HybridZ

You have failed me for the last time...

veritech-z

Like 6-8 weeks ago, the fuel pump went out, and took a ton of other crap with it. I finally got all that sorted out yesterday, drove it two miles up the road to put air in the tires. I heard a loud clunk-ish noise, and the engine quit. The starter won't turn it over, just sounds like it's hitting the flywheel and stopping. I'm thinking the best case scenario is a bad headgasket with water leaking into the cylnders (thus preventing it from turning over), worst case is the engine is totally slagged. Neither of these scenarios is particularly attractive to me, as I don't have anywhere I can take the head off anymore (don't work at the dealership, and i live in a townhome with a draconion HOA), and I don't have the resources to just swap the whole engine out.

You don't think it's a bad ground / loose battery connection or something like that, to where it didn't allow the EFI to work properly, and was too much resistance for the starter? I don't know if I would jump into fluid pouring in the cylinders just yet. You could take the plugs out and see if the engine will spin over. I've had to do that a couple times with flood vehicles, and another guy that added too much oil to his engine and hydrolocked it.

no, I'd spent the whole day up to that point on the wiring, i'm pretty sure it's as tight is it can be. I had it do this with the headgasket once before. I have my MS on a switch, so i can engage just the starter (which is on IT'S own button) with nothing else turned on, and it still won't turn over. I haven't looked at it all that hard, but I have had it lock up once in the past like this and it turned out to be water on the cylinders. It could be something else, it's just my suspicion right now without doing any real exhaustive testing.

Guest Rolling Parts

They are definitely "hobby" cars because chances are zero of finding immediate parts for it if something breaks when traveling. Even now I'm down for a week waiting on a manifold gasket from Nissan.

Yeah, I think it's just a case of too many things going wrong with it at the wrong time in my life. The car is definitely not a priority for me right now, and getting rid of it definitely feels the path of least resistance. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to miss it, but I just don't think it's in the cards right now.

I know what you're going through all too well. The last few months especially, my zx has started a chain reaction of cataclysmic f*** ups.

I don't have the guts to sell it even though it pisses me off to no end, so I have to try dealing with it, usually I'll just leave the car alone for a few days and clean up some parts or something instead, but I do have a few holes in the garage walls from when things go really bad.

Usually it's the time to re-do/fix up whatever went wrong that pisses me off, so maybe call some friends around to help make the job easier.

Suck it up and get over it..................

You will regret selling the beast! Step back and take a breather till your ready to get back at her......you will enjoy it more than your first time.

Ive been at mine for 18 years! You dont think Ive had moments of hell...:flamedevi? Believe me, speaking from experience.......you will survive!:burnout:

Max, I'd say if you have a place where you can store it for free or very little money, do that. Otherwise, sell it and when you graduate and have a job and are more settled buy a new Z and do her up right. From what I can remember about your car off the top of my head I'd say it's going to take a lot of time and money to get it to the point where it's reliable. Look around, ask your grandparents, uncles, great aunts etc. if they have space to store it without being a burden; otherwise it's not your first Z and I'm sure it won't be your last.

Just my $.02

Ben

We'll see. I'm not going to be able to take a look at it again until Wednesday. Depending on what I discover then I'll have to make the call. I'll definitely regret letting it go if that's what ends up happening, since I've got so much time and parts-scrounging and deal making tied up in it. I got it a few months before I got married, and it kind of feels like part of the family. I'll be a lot more picky about which one I get and what I do to it if I end up getting another one. I've been out of school and working for awhile now, the problem is that I work in Orlando, and I live in Tampa (90mi one-way commute). I've been working for a startup game developer and I don't have any benefits, which means that my wife can't quit her job to move to Orlando. I've been trying find a job at a larger company, which most likely is going to mean moving out of state. Transporting a dead car to who knows where isn't going to be any fun at all.

Oh ok, I didn't realize you already graduated. Congrats! If you do end up moving and have to come through Nebraska, you could always drop it off here ;) j/k

Since you have graduated, I'd lean a little more heavily towards storing it/ keeping it, but still remember it's not the end of the world if you do have to give it up.