HybridZ

salvage title BECAUSE of wide body kit?

big-phil

Maybe it was meant to be the other way around..

Car has wide body because of the salvage title.

Dunno. :ugg:

Once a car in California hits a wrecking yard it will usually receive a Salvage Title. A perfect car could be sitting in someones garage. If they have Pick-N-Pull pick it up then they can part it out or sell it whole. If they sell it whole the buyer is responsible for having a Smog, Brake, and Light check done. Then CA DMV will issue a title with "Salvaged" marked on it.

Just because it is a salvage noted title does not mean it was wrecked either. Many cars are stolen and stripped to the point that the insurance company writes it off.

To me, "Salvage noted Title" means take a closer look.

speaking of titles, what would i do about my 240 if i ever did get it up and running? i bought it from a guy who just had a bunch of cars sitting around and he didnt have the title. i got a bill of sale from him and everything, but no title. just wondering what the processes involved in getting one and the costs as well if anyone knows.

thanks!

This is what I had to do in Oregon to get a title for my dirt bike: Go to the DMV with the bill of sale and they will give you information on the last regestered owner of the car and a form releasing it to you. You send the form signature recept to the owner from the post office, then if they receve it hopefully they sign the papers and send them back to you. From there you go to the DMV and to a title transfer. If the package gets there, but that person no longer lives at the adress the DMV has listed, then I beleve they treat that like a lost title. Where it gets tricky (and this happend to my friend) is when they get it and don't send it back, now you have a problem. He has an investagator with the DMV trying to resolve his title problem now, and has been waiting for over six months to get his title. Again, not sure if its the same everywhere but just an example of what you may be in for.

The car has salvaged title because the car has been sitting too long in my garage and we prefer not to pay for the registration, that's why DMV decided to put the car as salvaged title. Right now the car has a new 2010 California tag.

This statement tells me they did not put it in non-op status. CA DMV will keep tacking on fee's and penalties. I will bet good money that they had some one at a tow company lien sale it or they had a connection in a wrecking yard to get the car junked. CA DMV will not allow a common person to "Junk" their car if any fee's are due. Been there, done that. Once it is in "Junk" status, fee's and penalties disappear. It is then up to the new owner to re-register it. That means smog, brake and light check.

Crazy, yes. But that is what we have to put up with in California. It used to be a car would "Fall off the books" after 5 years. Not so anymore. An unregistered vehicle cannot have it's wheels touch a state road without a moving permit. And guess what? All fee's have to be paid before they give you one. You can legally trailer it, but car dollies are out.

Fact is you will probably see a lot of Z's with salvage titles here in California. Nothing wrong with them other than someone took the time to save them from the crusher.

Not even a car dollie? CRAZY!

This is a little off track, but another unbelievable California story. I recently bought a 2 stroke dirt bike from my Brother (who lives in Cali). I guess they have a bunch of regulations agents 2 strokes now down there? He said he rolled it out of the back of the truck and had it sitting agents a tree in a riding area and got a ticket. My Brother told the ranger he was not riding it, but helping his Daughter on her bike. The ranger said he couldn't even have the tires in the dirt. What the heck is going on down there in Cali?

"sitting agents a tree in a riding area"

I'm sorry if this is off topic and anal, but I just spent 5 minutes trying to understand what you meant! "Against" would be used for when something is leaning "against" something else. "Agents" would be like a James Bond, double-o "agent".

Insanely ridiculous about not being allowed to have tires in the dirt, though! That's just nuts.

Well its some what stock, I see a ZX radiator, no EGR, or charcoal canister and a hack job of a car alarm instal maybe????

But I would be cautious, look at how clean and painted it is, even if there is a chance it has a gallon of bondo..... the engine bay is trashed and so is the hood! There is likly rust under all that paint!

you dont have to smog any pre75 vehicle, regardless of how long it has been sitting, what the title is, or if you lost the title, after 5 years, you have to have a cHP inspection, which is, vin's, seatbelts and lights. or the DMV might just do a vin check. you CAN trailer it and use a tow dolly, but you can't use a tow bar.

(And if your feeling really lucky, when a cop pulls you over for no registration, you should be able to BS them, to get off with a stern warning and maybe some hassling.)

The last line of the seller's ad says it all.....

"I encourage all buyer to inspect vehicle prior to bidding or making offer."

Statements like that are often followed by, "Sorry, I warned you to inspect it first." after the sale.

My Z sat dormant in California for about 15 years on "non-op" status. There was no need to pay annual registration fees and all it took to get tags was the prorated fee for the year I finally put it back on the road. There must be more to this Z's story.

Dennis