HybridZ

Building the "Ultimate" L6 Turbo Exhaust

Drax240z

Very nice sound Phlebmaster. There's nothing like the sound of healthy NA straight 6.

I'll add that I just had a 3" exhaust installed on my new turbo motor. Initially it was a straight pipe all the way back (stock exhaust manifold with T3/T4 and Schneider stage II cam), but it was so loud there was no way I could drive around my neighborhood without problems. We added a glass pack where the muffler would be as a temporary measure and it's actually pretty reasonable. But it doesn't sound anything like my old NA engine did :(

Of course, it rips through the gears so much faster now that it's not too much of a sacrifice :)

Also agree, the turbo will reduce the initial pressure wave of each pulse as it hits the blades, quieting it as well as making each pulse less distinct. A turbo car should sound a bit quieter and more mild, given the exact same motor and exact same exhaust apart from the terbeaux.

I believe in order to achieve the sound I want, I am going to need to run dual functional tail pipes. I think running a different length to each side will create the harmonized sound I am looking for.

In my mind the system plays out like this:

• 2.5" mandrel bent downpipe off of the turbo
  • Custom SS "Y" from 2.5" to dual 2.25"
  • Dual 2.25" each into a 12" long resonator box in the tranny tunnel
    • One 2.25" pipe exits at the outside face of the box
    • One 2.25" pipe exits 8" into the box, making this path a different length than the other

[*]2.25" pipe runs to the back of the car, one exit on each side, each through a muffler.

[*]Dual tip exits from each muffler.

• My rationale is that the staggered exit from the resonator box will allow the same pulse to split and reach the tailpipes at different times, therefore smoothing out the exhaust note to a degree.

• By running 2 larger mufflers (than the current 1 smallish muffler) I should be able to control the volume a bit better.

• The dual tips are more for show, but if I can stagger the paths between the muffler and each of it's tips, more smoothness should ensue.

• Dual 2.25" is effectively larger than the 3" single I have now, and probably easier to package under the car as well.

I might be way off base with these assumptions, but I welcome any input those with experience on exhaust tuning or exhaust design may be willing to share.

This is almost exactly what I had in mind when I wrote up the little graph on pipe sizing that is now a sticky in this subforum. I am SO glad to see this, and wish I had caught the thread earlier. I haven't even read beyond your first two posts yet, but am excited :D

• 2 weeks later...
Here is my N/A L26 with 6-2-1 header and 2 1/2" strait pipe exhaust. Not too loud, but sounds pretty mean. :mrgreen:

When I hear Skib's car it sounds pretty loud at idle, but not when he steps on it. :)

I have just about the same setup as you, except I have tripple webers (thanks Zmanco) and some generic straight through bullet muffler. I thought ours sounded identical, but once I uploaded the video on youtube, I think mine sounds a bit more ricey. Anyways:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csS76v9IUbY

• 2 months later...

y'all are gonna slap me with the wrath of experience on this one ,but being a broke highschool kid I'm doing this to save myself money, heres what Im doing next week...

A 6-1 2.5" collector to a 3" all the way back, no muffler, that way when I get all of my turbo parts in the next month or so I dont have to get a whole new exhaust...

When I get my new muffler if you haven't figured out how loud that is already, I will post up a vid before I put it on, I am stock mani back 2.5 with just a muffler, it almost sounds like a v8 only a bit quieter, and I have a stock style muffler, no resonator, no cat, just strait pipe.

Edit, oh, its nice to see I am not the only broke highschool kid on here!, hoo-rah for that. I can't afford crap. Good think I am getting over 20 hours this week. Should have a tasty pay check coming!

Edited by Careless

haha, well my unemployment doesnt help my situation...

however, if you know how to work the Rich Highschool Kids, you can make some money. I buy cars off craigslist and fix them and then sell them with sound systems, and build fiberglass sub enclosures and bla bla bla. thats the only way I could have my car still functional.

back to the topic at hand, if I was to take an edumacated guess at the "ultimate" exhaust, I would have to say a dual 2.5" and do the criss cross technique, and alot of resonators like ferrari...

back to the topic at hand, if I was to take an edumacated guess at the "ultimate" exhaust, I would have to say a dual 2.5" and do the criss cross technique, and alot of resonators like ferrari...

IMHO, if you have to run an exhaust, single is generally better even for V6 and V8 engined cars - although packaging the correct sized exhaust tubing can get difficult as power levels go up. Its been discussed on this site before.

IMHO, if you have to run an exhaust, single is generally better even for V6 and V8 engined cars - although packaging the correct sized exhaust tubing can get difficult as power levels go up. Its been discussed on this site before.

I know, I recall seeing the sticky devoted to sizing and its area, ex: dual 3" is less than 4" etc..