HybridZ

Opinions sought - keep stock guages?

ktm

I have a quandry. I love the look of the stock gauges, but given my setup I should really be running gauges that provide more accurate data. However, I really like the look of the gauges and they go with my whole theme for the car.

What are everyone's opinions? Should I forgo the gauges and install some Speedhut or Autometer gauges given my setup? Is relative information good enough for a car that will rarely see a track?

I am really torn.

what is your setup?

I personally think having accurate information on the cars vital's is well, vital.

I like the autometer look (I have 6 autometer gauges) and most people don't even notice the tach/speedo are different than stock.

I've been through a few variations on gauges in my 240 so far.

1 - Original (obviously)

1a - Original with 280Z Volt gauge inplace of Amps gauge.

2 - Modified Sunbird quad gauge cluster installed in original Tach opening/housing, with a small (2" ) tach, 2 5/8" Auto Meter vac/boost gauge and 2" Auto Meter Air/fuel ratio gauge installed in the trio openings.

3- Current set-up is 5" Auto Meter in stock tach opening (snug fit), 2 5/8" Auto Meter Vac/Boost, 2 5/8" Auto Meter Oil Press, 2 5/8" Auto Meter Water Temp in the trio openings, with 2" Auto Meter gauges in the radio opening of Volts, Air/Fuel, and Fuel level.

I'm now looking for a different way to get all the information, I'm leaning towards either retrofitting some newer gauges into the stock housings, so that I have two gauges per opening again, or buying something pre-made that could do the same.

If it wasn't for the price and the fact that they don't look all that great, I'd get some gauges from: http://www.spatechnique.com/

Guest Gr8White
I should really be running gauges that provide more accurate data.

I think you answered your own question. I tend to do that too....

Aftermarket gauges look great if done right and you get better functionality. I was torn too but didn't like the thought of trusting my new setup with 30 year old gauges, I'm going Autometer. Keep in mind that I have a Fox body Stang too (and prior to owning my Z), so I'm already gun shy of stock gauges. My 5.0s gauges really sucked and the 85 mph speedometer made the choice easy.

Oddjob, that looks good, a lot better than I was envisioning. I really like the spare tire storage area as well. You've given me some inspiration.

Thanks. Here's a bit more information:

The three gauges in the dash cluster are 2 5/8", which fit perfectly. They are also analog, and read even with the car shut off.

The two in the A-pillar pod are 2 1/8", and the pod itself is the Miata pod identified as the best fit elsewhere on Hybrid Z. These two gauges are electrical.

I used Sport -Comp because they matched the stock tach and speedo, because this line is available in both sizes, and because this line comes in both analog and electrical.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a quandry. I love the look of the stock gauges, but given my setup I should really be running gauges that provide more accurate data. However, I really like the look of the gauges and they go with my whole theme for the car.

What are everyone's opinions? Should I forgo the gauges and install some Speedhut or Autometer gauges given my setup? Is relative information good enough for a car that will rarely see a track?

I am really torn.

Anything is better than originals. Like the speedhut and revolution I think either way is huge improvement over stock.