HybridZ

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

hood works now. side panels are cut off and will get mounted to the frame. Engine bay is starting to look really cool. Also, rear body under the bumper is cut out for the eventual diffuser. i'm going to try and shape a mold for that with foam this week.

Car weighs 1700lbs right now. We lost the specific component weights in the move (Andris moved into a new building). We hope to find it as we unpack.

I'm taking the car to a Nismo show in San Antonio this sunday. Should get lots of nice pics.

7074085405_dca60da594_b.jpg

6928005440_056db80c9b_b.jpg

6928005886_9004f515bb_b.jpg

Edited by markrolston@mac.com

1700lbs?! Jesus, that's light. Looks like you still have the stock doors, any plans of replacing those with composite pieces? Any idea how much the car will weigh when it's done?

steel doors are safe. I want the car to be light, but safe enough to get hit in or roll. I expect there is another 400+ lbs to add: Turbos, IC, radiator, seats, dash, paint, fluids, electronics, glass, trim, etc. Still, est about ~2200lbs it's still going to be crazy light at ~700hp.

mark

• 4 weeks later...

Looking really nice, I don't imagine you'll be redoing that hood mould now that you've got the dam smoothed out. Just clean it up and paint over right?

I see you've still got tons of work, but what you've got so far is seriously impressive. How're you doing on your timeline? Got the end in sight?

Phar

Looking really nice, I don't imagine you'll be redoing that hood mould now that you've got the dam smoothed out. Just clean it up and paint over right?

I see you've still got tons of work, but what you've got so far is seriously impressive. How're you doing on your timeline? Got the end in sight?

Phar

To get a new mold I'd have to fix the transition in my silver z and re cast that. Maybe one day but not now. If I were to cast the new car it would be a cast of a cast and would likely lose key line quality. Like a second gen zerox. You introduce noise and degradation.

As for progress, we are working on the engine bay and will have most major elements in place by end of June. Brakes, intercooler, radiator, turbo plumbing, custom intake, and dry sump system all in the plan. After that it's diffuser design and fabrication, fuel lines, battery, diff and axle install, and wheel well fabrication. All that is hopeful by end of August. For the fall it's interior work, wiring, and other remaining stuff. Then off to paint by November or so. I want to get it on the track by spring 13'.

Pics coming soon.

we are working this week on the intake and turbo manifold as well as positioning for the intercooler and radiator. here are some pics of the mockup work. You can see a mockup radiator in place. The intercooler would sit above it angled forward.

The Turbos are a Borg Warner 7064. At least that's what we think will work best. There is little data out there on these new turbos. Right now we're doing the fit work with a loaner. They fit neatly into the V-space to the sides of the motor. We will clock the turbine outlet to point upwards just in-between the frame tubes. It will then do a 90 turn and go straight into the intercooler. Should look nice. The turbos are very nicely designed. The WG, BOV, and boost control are all built into the unit.

As you can see, we are just starting on the intake. The pipes you see will be cut down and terminate into a plenum on each side. One of the issues is visual symmetry. Since the banks on each side are offset, we're going to have the runners angle just a tiny bit so that they terminate within 1/2" on each side. The rest we can make up in the plenum. We're going to dramatically cut down the cam-covers since they are covered with all kinds of mounting tabs that we don't need. We'll end up remaking them as CF parts.

7216692514_fbdc387d90_b.jpg

7216692140_8d8983320a_b.jpg

7216691746_1306804652_b.jpg

7216691370_148166f696_b.jpg

7216690588_9c105f3110_b.jpg

7216689830_0c00981061_b.jpg

I never understood the idea behind putting the radiator/intercooler slanting backwards at the top like that. Where is the air that comes out of it going to go? It'd seem better to me to perhaps have both of them slanting forwards but offset longitudinally (so the radiator is further forwards) and have ducting that splits the air coming into the front of the car between the two of them and then exhausts both of them out the bonnet. Just curious what you have planned.

Dave

I never understood the idea behind putting the radiator/intercooler slanting backwards at the top like that. Where is the air that comes out of it going to go? It'd seem better to me to perhaps have both of them slanting forwards but offset longitudinally (so the radiator is further forwards) and have ducting that splits the air coming into the front of the car between the two of them and then exhausts both of them out the bonnet. Just curious what you have planned.

Dave

There will be separate CF shroud from the nose to each of the coolers, the radiator fed from the area below the bumper and the IC fed from above the bumper. The air will be forced into the coolers. The exiting radiator air is dumped under the car, the IC exiting air exits out of the hood vents. Pretty simple. The reason they are tilted is to direct the air towards their exits and the pinch where they meet is a practical way of having the shrouding surface shared between the two cooling shrouds.

What you suggest is possible but I have less capacity for that much air to exit from the hood. Some of it needs to exit under the car.

Mark,

That makes sense. I was just thinking, you obviously have the skills and ability to make whatever you want happen, so it'd be a question of weighing the extra work to have that air exit either out the bonnet or out the front guards or elsewhere, versus the aerodynamic inefficiency in having a high pressure zone under the front of the car. Either way, I can't wait to see it :)

Dave

Yay! Engine work time! I'm really looking forward to seeing how you set that up. it's already looking really cool. The intake tubes really remind me of the GTR intake. I don't know if Greddy or GTM have completed their versions for the 350/370z. If they have, then you may not have to reinvent them. The GTR intake is already designed for FI use. I know you're concerned with the manifold height, but on my HR project, I'm able to fit the stock plenum under my hood.

Your dry sump pan looks amazing! I really like how they did it. I admit I don't know that much about dry sumps, but aren't you afraid of the volume difference, or the idea that the sump will pick up a lot of bubbles being that close to the crank? I don't know how much oil volume your engine will hold with that pan. I have seen aftermarket pans for the 350Z's that have wider reserviors to hold additional oil, and thus can keep the oil circulating better and cooler based on volume. though I haven't seen one it for the HR engines. Here's a couple picts of the GTR intake, perhaps that will help you with your angles.

post-4150-072768300 1338397860_thumb.jpg

post-4150-019409000 1338397884_thumb.jpg

Yay! Engine work time! I'm really looking forward to seeing how you set that up. it's already looking really cool. The intake tubes really remind me of the GTR intake. I don't know if Greddy or GTM have completed their versions for the 350/370z. If they have, then you may not have to reinvent them. The GTR intake is already designed for FI use. I know you're concerned with the manifold height, but on my HR project, I'm able to fit the stock plenum under my hood.

Your dry sump pan looks amazing! I really like how they did it. I admit I don't know that much about dry sumps, but aren't you afraid of the volume difference, or the idea that the sump will pick up a lot of bubbles being that close to the crank? I don't know how much oil volume your engine will hold with that pan. I have seen aftermarket pans for the 350Z's that have wider reserviors to hold additional oil, and thus can keep the oil circulating better and cooler based on volume. though I haven't seen one it for the HR engines. Here's a couple picts of the GTR intake, perhaps that will help you with your angles.

Dry sumps are amazing. You should read up on the tech- it's very cool. Basically, oil is stored outside the motor in an external tank, making the sump volume basically whatever I want.

There's a good writeup on the original VQ35DE setup: https://www.fontananissanracing.com/Dry_Sump_Oil_Pan___Pump.html

Also, check it out, the sump pump arrived.

7303271980_70e2ca3e23_b.jpg