HybridZ

Anyone else have Twin Turbo shuffle?

hey Joel, are you talking about like air leaking out of the compressor housing?

I'm talking about remove the air filters, put hand close to compressor wheel (intake), and feel hot air blowing out of the compressor housing where the air filter goes.

It alternates back and forth between both turbos while at idle, making a hissing noise. I don't know what it's doing while driving it though....

hmm that's a new one on me man.. almost like the turbo's are trading off or something. I dont really have any exp with a twin turbo setup so I really don't know. Weren't you going to go with a single setup soon anyways?

I have a single T4 manifold, and have been thinking about it... just got to pick up a turbo I guess.

I just wonder if putting a merge pipe between the two manifolds would stop that from happening.

that is weird? Its blowing air out the intake of the turbo? I wonder if when spinning slow enough that's normal. And maybe on a TT setup the pressure varies from one to another allowing one turbo to slow down, then the other slows down, and it goes back and forth. Hell I don't know?

Joel - I'm guessing you've seen this, but if not have a look at gtr.co.uk, tons of threads on shuffle (aka compressor surge). Some believe the balance pipe eliminates the issue (HKS makes a stupid expensive manifold), others suggest that it can be tuned out.

that is weird? Its blowing air out the intake of the turbo? I wonder if when spinning slow enough that's normal. And maybe on a TT setup the pressure varies from one to another allowing one turbo to slow down, then the other slows down, and it goes back and forth. Hell I don't know?

I was thinking the same thing - I guess technically this would be compressor surge, but it's happening at such low pressures and turbine speeds that I doubt it would be of any concern.

If you start seeing this behavior when under boost that would be a different matter, but I would imagine that you would notice that.

• 1 month later...

This thread is getting a little old now but I just read it. I have seen that on a RB26, turned out to be the rear turbine broke right off. With the rear compressor not turning the air would back up from the front turbo and blow out the air filter. Does your car otherwise run ok? I hope thats not a similar issue? I doubt it as you say it alternates...

I think its just that at idle, your motors not pulling a vaccum 100% of the time possibly due to cam timing allowing air pressure back thru the intake in pulses. I dont see how it can alternate when both turbos are plumbed into a single line thru the I/C and into the intake manifold.Air traveling in reverse direction should divide somewhat equally into each turbo.

• 2 weeks later...
I doubt it matters at idle. When idling, you can stick your finger into the compressor and stop the CHRA altogether. Assuming you don't have the wimpy TTT's (teeny tiny turbos). :wink:

I'm not sure that I feel comfortable shoving my mitts into something that amounts to a super cool blender on a bender. I like not having nubs thank you.