (aka redneck-ville). Everyone here absolutely obsesses about NASCAR. If I had a penny for ever Earnhardt sticker on the back of a beat up Chevy pick up, I would be freakin rich. I just dont understand. The drivers are very talented, but it has to be the lamest driving competition ever. I would probably watch it more if there were more road courses too.

we dont have nascar in oz, about the closest thing to it would be the V8 supercars, almost identical semi tube frame cars built to the saem strict regulations.

they do proper race tracks though, not just oval courses.

But my understanding of nascar was that its not about the driver anymore, its about the team as a whole. If one part of the team isnt up to scratch, it lets them all down.

I guess that goes for any serious race team though...

I saw a Mexican Nascar race online. Apparently they have it too! Whats funny is that they show the drivers name with their countries flag, and its all Mexico's flag. Its like... duh...

I crack up when they go to road courses because they all scramble trying to make both left and right hand turns. Don't Nascar rules call for a 3000lb weight requirement too or am I just dreaming?

I liked NASCAR when I was little and Richard Petty was racing, and when they still used a "stock" car as the basis of their race cars instead of building a tube frame thing that just looks like a stock car.

Greg

X2 if they want you to buy a product of theirs then the "stock" car should at least resemble what they are selling!

Greg

Funny you shoould say that, That's how I feel about Indy cars and FI. Of course I'm ancient, and still love the Curtis and Watson roadsters. I know all that stuff about how much better the technology is and how much faster the cars are now, but the carbon fiber things they are racing now don't resemble anything. Not only that but they'll never make a Honda or Toyota engine that sings like an Offy.

BTW, I'm not a big NASCAR fan, and wish that they'd run more road courses too.

I'm a pretty big NASCAR fan. I agree though, it was more fun when the cars where more different. It seems like any more, a car gets out front and sits there...no one can catch it (aero?). I guess you could call that "buildt in nap time". I also love the road courses and wish there where more of them, but the ovals are challenging in there own right. I cant imagine driving into a corner at 180+ and trying to set the car down between two other cars and knowing if you blip the throttle wrong the back end will break loose and wreck everyone. Definitely takes more skill then I (or my turds) have.

I just went to a NASCAR truck race yesterday in Milwaukee. It was a 200 mile race, and was getting a bit boring, until they had to do a restart, or when they were pitting that was interesting.

At one time a plastic bag was floating hundreds of feet up in the air, I was looking around, and you wouldn't believe how many peoples attention was focused on the bag, not the race LOL.. Funny thing is, the bag ended up flying right at our seats and my brother in law caught the bag. LOL

I was more interested in seeing what parts the cars had on them and stuff. I actually have the same rear Brembo brake caliper that they use on the nextel cup cars. I need a few more though.

I'd be the biggest fan of nascar, but the fans get in the way...

We went to the Richmond race this year, because my business partner had never attended one and asked me to go with them... It was 10 hours of my life I'll never get back...

I like watching the big track races ('Dega and Daytona) and the road course events. But Nascar will never add roadcourse races to the schedule... the typical Nascar fan is attracted to NASCAR races because of the ease of viewing of the whole course at most ovals.

For Nascar, it's as much about marketing the drivers, selling the "Offical" nascar crap to the witless fans, and building those fan bases for the personalities on track, as it is the racing itself. Reality is most NASCAR drivers aren't roadcourse fans, although a few admit they enjoy it. We're lucky to have the two events annually that they have agreed to run. There have been numerous discussions about dropping those two events and moving those two events to other ovels.

I expect that someday one of the bigger multi-track owners will win out with more cash to steal those dates away from Sonoma and Watkins Glen.

Mike

Nextel Cup cars are ~3,500 lbs on 10" wide tires. Its amazing they get around a road course as fast as they do. Take my 350Z, add 300 lbs., add 500 hp, run it on 275 width tires and try to go fast while keeping those tires from melting off the rims.