HybridZ

watanabe r type?? are they worth it??

i think everyone dreams of these wheels because of the size and offset they offer..but is it worth it..for me i think it would be..but i just want your 2 cents lol...

i can get a set of 16x9-13 (f) 16x9.5 -19® for about 2300...gunmetal/silver with polish lip...without tires of course lol..tires will be another 400 bucks for a set of falken fk-452 225/45/16..so total would be about 2700...:(WOW..let me know what you think thanks..

also another quick question for those of you that have them and run this set up...would it fit under stock suspension with flares and msa camber kits..?

would i have to run coilovers?

Haha...I kinda agree.

They are not the smartest choice of wheel by far for 'performance'. But for me as a owner of a set of Wat's I just love the look and I personally don't think there is a better wheel for the car..style wise.

However In the future I will probably be replacing my Wats with something I can actually buy a decent set of tires for... 17's.

hey 240z hoke ive seen ur set up..very nice.....ur rims are the exact set up i want...if you are going to be replacing your watts in the future i would love to buy them off you xd.....that is if u want to sell them...

also how much did u orignialy purchase them for?

hey 240z hoke ive seen ur set up..very nice.....ur rims are the exact set up i want...if you are going to be replacing your watts in the future i would love to buy them off you xd.....that is if u want to sell them...

also how much did u orignialy purchase them for?

:shock:

Guest thatzguy

Watts are overrated and way overpriced imho... plus have fun as 240hoke says with getting wide 16" tires in time as they are getting more scarce to come by a decent brand. Companies are moving on with the bigger diameter wide tires.

For that price, why don't you get some really nice wheels for a lil less, custom made 3 piece wheels... I think they're around $2,200 and can be made in the diameter, width and backspace/offset you desire.

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/home.php

yes... wats have always been my dream and i finally got them not too long ago... absolutely love them. and would not trade them for anything else. Yes they're pricey, and i agree with mr. hoke, performance not as great. I like them because they are era specific and they have that look that i want.

check sig

Being a very speculative question, I'd say it depends on what "type" of S30 you're trying to build. As close to original "JDM" spec (for lack of better expression), or something more performance based, or something cost based. I like whats, they can really make the car look good. However, it seems like everyone is getting them nowadays. Cost wise FOR ME, it wasn't worth it. I spent half on my wheels (including having them powdercoated) and they're 17x9.5 and a 5" backspacing. Benefits of this is, I have a wider selection of tires available. Downside is well I don't have a JDM or "period correct" looking Z. Then again the price difference made me okay with that :D

Datsun001.jpg

I want Watanabe wheels also, mainly due to the period look so I know where you're coming from even if they do cost an arm and a leg. My next step is to decide what finish will go best with my paintwork; gunmetal, silver or black and what width rim and offset to go for.

Shika - where did you get yours from and do you have photos of them on the car?

i think everyone dreams of these wheels because of the size and offset they offer..but is it worth it..for me i think it would be..but i just want your 2 cents lol...

Been there done that, then I bit the bullet.

i can get a set of 16x9-13 (f) 16x9.5 -19® for about 2300...gunmetal/silver with polish lip...without tires of course lol..tires will be another 400 bucks for a set of falken fk-452 225/45/16..so total would be about 2700...:(WOW..let me know what you think thanks..

Also been there done that. The price is about the same.

also another quick question for those of you that have them and run this set up...would it fit under stock suspension with flares and msa camber kits..?

Flares on stock suspension with camber kits...NO it will hit the lower spring perch.

would i have to run coilovers?

For that size yes.

I run 16x8.5 -6 all around with 225/50/16 w/ sectioned struts, GC springs and Tokico Illumina's, camber plates and NO flares. Any bigger you will need flares.

Good luck,

Watts are overrated and way overpriced imho...

Let me say that this is your opinion and I respect that.

I am curious “overrated†how have you come to that conclusion? For those in the Japanese community and others like myself (in the States) that respect them for what they have done as a company and the history they have carved in stone among the racing community and the weekend tuner it speaks huge volumes with there styling and looks. Overpriced I don’t think that is a fair statement, general but not fair. We should then throw in every other wheel manufacturer foreign and domestic in the same boat. They are out of reach for some buyer’s yes, so others resort to the less expensive “knock-off†versions which is fine and their right.

plus have fun as 240hoke says with getting wide 16" tires in time as they are getting more scarce to come by a decent brand. Companies are moving on with the bigger diameter wide tires.

Unless you are looking for a tire size over a 265 then sure it will be limited. If you run a 225/xx, 245/xx, in a 16†you can find them all day long. In my opinion 13,14,15 are hard to find in some cases.

For that price, why don't you get some really nice wheels for a lil less, custom made 3 piece wheels... I think they're around $2,200 and can be made in the diameter, width and backspace/offset you desire.

