HybridZ

Undercoating removal - WTF have I gotten myself into

Well.. this sucks...

Tools : Air Chisel and 4" angle grinder with the coarse knotted wire brush.

Time : About 10 hours now (2-3 hrs a day)

Goal : Seam weld the entire chassis, weld on new bad dog frame rails and put on a good undercoating

Um.. I should of just sand blasted it.. but I'm cheap..

DSC07565.jpg

DSC07544.jpg

DSC07566.jpg

DSC07570.jpg

DSC07571.jpg

DSC07572.jpg

DSC07573.jpg

oh wtf

Well.. it all started while I was under the car getting ready for the bad dog frame rails..

first i removed the interior.. then while i was at it.. why not prep the interior for a roll cage/bar and get all that sound deadening out so I dont catch a fire..

then under the car I hated the grinding and tight spaces and the mess all over me.. and welding upside down with it dripping on you isnt fun..

so i built a rotisserie.. then.. i said WHILE I'M AT IT.. now the car is completely apart. UGH

I wasn't happy before.. now I'm really not happy. This better be worth it

How many times did I say that while month after month went by and my car wasn't done. It is SO worth it if it comes out good. The only thing I kinda don't like is I can't get gas without someone coming up to me to talk about the car lol. I LOVE driving my car now!! Just today my daughter who didn't like riding in my loud car asked to be picked up from school in it. All her 6th grade friends said "look at that cool green car!" She said "Oh, that's my Dad's awesome car" Then thanked me for "probably maker me popular" she said. Chokes me up thinking about it.

Ha ha ha. THAT looks familiar. My car was red originally too. I mean that looks JUST like what I had to deal with. I ended up running through 4 or 5 fine wire wheels and probably a case of brake cleaner getting the rest of the tar residue off.

Good luck, and don't squirt the brake cleaner directly at the car unless you're wearing safety glasses. Nothing stings quite so bad as brake cleaner in the eye.

I spend 4 hours a day blasting. You wouldn't want to blast the undercoating. It would bounce off and you would probably warp the metal with the power you need to get off rubber. Keep doing what you are doing, then when done, blast with light pressure to clean everything up before you do whatever you do to protect it from here on in. Good luck.

Wow that looks too familiar. My advise would be to work each section hard until the metal is clean and bare for the paint to stick. I got lazy in some sections and it shows.

Also, don't get too carried away and stick with your goals. I see you wondered off into the body for "frame rails".

Looking good though. Keep at it!

Looking good, she is gonna be pretty when you are finished. Just know that its a long project and dont rush it towards the end!

And I have to ask why all the work and you still havent removed your brakes and mustache bar lol.

Im envious of 280z owners btw...having a shell still that clean after 35 years or so is awesome.

I am going to attempt this very same thing in the near future. I am not looking forward to it. Unfortunately I will be on my back, no rotisserie for me.

What are you planning on putting back on?

Hoke is right, I have undercoating and rust to tend too, yuck!

Sorry to thread jack, but 240hoke, do you have your old build pics posted up anywhere besides your old geocities site?

I wanted to check out your strut sectioning pics as well as some of the other pics. There was a ton of great info on there. Thanks -Andy

I am going to attempt this very same thing in the near future. I am not looking forward to it. Unfortunately I will be on my back, no rotisserie for me.

That makes two of us. After a long absence, I'm back in the game with a '70 240 I intend to restore. We'll be the grimy bunch before long.

Guys.. I would highly recommend building a rotisserie.. it can be done for under $200 and it is extraordinarily helpful. trust me trust me.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=152566 << linky to my build thread for the rotisserie.

I'm with you. I tried without a rotisserie first, then built one and it's so much better I can't even describe how wonderful it is. Plus whenever anyone comes over you can impress them with a trip to the garage and a spin of the car.

I'm with you. I tried without a rotisserie first, then built one and it's so much better I can't even describe how wonderful it is. Plus whenever anyone comes over you can impress them with a trip to the garage and a spin of the car.

LOL... good point... that is definitly more impressive that jack stands.

Its not that I have not considered it, I just am pinching pennys, which is hard to do building a Z.

Oh and PrO, that is an awesome write up. I have read through it like 10 times. I wanna build one, but I need more greenbacks.

You are making this so much harder than it has to be.

Try these methods:

1) Dry ice. Place dry ice against the undercoating for a bit and hit with a hammer.

2) Heat. I used this method. Heat the undercoating with a heat gun/torch and then simply scrape with a stiff putty knife. Acetone works wonders on the tar residue.