HybridZ

How much miles per gallon does your z give?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotten everywhere from 12mpg to 20mpg. Average since I started recording has been ~16-17. That being said, my engine is nowhere near stock. Wild cam, plenty of carb, but only in front of a four speed.

It isn't helping that recently I've only been doing either city driving, or high speed dashes for a mile or two on the freeways.

• Administrators

Best MPG, freeway-only driving trying to achieve good MPG, filling up at freeway gas stations, measured with freeway mile markers, (I do NOT trust the Datsun ODO to be accurate).

With my mild N/A L28 powered 75 280Z early 280 5 speed, 3.54 diff gears, stock cam and stock EFI, (this set up ran a best of 14.4 secs @97 MPH, 0-60 MPH in 5.7), I saw a best of 30 MPG freeway only driving with the dual 1 3/4" exhaust, dropped to a best of 28 MPG freeway when I went to dual 2" exhaust. Performance did not change going to the larger exhaust, just louder!

The SBC 350 V-8 in the same car, holley 650 double pumper, World Class T-5 5 speed trans, 3.90 diff gears, (this set up ran 12.3 @ 113 MPH, 0-60 in 4.2 secs), 20 MPG, (measured on the way to the drg strip!)

The last tank of gas, with mixed driving (city and highway), with some spirited driving, I was able to get about 20 MPG according to the odometer in the dash, which I haven't checked the accuracy of. I know the speedometer is out, but that could be just simply because I might have replaced the needle the wrong position.

Engine: L28, turbocharged (6.5L diesel turbo), GM EFI (Delco), 3" exhaust.

Tranny: 5-speed

5 speed stock L28, my 1978 280z, On the highway it got 21mpg and in the city ive been getting 25mpg, thats with Plus 89 Octane fuel and with a fixed fuel to air ratio and not having half of the emissions hooked up.

You got better mileage in the city than on the highway?

It seems to me that most of the people with quotes below 20ish MPG are talking about 4 speed vehicles. The overdrive gear is a HUGE gas saver. The "15-28" range seems a little unreasonable to me; too much of a blanket statement. With a five speed and a reasonable rear end ratio, 20-30MPG is what I would expect out of a stock or near-stock S30 or S130. I would give the phrase "near stock" a very broad range of applicability, and you have to anticipate excursions down towards 15-10 when you are talking about 4-speed, or mega power machines... but something about this phrase:

Looks like most peoples Z are in the range of 15-28. isnt as bad as i thought it would be. Extra gears really makes it better.

just struck me as overly broad. Just don't forget how significantly the extra gears help :)

Before I rebuilt my motor I was at 18-19 mpg. I rebuilt it not to long ago and it went up to 21-22 mpg. I will be trying some other things to get better mpg. The engine is stock with a cold air intake, tuned header, mild cam, 2 1/2" exhaust, and stock comp in a 76 2+2. I am heavier than some of you. I will end up with MS to get fuel ratio better. I know that some mpg is right there.

jimbo