HybridZ

Can an intercooler be to large?

luvmy280zxt

I recently installed an aftermarked I/C. I beleive the size is 23 by 17 by 3. Since i installed it, the car shaked,sputters,(etc) quiet violently. I removed it and reinstalled the original j-pipe and everything seems to be fine? The inter cooler was originally intended for a toyota supra(2JZ). The out lets are 3in on both sides, which i routed into 2 1/2 inch pipeing. I have a manual boost control whis I set at 10 psi. This is on a 81 zxt.

Thank you

What does your boost gauge read for vacuum with the intercooler installed? Has the IC been pressure tested?

It sounds like there was a vacuum leak introduced when the intercooler was installed.

To answer your original question, yes, an intercooler can be 'too big.'

I would recommend a pressure release valve (in this case BOV) in almost any turbocharged system. Are they absolutely required in low boost, low airflow systems? Probably not. However when set up properly (recirculation with a draw through MAF setup) they'll increase performance, extend the life of your turbocharger, and draw less attention from the fuzz.

Have you read the book 'maximum boost' by Corky Bell? If you haven't it's a good read to get you up to speed on the basic design of turbocharger systems, even if the book is quite old.

Thanx 4 the quick responces. Sorry I have not read the book Maximum Boost. I will put that on my list of things to order! As for the the thing that connects to runner #4, I never removed it. Should I have? All i did remove was the POV and some of the vacume lines that run across the top of the eng. I did plug everything up. I spoke to a friend and he informed me that he remembers that the 81 zxt had a stock bov incorporated on the eng. I guess the I/C I have might be a bit of an over kill. Guess i have my weekend laid out for me.

• 2 months later...

I am not sure I agree with all the comments.

I ran the large Isuzu NPR for several years and currently running a custom and very large x-flow intercooler now with 2.5" inlet and outlet with a TiAL BOV and stock EFI and my car runs great..no idle issues and no shaking etc.

My TiAL is vented to atmosphere and before that I ran the HKS SSQ and also had it vented to atmosphere..again no issues. In fact at 12psi the car ran incredibly.

I am thinking you have a leak somewhere.

Yasin

As stated above by slowrusty, you probably have a leak either in the new IC or it's plumbing. A properly sized IC is the appropriate way to go, but I seriously doubt an over sized one would cause the condition you have described. Do some reading and you will learn how a basic turbo system works. The Garrett website has some very good information that you should read. Here is the link to it. http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/faqs.html

Ok, Well this is what i have in my system. The ports on my IC are 3 inches wide, reduced to 2.5. I have my bov located 4 inches in front of my tb. Which is the stock zxt tb by the way. I had to take the stock J-pipe and saw it just infront of the outlet tube that runs into the manifold. I added a reducer from the 2.5 pipe comming from the ic to the part of the j-pipe i kept. So i beleive flow is ok. When i removed my bov and substituted a regular 2.5 pipe in its place the car seems to run a lot better, except i hear a whoosh of air comming out of the intake??? So im going out to the garage right now to try to plumb in my bov inbetween the afm and turbo.

Well Im back in and i found a few things that i beleive i did wrong. 1st off I have a Greddy type s "purple top bov". I went out side and was looking at my set up. After a few minutes of staring at it, I realized that I had my bov located in the wrong spot. As compared to pics i searched for and how the install has been written up. I actually installed my bov inbetween the turbo and the ic instead of infront of the Tb. FU@k me!!!!!! Second it was not being recirculated back into the afm/turbo charge pipe. FU@k me again. So if I understand everything I've read correctly...maybe not. The BOV HAS to be inbetween the TB and IC. The closer to the TB the better?? Also once i install the BOV correctly, can i remove the stock bov that is located on the number 4 runner? Im sure both will not be need as stated in another thread.

Thank You!!

• Administrators
The BOV HAS to be inbetween the TB and IC.

No, it doesnt. There are advantages to mounting it either way. That's not what's causing your problem.

Plug the BOV and re-test. It's easy and should narrow down the problem.

Also once i install the BOV correctly, can i remove the stock bov that is located on the number 4 runner?

Yes.

I think you'll find that you're on the right track to resolving the issue, but it does sound like you are still in 'beginner's league' at turbo school.

So...

if words fail you when trying to describe the setup, post pics, they will help a lot.

:)

Thanx everyone for all the info, I recirculated it into the #4 runner and it works like a champ!! As for beginer league, thanx for letting me know! I try to word things the best that I can, I mostly work on FA-18e,f,g models so in the avation world we sumtimes have to give parts new names. Again thank you, much happier now cuz I can finally enjoy what 13 psi feels like!!