HybridZ

Looking for Nintendo 64 system

jbk240z

Hello all,

My 9 year old son is getting into the older video games and would like a Nintendo 64 console with games preferably. We keep losing our bids on ebay, craigslist does not have much either. If you have one to get rid of, please let us know.

Thanks, Jason

Wow I remember growing up and playing the N64, and how BAD those controllers were. Whoever designed those things should have been shot. Any reason you're not going with some of the newer consoles?

Those controllers are the best. I think its awesome he wants an n64, Its the only system i play. I personally own three.

Get these games to start. super smash bros, mario cart, tony hawk pro skater, zelda ocarina of time, and mario party.

Last time I checked, I had 13 consoles connected to my tv...not one of them was an Atari. Make sure you get Goldeneye 007 while you're game shopping for that system, it's the original console shooter that was worth playing, which is amazing considering it was a licensed Intellectual Property (which are notorious for being awful). The Zelda games were also good, and if you're into strategy/RPG games, I reccomend Ogre Battle 64 (but that title can be hard to come by these days).

why not go for a wii instead? (unless you already have one) Many N64 titles are available for purchase/download, including the 64 greats like Zelda, and Mario kart - plus the added benefit of not having to play with the ridiculous 64 controller mentioned above.

Not only that, your son can get as old school as SNES and NES with those downloads, plus since the wii is really just the gamecube 1.5 as far as hardware goes, it's backwards compatible with hundreds of 3 dollar gamecube games.

Id say this is best bang for the buck for old school gaming.

If you're looking for older games and consoles, the Play N Trade in my area (individually owned chain store, so far as i know) has a much much better selection than gamestop. I'm often able to get TurboGrafx 16 games at my local one, and I've even seen some Atari Jaguar and 3DO games. They usually have a bin of N64 titles, and many many consoles of all generations (even had a Sega 32X at one point).

http://www.playntrade.com/

In reply to what Valmont said, if your goal is simply to play the games, and not collect the hardware, the Wii is most likely going to be your best bet. You can plug in some Gamecube controllers to get the classic feel, and it allows you to buy games for consoles that would be prohibitively expensive to collect in their original form (i'm looking at you, turboGrafxCD and NeoGeo games...TurboGrafx CD consoles routinely sell for $900-most of the good games were never translated to English, and Neo Geo AES games are still $199-$299, which is how much they cost new). I feel a certain pride of ownership personally when I actually have the original title and can play it on the original system, but if you intend to be more of a player than a collector, Wii is probably the way to go.

Those controllers are the best. I think its awesome he wants an n64, Its the only system i play. I personally own three.

Get these games to start. super smash bros, mario cart, tony hawk pro skater, zelda ocarina of time, and mario party.

I whole heartedly agree. I have both a Nintendo Wii and a Playstation 3, yet my Nintendo 64 sees about as much use as both those new systems. Super Smash Bros is an awesome game to play with friends, and despite being a decade old, The Legend of Zelda OOT is one of my favorite games of all time. Don't forget the Mario Party games, me and my friends would spend hours upon hours playing those together as well....for me the Nintendo 64 is almost a nostalgic system, it and the Playstation are what me and my friends grew up with, so it's got that special place in my heart. Oh! Don't forget Starfox either =P Super Mario 64 was great too

Have you checked Craigslist? because there are a few listings from about 20 bucks to 80.

Just thought I would point that out here are some links for ya.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/1389368415.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/vgm/1381158996.html

I will also ask my brother if there might be a place in town with one, i think there used to be an old gaming system place.

yea issue with that is i trust you guys more than i do some random guy in denver when it will also have to be shipped to tx and alot of craigslist guys dont like/havent shipped before. as wel as i cant really test it out and make sure its working properly before i spend money on it and shipping before i get it.