HybridZ

comp cams zddp additive

hey guys i have been reading alot about zddp and i know its kinda old news but i wanted to let you guys know i found a really good zddp product, its made by comp cams and its not a break in lube only for applying directly to engine parts, its an oil additive, it looks and smells jut like motor oil, i called comp cams and they told me it would bring the zddp levels up to about 1400-1500ppm. this stuff definitely helps i noticed almost right away that my head ticking quieted down, my start ups were quite a bit smoother especially when cold. i bought it off the shelf from a speed shop in san jose, ca, cost me $15.00 from what i have discovered there are other oils and addtives with zddp, but not the correct ppm which is 1400-1800, and it can be added to synthetics as well just though i would share

IMO Diesel Oil's are meant for diesels. I used Rotella in my Mini before it cracked a head and I rebuilt the motor. Running the car for 5k and the engine was already entirely coated in sludge. Not worth the lack of detergents in the oil.

To travlnman, yes diesel oils have high zddp, but many, not all, do not hve the ability to keep the engine clean. Crane cams ad comp cams both sell a break in oil additive with high zddp that can be added to any oil, even synthetic and it only takes one bottle

Guest Rolling Parts

I was reading this link this morning that describes what they call a problem with new oil on older engines: http://www.aa1car.com/library/api_motor_oil_classifications.htm

On a personal note I think it's pure BS for street driven low power L28 engines to worry about "experimenting" with using diesel oil. The new oils are so superior in so many ways that focusing on just ONE aspect of the overall oil performance is no reason to chuck the whole thing for some oil intended for an entirely different engine operating conditions.

If you're into racing, big cams and high revving, then of course you're already aware that "added" protection for that situation is a good thing.

You fellas need to spend some time on BITOG (bob is the oil guy) website. There is no "diesel" oil. They are called HDEO's (heavy duty engine oil). They are primarily used by diesel engines. Diesel engines produce way more acids and sludge generating byproducts than our little engines could dream of. Any modern "diesel " oil will have plenty of detergents. Your mini did not sludge from a diesel oil, there was another reason. The website above is loaded with plenty of people with more than a passing knowledge of oils. These guys don't speculate, or rely on rumor, and any of them on there will tell you the opposite of what you have heard here. Rotella 5w40 synthetic is available at wal-mart , advance , auto zone, pep boys etc. All are about the same price. At this site you can see the VOA (Virgin oil analysis) that shows zinc content,and among other things, the detergent additives present . I assure you , Rotella, Delo , Mobil Delvac, they have no idea what kind of engine they are going into. My Z loves Rotella, and it's slowly cleaning out the varnish of the last 31 years. I even used Rotella 15w40 in my bike, worked awesome ! But , to each his own I always say.

Long story short,bryand2 I'm not throwing stones at anybody. But you have heard two totally conflicting opinions here. My point is , go to the source and get facts, not rumor , or conjecture. I do not intend to start an oil war, which is waaayy to easy . People are crazy about oil, trust me. Don't believe me, or anyone else in this thread. Go to BITOG, read, read, read. Ask questions, they will answer them. Some of the people there are chemists, and have worked , or are working in the oil industry now. I thought I knew oil, then I found BITOG, turns out, I barely even knew how to change my oil compared to these guys. Check it out, make your own decision that's all :)

Long story short,bryand2 I'm not throwing stones at anybody. But you have heard two totally conflicting opinions here. My point is , go to the source and get facts, not rumor , or conjecture. I do not intend to start an oil war, which is waaayy to easy . People are crazy about oil, trust me. Don't believe me, or anyone else in this thread. Go to BITOG, read, read, read. Ask questions, they will answer them. Some of the people there are chemists, and have worked , or are working in the oil industry now. I thought I knew oil, then I found BITOG, turns out, I barely even knew how to change my oil compared to these guys. Check it out, make your own decision that's all :)

+1.

Anyone who says "Don't believe me, go read my source" has no ego to bruise.

And as for worrying about what kind of oil you put in a bone stock DD L28.. someone needs to read on why ZDDP is so desirable in our engines. The short version is, modern motor oils can contribute to the utter destruction of your camshaft.

Yes the lack of zddp can do alot of damage to cars with flat tappets, lifters, or like our z's have, "followers". Im not knocking STP's stuff im sure it works just as well, I mean the bottom line is as long as your getting the zddp in there, thats all that matters and the reason it is crucial for our engines is because zddp is an extreme pressure additive, which all the above mentioned engines experience ad it creates a slicker lucricating surface on the flat tappets and specifically the surface of the cam lobes.

No ego here guys. This forum is for us to help each other, not impress each other. We need the ZDDP in our cars for them to work the best. Not having it can range from minor, to disaster. To the Original Poster, there are lots of ways to accomplish the higher amounts, just pick whichever makes you feel warm and fuzzy and use that, my feelings won't get hurt. :)

Guest Rolling Parts
Not having it can range from minor, to disaster.

What data or personal experience do you have? I'm just curious because I've been running the newer oils in DD's for a long time with no can-additives and no disaster has befallen me.

I want to separate the science from the superstition. The data I have shows differently so I'd want opposing data if you have it. anyone on pure stock applications had a cam disaster traced specifically to a lubrication failure?