HybridZ

simple way to avoid paypal fees!

1 tuff z

i discovered a way to avoid the paypal fee they charge to receive funds. this works great when you know someone and are simply sending $ to one another-like we do with group buys and so forth.

when you click the tab 'send money' then about 1/2 way down the page you can choose either the 'purchase' tab or 'personal' tab. of course, purchase is the default.

select the 'personal' tab and then the 'gift' radio button.

complete the remaining blanks, hit 'send' and your funds are now transferred unmolested!

i discovered a way to avoid the paypal fee they charge to receive funds. this works great when you know someone and are simply sending $ to one another-like we do with group buys and so forth.

when you click the tab 'send money' then about 1/2 way down the page you can choose either the 'purchase' tab or 'personal' tab. of course, purchase is the default.

select the 'personal' tab and then the 'gift' radio button.

complete the remaining blanks, hit 'send' and your funds are now transferred unmolested!

Good to know for transferring my friends money for parts. Thanks!

point taken [and previously considered] as i would only use the 'gift' feature with someone i trust and/or have a solid transaction history with. otherwise, the [limited] protection pp provides is a benefit.

This could be potentialy dangerous if you recieve a bad product and need paypal's help with getting your money back. I don't think they offer protection when someone just sends you free money. Paying the fee is worth it in some situations.

Is that cheating? I've seen it many times. I've always been honest and chose "purchase" when it was to buy stuffs (even when I knew nothing bad could happen)

Could Paypal find out and charge us some fees for mis-information?

I don't think it is cheating as long as you use it as it was intended for. If it were cheating, then PayPal would not have even enabled as such.

If your trying to get out of the fees because of something you sold, yes it is cheating.

If your buying a part for a friend or sending money to a relative, then no it is not cheating, it's common sense!

I think it's duplicitious that Pay Pal doesn't make this option known more openly! They are sucking fees for a service they are not really providing. In my instances I have paid for someone's hotel room or something and left town before they were paid, a wire transfer or bank funds transfer is impossibly complex in the USA (not so in Europe where it's fee free for the most part) so having them 'wire' me the money through Pay Pal was always a punishment on their part because they always thought they would have to add 3% so they didn't stiff me for helping them out.

I for one, really appreciate this little tidbit, because someone will be doing a transfer of around 400 Euros to me... if it can go to a Paypal Account as Euros, then I can use it as such for purchases without incurring their international funds conversion fee as well. I can just park the money there for future use. Kind of like keeping local currency for use when you return.

For cost reimbursement of something already done, cut, and dried, this would be the way to do it. There shouldn't be a fee associated with it given they will nail you for a crappy conversion rate on an international transaction anyway.

This reminds me, I got to send someone $500 for some bits....hmmmmm...how convienient...

• 1 month later...

i received this email from paypal today...:(

Hello david,

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and we

are not able to respond to inquiries sent to this e-mail address.

We recently changed our pricing so that all PayPal customers can receive

money from friends and family within the US for free. PayPal merchants

receiving money as payment for a purchase continue to incur fees.

We’re not sure if you are aware of this, but we noticed that some of

your customers are sending you personal payments for purchases.

Unfortunately, this violates our rules and we need your help correcting

this. Please don’t ask or allow your customers to use personal payments

for their purchases.

If we continue to see such activity after Dec. 2, 2009, we may have to

disable your ability to receive personal payments and then you will pay

fees for all money received through PayPal.

You can find more information about payment types and fees in sections

4.2 and 8 of our User Agreement – just click “Legal Agreements†at the

bottom of any PayPal page.

If you have any questions, concerns, or think we may have made a

mistake, please contact us at http://www.paypal.com/contactus. Thank you for

helping us resolve this matter.

Sincerely,

PayPal

The last time I tried using that method to pay for my tension rod purchase from a member here, they blocked it from going thru, as long as I tried using AMEX or my Paypal CC to fund the payment.

Soon as I switched the payment method over to using my checking account/ debit card, it was allowed to process.... ??

The problem here is, your customers are prolly putting what they are paying for in type, which prolly draws a red flag...