HybridZ

Cruising rpm

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends. Which rear end do you have? Also you'll probably want to make sure you have the right speedo gear in the tranny for which ever rear end you have. If you do a search for your diff codes on here you'll figure out the ratios and exactly which color trans gear you need. Then you can accurately figure out if you really are that under driven.

As far as I know it is a stock rearend. My speedo is all out of whack though which may lead me to believe it is not stock.

I used a GPS to get the speed I was going.

[edit]

Actually, putting 4.11 into the calculator makes everything close to how it is. 4k around 70mph and 2.3k around 40mph. I don't know why someone would add such a high gearing without changing the transmission though

I don't know why someone would add such a high gearing

Hmmm. Couldn't say why, myself.

Whatcha reckon you gonna do with that rear end? ;) I'll trade you a nice 3.54 for it.. that will set you cruising at 60 mph at about 2800, 2900 or so. That 4.11, that thing isn't worth its weight in horse kidneys. Could you get a shipping quote to 33413? :confused2

The above post is completely off, I don't know if he meant 1604 RPM and typed 1064 by mistake or what. I remember it being a little under 3K. (Its been about six years since I DDd my Z)

I got it out on the interstate again with it again. I got it up to 5k and I was only going 70-75 mph according to the GPS. Highly confusing.

I'm picking the car up from getting wetsanded and buffed tomorrow so hopefully I can figure out what is wrong.

Me and my buddy took his 260z out with the GPS and checked his 4th (he has a 5spd swap) since they are both 1:1 and 60 was 3k, 70 was 3.3k and by 4k we're nearing 90. Same tire size and stock rear end as far as he knows. Basically what that calculator says.

I wish I could figure out what was causing this. Even 4.11 gears doesn't explain the HUGE difference.

Me and my buddy took his 260z out with the GPS and checked his 4th (he has a 5spd swap) since they are both 1:1 and 60 was 3k, 70 was 3.3k and by 4k we're nearing 90. Same tire size and stock rear end as far as he knows. Basically what that calculator says.

I wish I could figure out what was causing this. Even 4.11 gears doesn't explain the HUGE difference.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/drivetrain.htm

According to two different sources linked to from that page, no S30 ever had a differential with a gear ratio higher than 3.545. The 260 Manual cars had 3.364. You have 4.11 you say, and all the transmissions had 1:1 4th gears so that point is correct.

http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/

According to that, a stock 260Z, in fourth, at 60mph with 215/60-14s, (thats probably what you are running, just a hair taller than 205) is 2808. 3300 for 70, and 86 at 4K.

The 4.11, now, according to the calculator, puts you at 70 mph at 4K RPMs, almost exactly. The calculator says 3431 for 60 mph, and 3546 for 62 mph. If I am wrong about my guess with the tires, then the numbers go even more towards what you are experiencing... and if we were both were wrong and you've got 195 or 185s on there, then its even sharper. 205-50s maybe?? That would cross 4K just about 67-68 mph.

ALOT can be done with shorter tires, and a Whole Boatload has already been done by dropping the 4.11 gears in there.

Just pretend its a Civic or a Miata *ducks*flying*brake*rotor*aimed*at*head*