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/home.php

You may or may not have noticed there are more and more people purchasing CCW's over RS Watanabe's. Don't get me wrong they are a very nice wheel and comparable in price to RS Watanabe's. I guess it all boils down to your budget and what style you are looking for. Period correct or not some people want to copy others and some want to have there own style and look. Just my two cents.

I want Watanabe wheels also, mainly due to the period look so I know where you're coming from even if they do cost an arm and a leg. My next step is to decide what finish will go best with my paintwork; gunmetal, silver or black and what width rim and offset to go for.

George,

Just do it man come join the club, get the lugs, locks and center caps too.

BTW I will email you back tonight.

Shika - where did you get yours from and do you have photos of them on the car?

they are currently not on my car, working on suspension right now... my car is a gunmetal color with some black flares... i will post later tonight my car and wheels

Guest thatzguy
Let me say that this is your opinion and I respect that.

And that's exactly what he's asking for... opinions, in which I did say imho (in my honest opinion).

I am curious “overrated†how have you come to that conclusion? For those in the Japanese community and others like myself (in the States) that respect them for what they have done as a company and the history they have carved in stone among the racing community and the weekend tuner it speaks huge volumes with there styling and looks. Overpriced I don’t think that is a fair statement, general but not fair. We should then throw in every other wheel manufacturer foreign and domestic in the same boat. They are out of reach for some buyer’s yes, so others resort to the less expensive “knock-off†versions which is fine and their right.

Overrated as in the demand of which they have been caused by all this "jdm craze" has got the prices on these things through the roof. And yes, you're correct, a lot of other wheel manufacturers are in the same boat because of this.

But hey, I'm not knocking their quality or look, yes they look period correct and aren't a bad wheel. Just think that if you're in just for the "look" of it, then go buy some Rota RB-Rs (Watt replicas) in 17x9/17x9.5 form for $750 or so!

I'm just comparing an exceedingly better wheel in ccw, that gives more options (to custom spec of your choice) to fit however you need them to and that's cheaper/comparable base price to Watts and they also look great on Zs.

Unless you are looking for a tire size over a 265 then sure it will be limited. If you run a 225/xx, 245/xx, in a 16†you can find them all day long. In my opinion 13,14,15 are hard to find in some cases.

And for the wheel sizes he was specifying, yes, he'd have fun being limited to and pricey with "correct" tires sizes. In which I'd be recommending a 245 on the 9" and a 275 on the 9.5", unless of course he wants the run the "stretched/hella cambered" look which "jdm" too.

I was recommending the 17" wheels, because the tire selection is greater and in due terms, they allow more affordable options as well.

You may or may not have noticed there are more and more people purchasing CCW's over RS Watanabe's. Don't get me wrong they are a very nice wheel and comparable in price to RS Watanabe's. I guess it all boils down to your budget and what style you are looking for. Period correct or not some people want to copy others and some want to have there own style and look. Just my two cents.

And yes, maybe the CCW world is growing because they are readily available here in the USA in the "made to order" fashion and can fit customers needs exactly to what they need all with in a week or 2, as well as if they ever get damaged, you don't have to try and find the impossible "1 rare Watt wheel in your exact size" or wait months for another 1 to be shipped overseas. Plus, the added benefits of being able to change centers (if so desired for another look), change wheel widths in the future if needed is a huge benefit in my book.

While on the other hand most Watt dealers you're waiting X amount of months after forking out a couple grand for them to import them in if they don't have them in stock. Then as I mentioned, most are in 16" format and come with limited tire selection with hiked up prices in the widths he would be needing.

I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons here, not bashing the wheel choice.

Overrated as in the demand of which they have been caused by all this "jdm craze" has got the prices on these things through the roof. And yes, you're correct, a lot of other wheel manufacturers are in the same boat because of this.

But hey, I'm not knocking their quality or look, yes they look period correct and aren't a bad wheel. Just think that if you're in just for the "look" of it, then go buy some Rota RB-Rs (Watt replicas) in 17x9/17x9.5 form for $750 or so!

I'm just comparing an exceedingly better wheel in ccw, that gives more options (to custom spec of your choice) to fit however you need them to and that's cheaper/comparable base price to Watts and they also look great on Zs.

I spent 5 years in Japan back in the early 90's and I could pick up a set of used wild offset JDM wheels for a few hundred bucks. It was funny to see it grow in the states starting on the west coast and migrating east. Fast forward into the 2000's when the hype of the JDM craze was going strong, in 2004 I paid $2300 shipped for my 16x8.5 -6 with center caps, lugs and locks. Yeah it's a lot of money but living in Japan I wanted nothing else. Now if you look on RS-Watanabe's Japan webpage they have gone up around $80 each new from $500 to $580 (for 16"). Add the costs of finding someone reputable to order them from Japan, shipping and it is a pretty penny. However, to each is own.

I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons here, not bashing the wheel choice.

I completely agree, pros and cons from different points of view. Good info. :2thumbs: