HybridZ

Ford Falcon gets 2.0 Turbo 4 banger.

kiwi303

We're still with the ol' Duratec I4, which IMO is a great engine. Mazda's MZR (Same Engine) get's tons of go for the MazdaSpeed3 and IMO is a way better design that the SR20. I know I'm going to get hammered for this, but I really don't think the SR is that great of an engine, it's got a compromised valve train, a poorly flowing head for a big 16V motor (save for the Neo VVL engines) and really does nothing "special" that a comparable motor doesn't do. The Duratec's only shortcoming is the partially-counterbalanced crank that can be fixed by getting the forged unit out of the MazdaSpeed MX-5 or MS3 for the 2.3L. The Head flows tons better and has the direct acting camshaft which has a whole lot less stress points to break. Though if I had to pick any european Ford 4 my pick has to go to the Ford YB Cosworth out of the sierra cossie's.

I'm with mag58 on that one actually. The SR deserves respect for what it is, but many fail to realize that so many other engines are just as worthwhile.

We here in the US get raped by the auto companies in many ways. I know a lot of people around the world envy us here in america, but there's so many great cars and engines that have yet to make it to our shores.

I'm just glad lotus is finally strong in the USA. Might actually be able to own one someday now.

Maybe the better question is how will the turbo 4 stack up against the present NA 6 which many present Falcon owners are familiar with. Fours replacing sixes do not have a good success history so Ford are going to have to work hard on this one.

I agree that we don't get alot of the good newer motors out there over here in the states.

Think of how much more respect Ford could get if some RWD cars came with a 4.0 Litre turbo. The OP reminded me of this:

[This one is modified but I could see it being a 2JZ killer :)]

How popular are the G6E Turbos down under?

As much as those new Camaro's weigh, I'm quite positive a well worked power chair could beat it...

Now you got the image locked in my head of Tim Taylor with white hair in a retirement home... What would HE work a granny transporter like? :P

Back to the topic at hand though, I think that the EcoBoost motor has a chance, but as always, if the aftermarket doesn't support it will die in the water. As far as great 4cyl's are concerned, there are very few motors I would consider "Great". The Duratec and 4AGE because of formula atlantic work (though the 4A is a little down on displacement), the 3S-GTE due to it's rally and road race history, the BMW S14 and the Cosworth 4 cylinders. I really don't think the Mitsu 4G would really even compare (flame suit on) because in my experience, they'll put out pretty numbers yes, but I like motors with powerbands that don't like something like ... _____/ But that's just me.

I think the ecoboost may have a chance, but it will probably fall the same way as the Ecotec. They could both be great motors (the Ecotec probably has the chance to be legendary) but are going to be plagued with the cost savings that is the American car company and see partially counterbalanced, cast cranks which will put big HP numbers out of the range of alot of people due to the last of a decent forged piece.

I think a bigger problem with american engines creating good aftermarket support is that the american manufactors don't care about continuity much of the time. It's take a LONG LONG time for the Ford modular engines to really start having some good and affordable part options, largely because you can't just make a part and have it function for 100% of the engines, or even 50% for that matter.

One engine plant makes the iron blocks, one the aluminums, but wait there's exceptions to that. And they'll change things mid-year so now that aftermarket part is only good for aluminum block models, from a certain factory, for these select few years, no later than X month.

The 5.0 aftermarket grew wonderfully fast and I think much of that was because the motor could use so many parts from the earlier small blocks, but even the EFI system upgrades moved in relatively fast.

You just can't expect a company to make parts for a car when their parts will only apply to a few production years.

A lot of it is also dependent upon how popular the cars that the engines were put into are, and what kind of owners these cars have. You can't expect the new hyundai V8 to have a rapid aftermarket growth unless they put the gem of an engine into a sports car with owners that actually WANT to modify their cars. You need the people to show interest before investors are willing to make the parts.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the running production change conspiracy is a little bit of over-egging the pudding there. If there is enough call for stuff, it will be out there. Think of aftermarket support crap for Z32TT's. Their production numbers are pathetic compared to just about any US Spec Vehicle.

But there was DEMAND for more performance from that little sales demographic.

You don't see a lot of hipo parts for a Chevrolet Chevette. MILLIONS out there, a popular car in it's day, but show me the Coil Over Kits. Other than a Narrow-Angle V6 Kit available for a performance engine swap... there's not a lot out there.

Because the demand was not there.

It's more than production numbers, it's DEMAND for the product and the numbers they can generate. And then you get into 'affordable'---most stuff for the modular engines revolved around supercharger kits in the $4000 range.

Speed costs money, how fast you want to go? "Affordable" changes when Ford offers to finance your power upgrade, and to warrant it...

That's a good point tony, and it's been taken. I definitely agree demand is a huge part of it.

Your post also reminds me about how there's more performance mods for 03-04 cobras than there are for all 99-04 GT's it seems. Sure they sold a "decent" amount, but they're still a limited production car.